“Dinner with friends” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Cena Ristorante y Enoteca

A Cena Ristorante y Enoteca
7742 SE 13th Avenue, Portland, OR 97202 (Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League)
503.206.3291
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
A Cena Ristorante y Enoteca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 3,557 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Sellwood - Moreland Improvement League
Cross street: SE Lambert St.
Transit: Several on 13th Street
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Dinner with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A Cena is a favorite with our friends that live nearby and in fact they've used a Cena on more than one occasion to cater their parties. The restaurant is a little further afield for us, but we made the trek across town to meet these friends and another couple last week for dinner. I love the casual air of the place, and yet it has that "special dinner" feeling. We had a wonderful crustini appetizer and a nice bottle of Chianti. There was much discussion about what to order, and we pretty much covered the menu between the six of us. I had the butternut squash ravioli and it couldn't have been better, it was completely delicious. My husband had a lobster and pasta dish and it was creamy and rich and from what I tasted, over the moon good. All the while we talked and talked and ate and drank and all the while the wait staff kept glasses filled and plates cleared without interrupting our good time. The atmosphere is welcoming, the food is fabulous and the service is seamless. If you're out for a nice evening, you can't go wrong at a Cena. P.S. It was worth the drive across town.

Portland, Oregon
“Extremely pleased, and looking forward to eating my way through the menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This restaurant had been off my radar, although my wife and I used to eat at the place that was previously in this spot. I regret this - we have missed years of excellent dining! Luckily, we finally wised up, and tried A Cena last week. I'm happy to report it was fantastic, start to finish.

We got a friendly welcome when we walked in the door, and were immediately taken to our table (yes, Virginia - reservations are a good idea). Decor is cozy, tables are a little small & close together, but we're not unused to that. Service was attentive without being cloying, and waiter was very knowledgeable about the food; for wine questions, he went and asked the bar, which is good - he wasn't too proud to admit he didn't have all the answers, AND the advice we got was spot on.

Food was delicious - started with the baked Scamorza cheese, shared between two people. A gooey cheesefest! Smokey flavor of the melted cheese combined with crispy toasted ciabatta was a delight. Entrées were Pappardelle with duck confit and Tagliatelli with wild boar bolognaise -- impossible to say which was better. One note - as mentioned by other reviewers, portions are large - we could have easily shared one of these plates. Pasta dishes are offered in half sizes, which you might consider if you want to have dessert; we didn't, and we couldn't!

Portland, Oregon
“A Great Italian Restaurant in SE Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went to this restaurant for an early Friday evening dinner and it is a good thing because the place filled up fast. Much has been said about this restaurant in previous reviews and I have to agree, this is one of the premier Italian restaurants in Portland, OR. There are numerous Italian restaurant in Portland that try real hard but don't quite measure up. A Cena exceeds both in atmosphere, quality and service. If you are looking for a “true” Italian dinner place, you won't go wrong here.

• Visited October 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Great Italian and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was a great dining experience. Service outstanding! The food was also very good. My only disappointment was in the portion sizes. We shared a salad and app then each ordered our own dinner portion of pasta. Each plate could have easily feed 2 or 3- very large and rich. I wish the server would have told us this and we would have been happy with the smaller size. The pastas come in 2 sizes. Anyway, that is something we will keep in mind when we go back. We will be back for sure! Some of the best service in Portland and excellent Italian food. Not a place to bring small children by the way.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“The best meal I had all year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The atmosphere was wonderful. The owner/host and his wife are friendly and welcoming. The chef is amazing. The food was all expertly matched with the wine. The sweet corn ravioli was my favorite dish. The service was outstanding. What more can I say, this place is fantastico!

• Visited August 2012