Even though I live in Portland, I decided to stay at Hotel Modera while attending a busy week long conference in downtown Portland. This gave me the chance to play “visitor” in my hometown.
Hotel Modera combines exceptional service, stylishly modern and comfortable rooms with surprising value. Before new ownership, remodeling and rebranding, the building was a rundown budget motel that most Portlanders hoped would be razed. The reincarnation as a small boutique hotel is amazing! The public areas are dramatic including the garden courtyard complete with fire pits.
The location is a little south of Pioneer Courthouse Square (close to Portland State University) but certainly within walking or biking range of just about everything in downtown Portland. It’s on the MAX yellow and green lines, so transportation anywhere in the Metro region is simple. I parked my car and used my own two feet and bicycle to get around.
1) Without question friendly, accommodating service is THE major plus. All of the staff are IMMEDIATELY responsive. In my case I thought I had misplaced while checking in my camera bag containing an expensive Nikon SLR and two lenses. Within minutes of calling the front desk and without prompting, it was found in my car after it had been parked by the valet. Of course, I had forgotten to take it out of the car!
2) Nicely furnished and equipped rooms in a sleek, contemporary style. I would recommend the garden rooms.
3) Wireless Wi-Fi access everywhere with iMAC desktops available in the lobby for guest use.
4) Nel Centro Restaurant, which is part of a local mini-restaurant empire created by David Machado. A sister restaurant in Portland is the highly regarded Lauro Kitchen.
5) Complimentary 24 Hour Fitness access one block away. The hotel provides towels for gym use. There is an indoor lap pool at this facility, but it’s only two lanes wide and very busy.
1) Despite the renovation and new interior design, Hotel Modera still has something of a “motel feel,” especially the exterior appearance and interior hallways.
2) I happened to stay during one of Portland’s “heat waves” when the temperature peaked for a day at 97. The room A/C could not keep up and ran constantly 24 hours a day. Fortunately, the ventilation system was only moderately noisy and didn’t prevent me from sleeping. I imagine that during more typical Portland weather, this will not be a problem.
Overall, Hotel Modera provides excellent value given the hotel design and amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The rooms are indulged with the softest linen, down blankets and a luxurious pillow top mattress. Our desk includes outlets that are easily accessible with a comfortable leather desk chair. Tarocco bath products are formulated with Sicilian Red Oranges. Amenities include free wireless, passes to 24 Hour Fitness, iPod docking stereo, LCD TVs with HD premium channels, mini refrigerator, made-to-order amenity basket, and an in-room safe big enough to accommodate a full size laptop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, AAA Travel Services, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Modera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Modera Hotel Portland