“Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Portland, OR
“Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Even though I live in Portland, I decided to stay at Hotel Modera while attending a busy week long conference in downtown Portland. This gave me the chance to play “visitor” in my hometown.

Hotel Modera combines exceptional service, stylishly modern and comfortable rooms with surprising value. Before new ownership, remodeling and rebranding, the building was a rundown budget motel that most Portlanders hoped would be razed. The reincarnation as a small boutique hotel is amazing! The public areas are dramatic including the garden courtyard complete with fire pits.

The location is a little south of Pioneer Courthouse Square (close to Portland State University) but certainly within walking or biking range of just about everything in downtown Portland. It’s on the MAX yellow and green lines, so transportation anywhere in the Metro region is simple. I parked my car and used my own two feet and bicycle to get around.

ADVANTAGES:
1) Without question friendly, accommodating service is THE major plus. All of the staff are IMMEDIATELY responsive. In my case I thought I had misplaced while checking in my camera bag containing an expensive Nikon SLR and two lenses. Within minutes of calling the front desk and without prompting, it was found in my car after it had been parked by the valet. Of course, I had forgotten to take it out of the car!
2) Nicely furnished and equipped rooms in a sleek, contemporary style. I would recommend the garden rooms.
3) Wireless Wi-Fi access everywhere with iMAC desktops available in the lobby for guest use.
4) Nel Centro Restaurant, which is part of a local mini-restaurant empire created by David Machado. A sister restaurant in Portland is the highly regarded Lauro Kitchen.
5) Complimentary 24 Hour Fitness access one block away. The hotel provides towels for gym use. There is an indoor lap pool at this facility, but it’s only two lanes wide and very busy.

DISADVANTAGES:
1) Despite the renovation and new interior design, Hotel Modera still has something of a “motel feel,” especially the exterior appearance and interior hallways.
2) I happened to stay during one of Portland’s “heat waves” when the temperature peaked for a day at 97. The room A/C could not keep up and ran constantly 24 hours a day. Fortunately, the ventilation system was only moderately noisy and didn’t prevent me from sleeping. I imagine that during more typical Portland weather, this will not be a problem.

Overall, Hotel Modera provides excellent value given the hotel design and amenities.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We loved this charming little boutique hotel right in the heart of downtown Portland! The service was great, the staff knowledgable, the location convenient, the food great! During check-in, we mentioned off hand that it was our anniversary, and found a bottle of Prosecco waiting for us in our room when we arrived not five minutes later. I'm still not sure how it got there before us:)?! In addition, the lovely and kind woman at the front desk gave us an incredible recommendation for dinner, and knew the food/bar scene in Portland very well. My husband and definitely appreciated that! We had breakfast in the adjoining restaurant in the morning, and found the menu focused, yet innovative. It was reasonably priced, and quite tasty. I have only great things to say about this hotel, and look forward to returning soon! Great value for sure!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We really enjoyed the quality of Hotel Modera. Everything was first class without the huge feeling of so many other hotels. You felt taken care of rather then just put into room number 1201 on the 12th floor. The staff went out of there way to make it a memorable occaision. The restaurant on site served a unique and refreshing menu that demanded recipes that had to be taken home. Really enjoyed our stay and we will be back again!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Thought we'd try something new on a long w/end out to Portland; so glad we did. The Hotel Modera was a good change. How you ask? Good downtown Portland location, hospitable & accomodating staff, convenient & available amenities (free wireless I-net & free biz center); and comfortable, although a little small, rooms. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend to anyone travelling to downtown Portland.

east coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is ok with their room in the 72-75 degree range. If you like a colder room at night, like I do, stay at a different hotel where you can control the a/c. Here, if the outside temp is moderate (like in the high 70's) all you can get is "ambient air" (the exact term the hotel staff used). The thermostats say the temp can reach as low at 65, but our room never got below the 70's.

Staff, restaurant, room service, courtyard, neighborhood were all wonderful. Even the valet parking was easy and efficient. If they improve their a/c I'd go back, or perhaps I'd return in a cooler season.

Orange County, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

This beautiful hotel in the heart of Portland, OR well exceeded our expectations in all ways. It has a charm that's hard to describe, from the room itself, to its lovely courtyard and lobby. The staff was more than helpful and pleasant and friendly. We can't wait to go back. The restaurant and bar area are so charming. The menu is very nice and the food delicious. The only slight problem with the food (we ate there several times) is that the food was a little on the not warm enough side. Once the chefs get their timing coordinated in order that the food is served hot, it will be great. We will definitely stay at Hotel Modera on our next trip to Portland!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Hotel Modera is an trendy upscale hotel located in the heart of downtown Portland. I was in Room 517 with a nice city view. The neighborhood - just a couple of blocks from PSU Portland State University - is clean, safe, and very walkable.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Valet parking - your only parking option here - is not cheap ($20/night), but you get full in-out privileges. A call down to the front desk gets your car brought out of the underground garage to the front entrance in about 5 or 10 minutes.

You'll be within six short blocks of Tom McCall Waterfront Park along the Williamette River where you can walk for miles along the beautifully landscaped riverfront. About the same distance in the opposite direction, is the the Portland Art Museum. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

With everything so close, you won't want to drive much. If you need to go far, there is a light rail stop a block away. Who needs a car?

I'm a travel photographer and I've stayed in all sorts of hotels. Overall, Hotel Modera was a very good experience.

PhotoCitizen.com

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!