“Small, yes; luxury?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Portland
slo
“Small, yes; luxury?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

The staff was very helpful, and the common areas of the hotel showed an effort at luxury. The rooms were very small however, and the air conditioner very loud. The linens were good as was the bed. The furniture was scratched plastic veneer. The sliding door to the bathroom is a cool idea until an adjoining room insists on slamming it four and five times during the night.

It did smell clean, not like carpet freshener and chemicals. I was pleased with that.
I liked the restaurant on the ground floor.

A simple luxury I suggest is complimentary coffee in the the morning (maybe by the ice machines if not in the lobby). I can't stand the sludge that's made by the in-room coffee makers.

It was a good bargain, but not great luxury.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Pacific NW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Front desk/concierge service superb - every question, request I had so courteously answered and promptly. I was a little wary urging my Santa Barbara/Pasadena California friends they should stay here for our weekend reunion, as they require at a minimum hotel with room service and 5 stars. But they were convinced by a LA Times weekend magazine review that Modera was one of the too few best boutique hotels in the US - and Modera lived up to that newspaper review. From my phone call to reservations to my on site requests for help, their friendly and immediately helpful replies were always there. Rooms are compact but very comfortable. The 24 hour gym pass a block away is a nice perk; the newly opened restaurant had home made ricotta cheese for their crepes...a portend of good things to come?

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
bend, oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We travel alot and are very picky ----- didn't need to be at Hotel Modera. Wonderful little Oasis in Portland -- contemporary, hip, but not cold or overdone. Great service, amazing grounds, and nice rooms --- a real value for what you get!! This will be our new go to spot in Portland. We are still raving to friends about it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

This hotel was a former motel refurbished to reflect its midcentury modern style, and they have done a fabulous job. The lobby is gorgeous with modern furniture and great original art. There is a inviting outdoor area with a green wall and at night there are firepits to enjoy cocktails around. The rooms are lovely as well, with beautiful linens on the beds (love the furry throws) and dark wood furniture. The staff is very friendly and helpful, they greet you whenever you come back which is so nice.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant, it was trendy but delicious too. We got passes to the offsite gym daily, it was a huge 24 Hour Fitness gym and very well equipped. There is free wifi and a business centre as well.

The only quibble I could have with this hotel is the location is a little far from downtown, but Portland has free and efficient downtown transit, so you can just hop on a bus if you don't want to walk. The hotel is close to the Portland Art Museum and the university though.

I'm not sure if the hotel has great rates because they are new, but the rates are very reasonable right now so I would definitely recommend trying out Hotel Modera as soon as you can, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Mukilteo, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I needed a hotel at the last minute, after bicycling from Seattle to Portland and arriving a day earlier than anticipated. I was pleased to find Hotel Modera had availability, and the price was not more than many bargain hotels much farther out from the downtown. My expectations were pretty basic, but when I arrived, I was blown away. The modern design, cleanliness, attention to detail, friendly helpful staff, nice restaurant, were just a few of the things I was not expecting. The rooms are moderately sized, but very nicely appointed. I had a view out over the hanging gardens, and some of the city. Location - you can't beat it. Its an easy walk to all the downtown attractions. For about the same price as a motel on the outskirts, you can stay in the city in much more comfort. This is the only place I will stay at from now on when I go to Portland.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We spent two nights at Hotel Modera in downtown Portland. The hotel is fabulous! Our room was beautifully decorated, clean and had a comfy king size bed with a separate sitting area, LCD TVs, and a sliding doors for privacy. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions for fun things to do. The hotel is within blocks of the boardwalk on the river with nearby shops and restaurants. We walked all over downtown and were still close enough to sneak back to the room for a nap before dinner. Can't say enough about how friendly everyone was to us, both in the hotel and the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Recently returned from a 10-day vacation in Portland, where I stayed at Hotel Modera. Although I took the risk of pre-paying for my entire stay sight unseen, I was extremely pleased (and locked in a reasonable rate). For me, one of the best things about this hotel is its location - downtown, yes, but definitely the quieter end of downtown near Portland State Univ. and the beautiful South Park Blocks. The hotel is also very conveniently situated vis-a-vis buses, streetcar, and when the new light rail line opens in September '09, there will be stops two blocks away from the hotel in either direction. The neighborhood adjacent to the hotel, especially toward the University, is very pleasant for early morning and evening walks. Good coffee shops abound, and there is even one just a few steps from the front door of the hotel.

The room - I had a fifth (top) floor city view room - was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The bed was superb with lots of pillows and very nice linens and blankets. The room furnishings are more "European" in style, so there is no chest of drawers, but I found adequate drawer and storage space in the bedside units, the cabinet beneath the TV, and the closet. While the room was not large, it was certainly fine for me, a solo traveler. The bathroom was average-sized but very attractive with good lighting and nice amenities. I did not use the TV or the ipod/stereo, but they looked top-of-the-line. I did enjoy getting the morning Oregonian newspaper every day and the wireless internet connection was consistently very good. The refrigerator was good -sized and the safe was very simple to use and easily held my laptop. The AC and air circulation system worked fine. As a light sleeper, I appreciate a hotel system that has a low fan setting, providing some "white noise" at night that blocks occasional outside, hallway, or adjacent room noise. The "privacy" and "make up room" lights were a nice feature, as I did not need the housekeeping staff to make up the room every day. On days I did not need this service, I simply left the "privacy" light on all day while I was out and they would leave a card letting me know that they noticed this and did not make up the room (which is just what I wanted). Overall, the staff at Hotel Modera is very accommodating and friendly, particularly the housekeeping staff and valets. A couple of the front desk young people I found somewhat uppity, but then I noticed some of the guests were rather demanding and impertinent (I avoid such people). Nevertheless, I would give high ratings to most of the staff. I would like to make special mention of Diana, one of the front desk day staff who was quite down-to-earth, polite and exceptional in her service.

As I did not use the parking service, the 24-hour fitness center feature, or the Nel Centro Restaurant, I cannot comment on these.

As long as Hotel Modera continues this level of service, I will definitely stay there whenever in Portland and I will recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!