“modern elegant simplicity” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Tempe
“modern elegant simplicity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Although location is a good walk to most shopping and restaurants, it is do able. Otherwise, close enough to take the light rail to most places a few minutes away. I like that they didn't have noisy ice machines. Instead, they had on each floor a nice built-in freezer cabinet where all the bagged iced were stored. The front desk were very helpful in suggesting places to eat. I highly recommend within walking distance the VQ for brunch. Overall, very satisfied and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The nicest part of the hotel is the walk up to the front desk and I'd imagine if the weather wasn't lousy, we would have spent some time there.
But, if you have to spend time in the room, I'm not sure I would recommend this hotel.
Now, it's possible we were in some weird tucked away room as it was a double with two queen beds but other than that, there was nothing in the room. In fact, there was about 12feet long and 8 feet wide of completely, unused area under the window. When I asked, I was told that "some of them have couches" and they could move us (should have selected this option) or they could bring something in while we were out. I selected the second option.
When we returned, there was a swivel-office chair sitting all alone under the window. It made me sad for that chair.
There was nothing else to speak of in this hotel, the bathroom was fine, boring. Everything was very clean and people were nice but I expect that of any hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I haven't been to any other hotel in Portland but Priceline lists Hotel Modera as ranked 1. It's a pretty average hotel to be honest. Everything you would expect a hotel to be: clean, friendly staff, good location, average/smallish size rooms.

CONS

1) The location isn't super central downtown. If you're doing some shopping I suggest you stay at the Hyatt or Niles which is right by the malls and shops.
2) The pool isn't at the hotel but uses a fitness centre's facilities that is across the street.

PROS

1) It's cheaper that most the other hotels in Portland.
2) Quiet

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 wonderful days at the Modera hotel. We could not find a single thing that we did not like: the room was comfortable and spotless, the staff was nice, professional and always ready to assist, the restaurant menu good and with healthy choices (the breakfast waiters particularly well mannered), and the few computers at disposal in the lobby, besides the wifi, were a nice addition (we could easily print our boarding passes the night before leaving). What a pity that we were too busy in Portland and we could not take advantage of the daily passes to access the Gym (open 24/7)!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a great time at Hotel Modera. The room was lovely, the staff excellent, the restaurant tasty, the beds cozy and the price was right! The outside patio is a nice place to sit outside and drink wine in the evening. We would definitely stay here again.

San Luis Obispo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our Montana friends had met us at the Modera several times, and we had really enjoyed the experience. But things had changed there. It was obvious to us that their focus was now the business singles market. The rooms are quite small with barely room for a desk and one chair. The small conference rooms that the four of us had used to play cards in the evening were no longer available and the people at the desk were not helpful at all as far as letting us use one of the unused larger conference rooms. The food at the restaurant was not nearly as good as it had been in the past, and the fee for parking was a ridiculous $30 per night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Milasmom,

Thank you for staying with us again on your recent trip to Portland. It is great to hear that Hotel Modera has impressed you enough in the past for us to have been your normal rendezvous location multiple times with friends. While we do not normally allow the use of our private meeting space complimentary, and without prior arrangement with our Catering Manager, I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate your card games during prior stays. I would like to encourage you to reserve one of our Premier Modera Suites next time you are in Portland. Not only are our suites spacious, they each have a living area which includes a table that can comfortably host a card game with friends as well.

Best Regards,
Andrew Maffei
503.484.1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I love boutique hotels...it's overall a much better experience, thats precisely it, you actually get an experience.
It started with Hannah who answered the myriad of questions I threw at her over the phone, she made my booking effortless.
When I arrived the valet staff was courteous and on top of it. Next Front Desk, Mr. Reed was on point, and situated me in a perfect room. I HIGHLY recommend getting a suite. Well worth it.

Lastly Dane was helpful as I checked out, and even doubled as a concierge as I grilled him with questions regarding shopping & an auto detailing shop in the area.
I'll be back.

Room Tip: Book a Suite