“Excellent boutique hotel... you won't be disappointed!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 SW Clay St, Portland, OR 97201 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 132 hotels in Portland
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent boutique hotel... you won't be disappointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

After reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor about Hotel Modera, we decided to give it a try for our recent stay in Portland. We were looking to be centrally located, but preferred to stay away from the big chain hotels. We were not disappointed! While the hotel itself was built several decades ago, it's been completely transformed into a stylish and comfortable oasis. The rooms are not gigantic, but they are well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel staff was especially friendly and helpful, without any of the "forced" sincerity you get at many hotels. While we never ate at the hotel restaurant, we did have drinks on the (once again) stylish terrace in the hotel's courtyard. If there is anything negative I could say, it would be about the steep charge for parking on site. (All of the hotels in the area charge similar prices, so Hotel Modera is simply keeping with the local market--and it is valet with unlimited in-out privileges). Overall, the vast majority of the reviews on this site are right on: Hotel Modera is one of the best hotels in Portland.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden/courtyard are slightly more expensive, but worth it. The rooms on the o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was away on business and my wife came along with me. This hotel is excellent. The valet always asked if I needed directions to my appointments, restaurants and shopping. The front desk was very kind ad so was maid service. One of the best aspects of the hotel is the out door patio and happy hour. It is not the typical loud, get crazy happy hour. The patio/ bar is indoor and outdoor (with heated rocks for warmth) and has a great menu of snacks and the drinks are great, the servers are quick and efficient. My wife and I loved the fact that this hotel was a few blocks away (walking distance) from downtown "party" portland, since it was quiet at night and you can still enjoy the hotel without any distractions. She also loved all of the shopping that was in walking distance. Another great aspect is when you get into the elevator, you must use your room key to go to your room, not anyone can walk into the hotel and walk around. Excellent since of security. When I return to portland, I will definitely go back to Hotel Modera.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled you had a wonderful stay with us, and found many aspects of your trip excellent! We try our best to exceed expectations and give every guest an excellent experience. We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Best Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've stayed here many times, usually for work related trips but this next time I get to stay here for pleasure, running the Portland Half Marathon in October. My first and only choice in Portland is the Hotel Modera. What makes this hotel special is the staff, yes a glass of wine in the courtyard on a nice summer night is wonderful also but the incredible friendly service by people like Laura in the restaurant make this hotel special. The front desk staff is great, the rooms are clean and the decor pleasant.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a higher up garden room rather than a street side room. The suites are special als...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Denham Springs, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at Hotel Modera! The rooms were clean and had a great design. All the service we received was fantastic. The location was exactly what we wanted, and the food downstairs was amazing. I would love to stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

For our first visit to Portland, OR, we chose the Modera from reviews and high rating among Portland hotels. We loved the location, proximity to downtown restaurants, bookstores and shops and really enjoyed the welcoming environment, good food at the restaurant and very nice (if a bit small) room. Service was excellent and an evening around the outside fire 'pits' was a pleasure. We actually were able to relax during a short stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera, and thank you for leaving a great review of your stay! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Best Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
503-484-1079
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My partner stayed here a few years ago and enjoyed it, so he booked here again while we were on business with a few added days of pleasure. Positives: the staff, every one of them was great! We learned many by name. The negatives: our room was tiny, the street noise was loud, but when we closed the window at night, the air conditioner didn't work because of the motion sensors. We tried to change settings without luck. So, either we kept window open with noise or became hot. I didn't sleep much in six evenings. We also had trouble getting hot water to shower, odd. The restaurant is good, I suppose. My tastes are very simple so I felt the food was way over priced for few options and what I ate, I didn't appreciate the way it was intended. The scones, though were delicious and a different flavor every morning. If you're a person that needs coffee in the morning, you'll have to wait, a) until the restaurant opens at 6:30 AM or b) walk a few blocks. The tiny cups of coffee in those room coffee makers never cut it for me, so I was left pacing carpet for my caffeine fix. A coffee bar by the front desk would be a great idea for early risers. I'd book there again if I knew our room would be bigger and we could avoid the noise. Again, the staff was awesome!!! They took very good care of us. The atmosphere is also trendy, so that could be considered a positive!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a little more than 24 hours to kill in Portland and wanted to make the most of our stay, having never been there before. Found this hotel to have great ratings and good location so we booked one evening. Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Location was centrally located and easily accesible to streetcar and river. Price was very reasonable for how nice the property is. Great outside cocktail area with amazing drinks. Rooms are not very large but this was expected since it is advertised as boutique. Only "problem" we had was our iron didn't work. Womp, womp.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!