“Great location and comfort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park for $1!
Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Sydney, Australia
“Great location and comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

A really lovely hotel.......very friendly service, not smarmy, just really friendly and helpful. The beds were so comfortable......we want to buy one. Easy to walk to the river and downtown shops and restaurants. The room has everything you need and I would definitely stay here again. We used the gym which is a block away when we arrived and my husband went back there in the morning to use the two lane lap poll which thankfully was quiet and he had a great swim. We had a night cap in the courtyard by the fire pits which was also very pleasant. Well done to all the staff for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were up on the 5th floor but they may well all be quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Hermiston, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

3 years ago my husband had a long hospital stay and surgery at OHSU. I stayed in about 5 downtown hotels. The Modera was the place I finally landed after problems at the other places. I have stayed there about 4 times since then. The latest visit was March 3, 2013. The staff is wonderful! They are thoughtful, attentive, patient and kind. I have been there during some really stressful times and they have gone way beyond normal service to accom0
date my requests. The location is great, walking around downtown is always so interesting. Shopping is close, other restaraunts nearby, shows, theaters---really everything! Their restaurant is very good. They also give a hospital discount if you are there for that reason. I highly recommend Hotel Modera!

Room Tip: If you need a lot of sleep--you should ask for a room that is not one the side of the outdoor patio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent stay in Portland. I’m sorry to hear it wasyou’re your husband’s necessary medical procedures, but am pleased that Hotel Modera was comfortable and accommodating during that time. We look forward to having you again on your next trip to Portland. Hopefully your next trip will be for leisure!

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My girls and I went to Portland for four days and stayed at this modern, hipster joint (got a great deal through an online coupon site).
First we were greeted by the valets (Otto and Mustache), who were very friendly, helpful and super fun...something three girls looking for a good time in the city want (good time is relative...we are all married with kids, so it is a soccer mom good time...only slight debauchery). Our room was clean, great city view and comfortable beds. Loved the shower. Nice big rainfall-type shower head and lots of hot water. Honestly, we only slept and got ready in the room. Otherwise we were on the go! But this was a great place to use as home base.
We did visit the fire pits outside in the restaurant/bar and had happy hour drink and food specials that were outstanding. Nice atmosphere and yummy food and drinks. We also enjoyed Sunday brunch in the restaurant...so much so that we almost missed our flight home because we were being leisurely.
Bottom line is that we would all stay in this hotel again and were very happy with our choice. Close enough to Old Town to walk and far enough away to miss the riff raff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My work always puts us in Hilton properties, which while nice are all the exact same and lack any personality. This time I booked myself at the Modera which was actually cheaper than the Hilton in Portland, and I am so glad I did. The location was awesome, I had many chances to walk around the city and explore. My room was a little small, but it was just me and my king bed, so it was OK. I was actually sick one day and it was raining outside so I really enjoyed wrapping myself up in one of their comfy robes, snuggling up under their super soft blankets and sinking into their bed with all those pillows. It was a treat. Their restaurant/bar downstairs was full every night and they had nice happy hour specials. Everyone seemed to rave about the food, but I just had their beer specials and it was great. I just really enjoyed my stay here and was glad I switched away from the typical business hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on a recent trip to Portland. I’m happy to hear you went against the grain and tried our property instead of the local Hilton. I’m glad you found your guestroom comfortable and Nel Centro happy hour to your liking. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Portland!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My friend and I headed to Portland for the weekend and decided to give this place a try after reading all the good reviews. We were not disappointed. The service at the front desk and dining room were fantastic. Our room was small but reasonably priced, clean, and stylish. And don't get me started on the robes, so comfy! Also, the happy hour menu was delicious and affordable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m very happy to hear you found the staff exceptional, your room clean and stylish, and happy hour to your liking! Come back soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

has the feel of a posh niche hotel - modern, funky, new...
i was there for business - very convenient location of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and the room comfortable and a great place for a quite night sleep.
it's a good $40 for a taxi to the airport, that was the only downside..

Room Tip: downtown hotel, so the higher up the room the quieter.
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I enjoy trying "hip and trendy" boutique hotels. I just find them to be more fun and especially enjoy for business travel.

Saw the extremely high ratings on TA for Hotel Modera as well as the very attractive room rates. Pictures of the property looked attractive so I booked for a 3 night stay this week. Just returned.

Review - extremely mixed but overall I probably will not return. Clearly a renovated older building in a predominately office area part of town.

Positives :

1. Very attractive lobby area.
2. Outdoor seating area - with multiple fireplaces and expansive seating. Just fun.
3. Very good restaurant.
4. Free Wi-Fi
5. Gracious and friendly employees.

Negatives :

1. Rooms - pretty unexciting and not very well maintained (cleanliness and condition of furniture).
2. Totally inadequate lighting - one large lamp with low output bulb, one small desk lamp with small range output and small, funky wall lights near bed headboard. VERY uncomfortable lighting feel and totally useless to work by.
3. Small armoire crammed with coffee maker, robes and ironing board - leaving VERY little room to hang clothes. 2 small drawers in a nightstand was the only other real clothes storage area.
4. The work center is simply a cheezy power strip screwed to the end of the desk - ALL other electrical outlets in room are hidden behind beds or furniture and already overloaded. Just very inadequate.
5. Location - if you get hungry and don't want to go to the hotel restaurant - good luck. You are in a part of town that you can walk for blocks and all you can see are eating establishments located in office buildings that closed at 6PM. I had to walk 6-7 blocks to find a Starbucks open at 8PM and managed to find the last sandwich for the evening. This is definitely not the "happening" end of town after dark.

Too bad. This hotel has potential - but I think management stopped at the lobby amenities. Could be more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am deeply upset that you left feeling that we did not meet your expectations. I am surprised you mention that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guestroom. We take room cleanliness very seriously and hold our housekeeping staff to very high standards.

By the way that you describe your room, I assume you were in one of our wheel chair accessible rooms, as I am familiar with the way you described the room layout. While we did our best to make this room series as well appointed as we could, but we are aware of our limitations and that space in this room was something we tried our best to maximize while retaining the wheel chair accessible functionality.

I hope that you might give us another try on your next trip to Portland. Please contact me directly as I would like to be sure you are well taken care of.

503.484.1084

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!