“Attractive design doesn't overcome noise and terrible sleep” 2 of 5 stars

Park for $1!
Ranked #21 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Attractive design doesn't overcome noise and terrible sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Wow. I've admired this hotel's design details from the street and have enjoyed eating at its restaurant, but we had a terrible experience staying here on a weekend trip in early February. Paper thin walls and heavy doors meant we heard a loud slamming sound consistently every few minutes late into the night and beginning early in the morning. Front desk staff sheepishly offered us earplugs and had clearly heard this complaint many times before. Failed to deliver my most important requirement for a hotel -- a good night's sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and for taking the time to review your stay. It is with regret to hear that you were unable to achieve a restful night’s sleep while you were with us. Our guest’s comfort is our top priority and it is disappointing to hear you were not satisfied.

When we renovated the property, the one thing we were unable to change about the hotel were the concrete walls. While they are not actually paper thin, they do insulate well from regular levels of guest room noise. I imagine you were in a room with an adjoining door which does not insulate as well as the walls without adjoining doors. It is also common that one might hear some sound from other rooms that they would not normally hear at home, as there are not normally other people in neighboring spaces in a home setting.

I am very sorry you were unable to rest well while you were staying with us. This is not the common experience, and I deeply regret you were the exception. I would like to encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay, and hope that this experience will not discourage you from staying with us again.

503-484-1084

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Unique hotel character. Loved the quiet outdoor dining & bar area around fire pits (made from old ship steel plates apparently) -- a nice place to relax and recap the day's activities. Design & art everywhere! Rooms adequate but small Easy walk to everywhere downtown.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's the little things, and Hotel Modera does the little things in a big way. My first choice for a comfortable stay from now on!

All the staff were top notch, my room was lovely, and the valet parking was the fastest service of anywhere I have stayed. Right on the light rail makes shopping and dinner a quick commute, but the restaurant on site is also amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera, and thank you for the great review! I’m very happy to hear you found our staff accommodating, your guestroom lovely, and our location convenient. We look forward to having you with us again!

SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, they were helpful when I called prior to arriving. I loved the decor and overall style of the property and the location was perfect. We were able to walk every where we wanted to visit. Lots of good restaurants and shops near by. Didn't need a car, easy to get a shuttle from the airport right to the hotel. The outside patio area had fire pits at night which were a nice touch. Beautiful city even in the winter, looking forward to visiting again. Also really nice to have free wi-fi, can't believe some chains still charge for it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Marshall, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Small hotel that's big on style and accommodating a weary traveler checking in very late after a long flight. Also very helpful on my first visit to Portland, even lending a top notch umbrella. Right on the light rail and relatively close to good shopping and dining. In house restaurant a cut above most hotel dining. Ask to be placed on the west side of the hotel for a quieter room. I'll be back. Many good deals for some of the best prices in the city. Not the W, but certainly not the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Southern Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Modera for one night on business. It was very well appointed and I only wish I could have stayed at least another night, which I will get to do in a few weeks.
Hotel was exactly as expected. Great location and accessible to transportation. I had a great view of the courtyard though I am not sure I expected that with my room reservation type. Room was on the smaller side, but being in downtown Portland, how much time are you going to spend in your room.
Restaurant on site made fabulous food. I ordered room service for both dinner and breakfast. Breakfast was a little slow to arrive. The downside to room service is the lack of space to consume it in the room. There is a desk setup, but not the most comfortable dinning seating... Knowing what i know now I would just go down to the restaurant for breakfast in the morning.
My biggest issue was the coffee maker in the room. It is a little single cup system that failed to work correctly. I followed the instructions, hit go and not even half my cup filled with coffee. Very depressing. Luckily I knew the night before so I could order coffee with my breakfast in the morning, but sad when you really want that cup of joe to help get you going in the morning. Because it was one night, I didn't complain or notify the staff, but I am also not going to dock their rating for it either.
My most favorable thing about this hotel is they often advertise special rates directly on their website. With rates as low as $99/night in downtown it is hard to complain. Reviewers say parking is spendy...but that is not a variable I have to contend with when I stay.

Room Tip: Check their website for promotions and best pricing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m pleased to learn that you found the Hotel and onsite restaurant, Nel Centro, to your liking and anticipate a return trip in the coming weeks. We look forward to having you with us again!

Redmond, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, right next to the light rail and in the center of downtown. The decor is very stylish throughout the hotel, from the entrance hall to our room. The room is definitely on the small side, but sufficient room for our weekend stay as a couple. The bed is very comfortable, firm not too soft, and the faux fur blanket is really nice quality. The linen of bedding feels in nice quality as well. We also dined in the hotel restaurant one night, food was excellent and price is reasonable as well. The parking is $27 per day, not cheap, but reasonable comparing to the hotels also in the same location.

Unfortunately, with all the good things mentioned above, we really didn't sleep well for the two nights we stayed there. The first night our room is on the far end of "L" shape of hotel buildings to the street site. So the whole night we can hear Max (the lightrail) come and go, buses as well. After talking to the front desk next morning, we got switched to a room far away from the street without a question. That night we heard definitely less traffic noise (still some, but much better), but then woke up at 3 o'clock in the morning by some "activity" noise from the next room. Not sure if the head board of the bed was put against the wall too close, or the wall was too thin, anyway, couldn't fall back to sleep with the head-board-banging-wall-noise. Don't think I will stay there in the future just because of the noise, kind of a pity, because I do like everything else.

Room Tip: Hotel is in a "L" shape, with one leg of building sticking to the street and the other leg...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m very happy to learn you found our location convenient, the bed comfortable, and the restaurant and décor to your liking. However, I’m sorry to hear that you experienced some noise transference during your stay. I’m glad to know that the staff was accommodating and switched you to a room further from the street after your first night, but I wish you would have given us the opportunity to call and quiet your amorous neighbors as well. Guest comfort and restful sleep is our top priority and we prefer to stay informed of any noise issues so that we can do our best to diffuse any noise issues that arise because of guest activity. While you noted that you will likely not stay with us again, I hope that you may reconsider given the positive aspects of your stay.

503-484-1084

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!