“Nice moderately priced hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park for $1!
Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Portland
New York City, New York
“Nice moderately priced hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

Nice hotel with friendly staff. Free internet, good location in SW near the Art Museum, quiet, and has an ok restaurant and outside patio.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I have stayed at many other hotels in Portland and would definitely choose another option next time. The front desk staff had a haughty attitude and could use some pointers by the staff at other downtown hotels on how to interact with guests.

The common areas and rooms are very modern as expected. One thing that surprised me however was the small size of my room. Not the tightest I have ever seen, but substantially smaller than other Portland hotels at which I have stayed. There was a flat screen tv, but even this could have been larger given the space. Otherwise, everything was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was sizable and did have high quality fixtures.

There is a very popular restaurant in the hotel and there is a nice outdoor patio for the rare balmy evening. There isn't a fitness room but the hotel does offer free passes for the 24 Hour Fitness across the street.

I have talked with others that love this hotel but I will stay elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your last trip into Portland. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations and provided you with poor service. This deeply saddens me, as we have worked so hard to train our staff to be very respectful and accommodating. As the summer season is rapidly approaching we have hired a number of new staff members who are still in the training process. I will be sure to review with all of our staff what my expectations of them are. We are very proud of the positive reviews we have received and feel that they are a true reflection of what we are capable of. I am very sorry that we have fallen short with you. It is a valuable lesson for us when we receive word from a guest that we have fallen short, and allows us to reevaluate the qualities that are important to us.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay. I welcome the opportunity to learn from our mistakes and hopefully reconcile with you. We certainly would love to have you stay with us again so that we can show you what Hotel Modera is really capable of.

Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Hotel Modera is modern an beautiful to look at. Once you are a guest, however, you quickly realize how poor the customer service is. With the exception of the valets and some of the front desk staff, we were treated very rudely. The bar/restaurant staff was even borderline nasty. It's a shame that the beautiful art, architecture, and furniture is overshadowed by the snotty demeanor of some employees.

The bathroom doors are also extremely loud. It is very difficult to slide it shut without a slam, and you are awakened all night by the sound of other guests going in and out of the restroom.

Overall, I am very disappointed in my experience.

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is an up most priority of ours that each guest is treated with respect and courtesy and that we give exceptional service no matter what the circumstance.

It upsets me to hear that you were given poor service by the restaurant staff. Nel Centro, our onsite restaurant, is a leased operation and is separately owned and operated. We do try our best to work together to create a seamless guest experience, however the training of their personnel is the responsibility of the restaurant’s management team. Please be assured that I will be addressing this with restaurant.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your issue with the bathroom doors. We have tried our hardest to minimize noises that enter our guest rooms in order to provide a comfortable and relaxing environment. I will be addressing this with our team so that we might brainstorm a way in which to eliminate this disturbance in the future.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay. I would like the opportunity to show you that Hotel Modera can exceed your expectations. I look forward to hearing from you.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I haven't stayed at a boutique style hotel and wasn't sure what to expect for the surprise getaway I had planned or my wife and me. This was another TripAdvisor spontaneous pick - mystery is part of the adventure. As soon as we walked in the lobby it all quickly made sense and really set us on a more positive stride for our weekend in Portland (the train ride down didn't work out so well). I actually said "yessss" as we approached the check-in desk. Being a boutique hotel, well planned decor and use of space is central to their success because it allows the hotel to create a unique vibe that you won't find in the more corporate chains. I felt hints of a more refined 60's Mod style through the bold carpet patterns and almost retro chairs and tables, but without being overtly "retro." Their use of colors and textures was successful at creating a space that had me expecting James Bond (Sean Connery version) to come around the corner at any moment. This was probably fueled by my excessive listening of SomaFM.com's Secret Agent radio stream. If Secret Agent is the "soundtrack to my stylish, mysterious, dangerous life" then Hotel Modera is the location. The outdoor seating area and lounge are well executed and I wish we had just stayed there instead of venturing out in the evening. They had live Jazz on Saturday night and the weather was beautiful. It would have been perfect to just sit in the lounge chairs placed around elevated fires in the well groomed sand area outside in the courtyard and drink martinis and listen to jazz. We will be back in that same lobby next time we are in Portland. Thank you and keep up what you are already doing. You've nailed it.

All staff people were excellent that I encountered. They seemed to genuinely be happy at their jobs and like the hotel where they work.

Rooms are a little small, but the decor throughout is incredible.

Beds are very, very comfortable.

We only had breakfast at the restaurant, but it was above average and I imagine lunch and dinner are just as good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your trip to Portland, and thank you for your excellent review! I’m glad to know that it was the other positive reviews here on TripAdvisor that allowed us to win your reservation, and I am thrilled to hear that your stay was a comfortable one.

I’m very pleased to hear that our décor and music brought out your imaginative side. We often get requests from photographers to stage a variety of creative photo shoots, but your reference to James Bond is a first for us. We are quite happy to start thinking of Hotel Modera as a place James Bond might be found.

We hope that you might mention us to your friends and family who travel to Portland, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip south!

Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

This was my home for a whole week while I attended a conference. Front desk staff very helpful with area "tips", always friendly. Room was clean, nicely furnished. I did hear my neighbors a few times, but found the fan's white noise took care of that and any traffic noises. Business center computers nice to keep in touch with "back home". Granola was great for breakfast at the restaurant. I did not use the health club (prefer to walk outside for exercise). Grocery store not too far away for snacks in room fridge. Only (very minor) complaint: coffee maker eratic; sometimes cup would only fill 1/2 way, next time a full cup! No rhyme or reason. Left note for housekeepers a few times about it, gave up and considered it my daily adventure. Close to many things.

Prince Rupert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Just arrived home from another great stay.. I received VIP wine on arrival, a thank you for repeat business, which was a wonderful welcoming touch. Staff at this property continue to be the best I have encountered anywhere.. The rooms are wonderfully clean and I also enjoy the bath products. The beds are wonderful. The wifi works very well, as well there is a business centre for printing. The onsite restaurant/bar used this trip for drinks with a friend, other stays I have ate ther and the food was wonderful.
The only issue I have is like some have mentioned is lack of sound proofing, although when needed a move to another room was very easy. It may not have all the bells and whistles of some other hotels in way of spas etc, but the caring staff will always make me want to come back. They go out of their way to provide information and make things right.
My only Portland Hotel is The Modera

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera again on your recent trip into Portland. We are very happy to hear that your experience was a positive one, worthy of another excellent TripAdvisor review. We are looking forward to having you with us again in the future!

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I previously had a great experience with the Modera, so when business once again took us to the Portland area, we immediately booked the Modera. Once again, it did not disappoint!

The room had plenty of space, was well decorated and had more updated remodeling than the previous stay's room. The television was new, the furnishings spotless, and the bathroom well appointed. Although the front desk did not initially realize we had purchased a package that included wine and chocolate, once we informed them, they were extremely quick and friendly in bringing those items up.

Check in/out is very simple, especially if you do an advance purchase, the hotel is full of interesting artwork and a great ambiance, and the location is hard to beat.

Bottom line: Stay here. Just do it. It's absolutely lovely.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!