“Nice boutique hotel - especially for folks on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   515 SW Clay St, Portland, OR 97201 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 132 hotels in Portland
Bellevue
“Nice boutique hotel - especially for folks on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

My boyfriend and I were in Portland checking out Lewis and Clark during an orientation weekend that they were hosting. This was one of the recommended hotels, and after reading countless reviews we decided on the Hotel Modera. It was a great stay and we got more than our $$ worth.

Pros:
Love the decor! Very retro/mod with clean lines and fabulous fixtures
Key-card access elevators - no creeps off the street getting to the rooms
SUPER comfy beds with LOTS of fluffy pillows.
Very central to everything (amazing food carts within walking distance!!)
Awesome staff - very helpful, and attentive, couldn't have asked for better.
Flexible about late checkouts - I am NOT a morning person (or sometimes an afternoon person, for that matter), and all I had to do was call down to the front desk and they gave us a 2pm checkout with no charge. Very much appreciated!!
They even had fancy ice/ice buckets.

Cons:
Parking is valet only (on site) - Not too
expensive, but I like being able to get to my car whenever, without it being a total production. However, that being said, I did feel very fancy having the valet bring our car around any time we wanted. (Would have felt fancier if I had bothered to wash/vacuum my car...)
Very strict about the non-smoking. (Good for self-righteous non-smokers, bad for my poor boyfriend who had to stand out in the rain) Covered smoking area would be nice is all I'm saying.
The rooms are small, or at least ours was. Not bad since you probably aren't in Portland to stay in your hotel room, but things do get a bit "cozy". Also, due to the bathroom/door design, there were several instances when I was trapped in the bathroom until my boyfriend was done getting things out of the closet. Not so great when you're in a hurry and your outfit is in the other room

***Overall this is a great hotel, and if I were going back to Portland I would stay there again. ***

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

1,201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Southern Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

This was great! It's beautifully modern and obviously a popular place to stay in Portland. Valet parking was cheaper than the overnight parking garages nearby, which made for convenient running around. The hotel staff were so very kind and helpful. Our room was so cozy and the bed, in a word, was peaceful. The location was great, not far from the interstate but close to downtown for great food and fun shopping.

Beautiful! We will be back again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Travelingwith3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We were on a tour visiting different colleges in the Northwest and stayed one night at Hotel Modera. I was with my parents and two teenage children. It was a very chic hotel with easy access to local transportation to get downtown.
We sat outside in the misty rain, enjoying the warmth of the firepit at sunset with drinks from the bar. We ate dinner and breakfast in the hotel dining room and couldn't have asked for a better experience.
My daughter has decided on Univeristy of Oregon, so I will be back on future trips to Oregon.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

What's not to like:

Decent sized room and bathroom, free and fast wi-fi, near the tram, free gym pass, near a large grocery store, on the edge of the business district (can walk to all meetings), popular gourmet restaurant in hotel (with great food and great wines).

I can't think of one negative thing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for five nights while we visited Portland for the PDX Jazz Festival. The hotel was stylish, with a very cool outside area with fire pits. The room was clean and nicely decorated, with a very comfortable bed and nice linens. I especially liked the fur throw on the bed - it was cozy on the feet while lying on the bed reading. The bathroom was nice with a pretty marble sink and marble tub. I did not like that the only drawers available were the nightstands - a dresser would have been more convenient and desirable. The bathroom door was a sliding door that also was the closet door, which was a bit awkward. It looked cool but fell a bit short on functionality. My husband would have liked a chair to sit in and read - it only had the chair with the desk. It was relatively quiet (except the last night when we could very clearly hear the people next door to us - we didn't hear anyone any other part of our stay).

The hotel has a nice restaurant - Nel Centro. We had drinks there one night and a jazz brunch there on Sunday morning. A very pretty place, good food and service, a bit expensive (but it's a hotel restaurant - to be expected). It seemed popular and was busy.

I heard this hotel used to be a cruddy little Days Inn. They've done a fantastic job of redoing it completely, and did a great job incorporating the 70's era building (on the outside) and making it sort of retro on the interior. Styling furniture and art work. The front desk people were friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Every person we encountered from the valet attendant to maid service to anyone at the front counter to servers and bartenders in the adjoining restaurant were friendly, helpful and professional. The courtyard is gorgeous and the interior space feels modern and comfortable. Overall terrific experience!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We planned Hotel Modera for one night while passing through Portland. It was suppose to be a fun time, but I hurt my ankle and ended up having to rest it. We used the valet parking attendants, which provided great service. We also used the hotel to arrange an in room massage; since there is not a spa on sight. The hotel was in a good location right near the university. My husband really enjoyed the bar in the hotel- the modern feel and atmosphere. Everything in the hotel was nicely decorated and an artists dream place to stay. The room and bathroom were very large and clean.

Service was great! (The hotel even called a few days before, to make sure we were still coming.)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Modera? Share your experiences!