“Excellent food-neat neighborhood to wander in” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
New York City, New York
“Excellent food-neat neighborhood to wander in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Tourists probably don't often get over to the NE section of Portland, but this restaurant could be a lure. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to wander through the neighborhood to admire the bungalows with their lush gardens, then to have an early dinner at this restaurant. You have to sign in when you get there, and they will seat you and are quick to wait on you. (Note to prior reviewer who did not get good service- you need to follow their rules.)
We sat outside and first ordered great juices then shared a vegan pizza that was really not a pizza but came fast and was eaten fast. Then we had an assortment of salad and stewy things. large portions, all good. Too full for dessert unfortunately.
Even sitting outside we had good service. We arrived at 5:15 and the restaurant was full and I have heard it is always full. Reservations only for large groups.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Portland, Oregon
“A favorite that serves great food that happens to be vegan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Blossoming Lotus in inner NE Portland has consistently great food. The food is rich, flavorful, and satisfying in addition to healthy, ingredient-aware, and yummy. The service is casual, professional, and nearly invisible. That's the way I like it.

I usually start my visit by adding my name to the usually short waiting list. [Sometimes, the wait is as short as waiting for someone to seat me.] There's a small-but usually adequate-waiting space.
Outdoor seating is very limited and a joy to get, if it's available and the weather is right. If the weather is good, I hope to get outdoor seating, but realize that I'll most likely be eating in the bustling dining room. All the tables are good tables, and I prefer a table around the edge. The table height is higher, which I like. It's usually just me, or I go with one friend.

The outdoor seating is on NE 15th, so there's a lot of traffic. Exhaust is not as much of an issue as the clamor of an urban thoroughfare. Outside is not as intimate as inside, and it's enjoyable if you know what to expect.

I find most restaurants that are raw/vegan/vegetarian are noticeably evident in their difference from other restaurants. Blossoming Lotus is not. Blossoming Lotus serves great food that happens to be vegan. In addition to being vegan, BL clearly marks other important aspect of the menu. Gluten-free dishes are indicated, for example.

Blossoming Lotus's 15th & NE Broadway is a good location. I like the Irvington location because if I show up wanting a quick meal and they are packed, I have lots of other dining options within walking distance. If I show up with friends expecting a wait, but the wait is too long, ditto. Blossoming Lotus is near the NE Broadway retail area and Lloyd Center Mall, so if you want healthy food while shopping, you can have it. If you work in, or have a meeting in, the Lloyd Center business area, BL is a great alternative to the nearby fast food hell near I-5.

Those are my general thoughts. It's problematic to make specific food recommendations at restaurants because their menus often keep changing, which is a good thing. That said, the live nachos as a starter course for two, or half a lunch, are AMAZING. The live nachos are gluten free, dairy free (it's all vegan, but it doesn't hurt to remind folks) and really tasty. The goddess bowl is one of my favorites as a regular customer. I always consider the specials, and they rarely disappoint.

To be clear: there's no meat on the menu. I don't really notice it. I have avocado and/or tempeh added if I want extra fat or protein at that meal.

• Visited April 2013
“Perfect lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Huge portions! Everything we had was really well made, full of well-balanced flavor. The portions were large and very filling. Even my very not-vegetarian mother-in-law enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2013
Burlingame, California
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Visiting family and went here for lunch. Had a great live falafel wrap, live kale and seaweed salad and my favorite, the tofu and greens bowl. Everything is beautifully presented and so tasty. Made fresh, so the wait can be a little long, but well worth it. Huge portions and very reasonably priced. Try the "cheesecake." It is also terrific. Love the servers too. The place to get raw and truly vegan food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Forest Grove, Oregon
“Yummy, even if it is a vegan restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My best friend, a vegetarian, picked out this restaurant for her birthday lunch. I thought "how bad can it be, it's just one meal". Well, all I can say is wow! We shared the fruit and cheese plate (it should be called the fruit and almond-that-looks-like-hummus, but whatever. The kiwi, apple, pear, dried fig, and raspberries were amazing. The "cheese" was really tasty, and the crunchy bread was perfect to layer everything onto. I had the pesto and white bean dip, and a house mixed green salad that had a wonderful ginger dressing. My friend has the special of tacos. They looked good, even though I'm not a meat substitute fan. I don't know that I'd choose this place over a good BBQ joint where I could have brisket (sorry, but I'm a carnivore at heart), but it was light and airy inside, the staff were friendly and attentive, and the food was fresh and delicious.

• Visited March 2013