“New Trendy Decor - Great Marriott Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center

You added Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“New Trendy Decor - Great Marriott Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed here while touring the area. Conveniently located near many restaurants and stores. Broadway just a few blocks away. Hotel has been recently renovated. Trendy colors, fresh new modern look, light dimming and blackening shades on windows. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Only downside is limited valet parking only on hotel property. Valet was extremely helpful, for short overnight parking recommended parking on the street. Pay $1 per hour until 10pm then parking free until 8am (Mon-Sat). Hotel extremely clean. Cleaning staff very helpful. Cleaning staff left a personalized hand written note on the night stand for guest. Very thoughtful. Excellent food and room service available. Hotels have umbrellas available for guest to borrow for short walks in area in case a storm pops up.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Good view of surrounding area.
Green Features: Great conservation practices but no lack in quality or service.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear travelteach92,

Thank you for your fantastic five star review! I am happy to hear that you found our location to be conveniently located close to the shops and restaurants off Broadway and thank you for pointing out that our staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I hope that you return to Portland and stay with us sometime soon.

503-382-3144

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Property sparkles... Clean and has everything we needed. Outstanding staff - especially Edward at the front desk and stellar in housekeeping. She left us a personal note wishing us a pleasant stay and hoping she cleaned our room like we wanted. Edward answered ALL f our questions as we headed out and when we checked out he asked us if we had a good day! WOW! Location is excellent! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear CynReynolds,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you found my property to be clean, had everything you needed and found the staff to be outstanding. Edward and Stella are exceptional associates and I am pleased to hear that they made such a positive impression on you. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.

Napa Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The staff at the Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center could not be more accommodating. I was visiting the Portland area on a father/son trip. We arrived at the hotel much later than expected and decided to eat in the restaurant. Marci the server/host could not have been nicer. She expertly guided us through the menu and suggested the evening special. It was the perfect selection for my son. She also provided us with sightseeing ideas that both my 11 year old son and I would enjoy. Marci's actions alleviated any concerns that I had about the hotel, since I was not familiar with the area.

The breakfast staff was also outstanding! Our host was Island, she was awesome! I feel like we left a friend back in Portland. It didn't matter who we interacted with at the hotel, from front desk to hotel engineer, the service was impeccable and genuine. I wish I could remember all the associates that made our staff so memorable. We would receive daily personal handwritten notes from the staff ensuring that our stay was satisfactory.
I don't normally write reviews but was compelled to after such a wonderful stay. The Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center has earned by business. I hope to bring my wife and daughter next time so they can experience great hospitality.

Thank you Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, for a great stay!

Dear Dave E,

Thank you for your five star review! I am thrilled to hear that you found our service to be impeccable and genuine. I will congratulate Marci and Island on a job well done and we all hope that you return soon with your wife and daughter.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've got mixed feelings about this hotel. The staff was friendly, the heated pool was wonderful, and the room was spacious. What really stood out about this hotel was the location. The pros are: easy to get around to public transportation or driving to Portland's neat eastern neighborhoods. The cons are what cost the stars: noisy, noisy, noisy!

I couldn't even recommend choosing one side of the hotel over the other since it probably makes no difference. This Courtyard is sandwiched between MLK southbound and Grand Ave northbound, with I-5 and I-84 nearby. Add a nearby hospital and you've got sirens galore. We stayed Friday night through Tuesday, which added up to much sleep deprivation due to the constant noise of large vehicles and obnoxious sirens. Our sixth floor north-facing room was on the top, but it affords no noise insulation. Though there was some distance between our room and a very loud party in one of the convention rooms on the first floor, there is not enough insulation in the walls to muffle the street noise. Running the bathroom fan doesn't work since the fan is not separate from the light. Using the in-room ac doesn't help because the ac unit is noisy as well. It was a choice between noise from the street or the startling sounds of the ac kicking in.

Otherwise, we enjoyed the pool, the outside patio, the complimentary fruit-flavored water and morning coffee. How I needed that coffee as I was bleary eyed!

Parking was $21 a day valet (no option to do otherwise despite a sign breaking down parking options). Getting our car brought around was easy. The valets always asked if we needed directions, which we never needed. We did ask general questions about traffic patterns, which they were always happy to answer.

Larry, the maintenance man, was super nice.

Sometimes the hotel cleaning staff would just knock and key into the room, so do use the safety lock and security latch!

We might give them a try again, since we love travels to PDX. Only the lack of insulation and street noise gives me pause. We live in busy city too and acclimated to city noise, but the level at the Courtyard literally made my eyes bloodshot.

Room Tip: There seems to be no quiet side as the hotel is located on two very busy streets and near a hospital...
Green Features: Standard industry practices with signs in room to describe their efforts
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear LLori,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the pool, room, location and staff, especially Larry in maintenance. We have a wide array of room options and I am very confident that during your next stay, we could find a room that would allow you to get a great night’s sleep. I am pleased to announce that starting July 1st we are installing new wireless digital thermostats and occupancy sensors into our rooms. This new state of the art system will allow our guests to more accurately control the temperature in the room while also allowing them to control the fan speed. I am confident that this new system will not only provide our guests with a better night sleep, but also save a lot of energy at the same time. Please contact me directly prior to your next stay so that I can personally assist you with a great room.

Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had an excellent experience! The hotel is located in a great spot with lots to do. The property was clean and the modern decor was a nice touch. Rooms are wonderful. Also had a great experience at Charley's. The bartender/food server might have been the best part of the entire trip. The food and drink recommendations were outstanding (four for four) and Marci might need to be nominated for employee of the month. That girl is priceless! I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to my closest friends!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michael951x,

Wow, it sounds like you had a fantastic stay in my hotel! Thank you for mentioning how wonderful Marci is; we will certainly take your recommendation for employee of the month into consideration. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

From Sergio in the restaurant (who spoilt our shy little girl with little treats) to the valets, front desk staff, cleaners and everyone in between, we were always greeted with warm smiles and hellos, and always offered assistance or a tip about where to go and what to see. (The large room was also a great feature, though it's your staff that stood out for us.)

I travel a lot for business, and I stay in many hotels. I haven't experienced this sort of genuine care, consideration and customer service in an embarrassingly long time.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone - business travelers, families, couples...it's clean, quiet and ever-so friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear JacquelineSC14,

Wow, it sounds like my staff made quite the positive impression on you! Thank you so much for contacting Marriott Customer Care to share your experience and for sharing this on TripAdvisor. My staff and I are flattered by your comments and we all hope that you return and stay with us sometime soon.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed here during a snowstorm that hit Portland in February. I had come in on the Amtrak and was told by the hotel there was no shuttle to pick me up at the station due to the storm. The streets were covered in ice. I barely knew Portland at all and because of the helpful staff, was able to avoid being stranded overnight at the Amtrak station. They gave me directions to the hotel as I was on the train. The train got in very late and I was on the phone with the staff as soon as I was in Portland. They guided to the hotel as I was on my cell phone taking the light rail across the bridge. I made it to the hotel safe and sound. Had a great night's sleep and made it back to California safe and sound a day later on the Amtrak. I highly recommend this hotel and the staff is the best. Nice rooms, great views of the city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Rebecca S,

What a great review! I am happy to hear that you made it to the hotel safely during our snow storm this past February. It sounds like my staff did a great job proving you with top notch service and you had a great night’s sleep. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

503-382-3144

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!