“You can count on it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“You can count on it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We've stayed in this hotel many, many times over the past 10 years when we come to Portland. It is located across the River from downtown, but is very close to Lloyd Center. They renovated in the past several years and it certainly refreshed what was becoming a bit worn.

There is underground parking as well as valet parking -- both for a fee. The hotel restaurant has a buffet, or order off the menu breakfast; it is also open for lunch and dinner. We've done breakfast, but are usually gone for the other two meals.

The exercise is better than many hotels, but not the best I have experienced; still it offers a variety of weight and cardio options.

Another nice perk is they have a hotel shuttle that will take you to a restaurant or other destination in Portland -- very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear C B,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in my hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and restaurant. You also mentioned our exercise room. I am glad to hear that we met your needs-we recently replaced all of our equipment with new state of the art machines that have been receiving rave reviews from our regular guests. I hope we see you soon.

447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard while visiting Portland during Memorial Day weekend. Found a great deal on a night here via Priceline. Paid just under $65. An awesome rate given that the hotel website are offering rooms at nearly three times that price.

The location is awesome. It is just two blocks away from a MAX station served by three different lines. And in the last year, a new Portland Streetcar line (CL) has opened that runs on the same street as the hotel. There is a stop about two blocks away in close proximity to the hotel. The hotel offers parking for a somewhat high fee ($18 self-park or $21 valet), so if you arrive in Portland, I would say that public transit is a better option if you are staying here unless you are heading somewhere outside the Portland area. Especially since a day pass is only $5.

The lobby of the hotel is new and modern. A nice touch is the complimentary coffee and tea they offer here. I had arrived at the hotel several hours before the check-in time, but I decided to take a chance to see if a room was available. Fortunately it was and I could check-in early.

Got a room on the top floor with a decent view to the east. The room was quite large with room for a sofa and coffee table. The hotel facilities seem to be well acquainted with a fitness room with the essentials that I was able to utilize. There is also an indoor pool as well.

Though there are many nice amenities, there were a few dings about staying here. I had a lot of trouble with their Wi-Fi. I was not able to use it for most of my stay. It only started working later that night and in the morning the next day.

There are also a few items that were missing from the room including a fridge and a hair dryer which were available in two other two hotels (with a lower star rating) in Portland that I stayed at recently. The layout of the room was a bit awkward as well. The bed was not facing directly towards the TV, but rather sideways. So you can't really watch TV while lying in bed without having to angle yourself to face it.

I will say the quality of the rooms are better than the other two hotels that I stayed at, but it feels like they are missing a few comforts here. I would however still recommend this hotel if you are looking for accommodations close to downtown Portland with plentiful public transit options nearby to get around the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear jol20,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay in my hotel. I apologize for the wireless Internet issue over Memorial Day weekend. We had an issue with our provider which was resolved shortly after the matter was brought to our attention. I am pleased to announce that we now have a refrigerator in every guest room. I also wanted to let you know that there is a hair dryer located in a black pouch which is hanging in the closer of every room directly behind the vanity area. I am confident that your next stay will warrant five stars given that we have addressed your concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

503-382-3134
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We arrived past midnight due to weather changing our flights, checked in to our rooms , no refrigerator, and I had called twice to make sure there would be one for medication to be kept cool, and was told twice all the rooms have refrigerators. OUrs did not, but one was promptly devlivered. In the morning we requested another room as we were above the garage door which opened and closed with regulatity and much noise. The ;management was very accomodating and moved us to the 5th floor. The room was also wider and very quiet. The extra space was welcome as was the solitude.
I cannot say enough about the people at the desk, or those that helped us into the cabs or shuttles. Everyone was 100% on all the time and the hotel was very full . The breakfast we ate was delicious and we liked ordering ala acarte. When the shuttle was busy, the manager called a cab for us and took care of the tab both ways. I cannot give thie staff enough praise. Always smiling and helpful. Thank you all for making our 4 nights and and 3 days in Portland terrific.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor 5 or 6 .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

Dear leformi,
I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant and the high level of service my staff is known for delivering. I am sorry to hear that there was confusion regarding the refrigerator in your room. During your stay we were installing refrigerators in every room. I can assure you that this will not be an issue during your next stay with us. I hope we see you soon.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Excellent place to stay. Everyone (front desk, staff in the hallway/using the elevator, wait staff) was so friendly and helpful the entire time. We had shuttle service to downtown Portland and when we called to get the shuttle back, they were busy. So, the hotel called us a cab and put it on their tab. The hotel was very clean. It was the third time staying at this hotel and I will choose it every time I visit. Convenient location, but tucked away so it's not so noisy.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better. View of the courtyard = view of the city (from a distance, but nic...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Calitraveler36,
Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review! I am thrilled that you found my staff to be friendly and helpful. I appreciate your comments regarding cleanliness and our convenient shuttle service too. I am thrilled to hear that we have gained you as a loyal guest! I look forward to you returning soon.

Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A decent hotel. Easy off/on to freeway. Clean. You can walk to both Starbucks and the convention center from here! Easy access to Hwy. 99 as well. We found street parking nearby, which is rare in Portland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Colettobros,
Thank you for your recent stay. I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and I would appreciate the opportunity to turn this 3 star stay into a future 5 star stay. I welcome your feedback.

Poulsbo, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels across the country and this is the ONLY time that I have had such a wonderful experience with a hotel. Me and a friend were in town for a conference at Veteran's Memorial Stadium, so this was a perfect location. From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated like VIP's. Customer service was at its highest, from everyone, all the time, during our 3 day stay. When we got to our room, it had no fridge so I called the front desk asking for one, and in a matter of 10 minutes, one was delivered to our room. The breakfast buffet was wonderful with a chef available making omelets, and all of the wait staff went above and beyond. When I return to Portland this will always be my first choice of hotels. I am in a service business also (housecleaning), and details are crucial. Courtyard by Marriott did not miss a beat when it came to the details.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Sue K,

Thank you for your 5 star review! It sounds like my staff made quite the impression on you. I couldn’t be any more proud of my team and how good they are at making all of our guests feel like VIPs. I am happy to announce that as of June 21st, all of our rooms now have a refrigerator. I hope that we see you soon during your next trip to Portland.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

From our first greeting at the check-in counter, we were impressed with the high standard of customer service. We had booked on-line the day before and all was in order with our reservation. We were driving with our GPS, the hotel was easy to find and we were delighted to find that secure underground parking was available at no cost to guests. When we enquired about local restaurants, specifically citing a shell fish allergy and our desire to have mussels, the clerk called the restaurant to enquire for us! We were provided with directions and coupon booklet for the nearby shopping mall as well as information about Powell's bookstore. Every little detail was taken care of by the accommodating staff. When we reached our room, we appreciated the scrupulous cleanliness of the bathroom facilities and well stocked amenities. King size bed was dressed with immaculate white linen and attractive accents. A comfortable sofa bed and coffee table invited us to relax and look over the literature on attractions. Window blinds were of a roller design with minimal fussing about and no dust collectors! Ice buckets and real glasses accommodate travellers' thirst. Wall and door decor were tasteful, attractive and exceptionally clean. We enjoyed a delightful hot breakfast served by friendly wait staff in the morning. Our departure was with some regret as we had enjoyed the attentiveness of the staff so much. Overall, we were most impressed with the quiet, clean and warm charm of the Marriott and would recommend it highly to fellow travellers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jean Q,

What a great review! I am happy to hear that you found our service, cleanliness and breakfast to be incredible. Our breakfast team has been consistently performing in the top 2% of all Courtyards in the world and we are very proud of their accomplishments. Our housekeeping team will love hearing that you were impressed by the cleanliness. It sounds like you booked the Portland Perks package which includes parking, breakfast and a coupon book. This package is a great value. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.

503-382-3144

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!