Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montpelier, Vermont
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I normally don't linger at the hotel bars when I travel and prefer to get out to more local establishments, but the staff here, specifically Chris at the bar, made it an easy choice. The staff was knowledgable about local wines and beers and made it seem like I was at a local establishment. This isn't the normal courtyard, and I've staircase at many. It is also an easy walking distance to downtown.

• Stayed June 2013
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Pete M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with the staff, especially Chis at the bar. I will congratulate him on a job well done. Thank you very much for staying with us.

pkilbourne@csmcorp.net

488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Bridgewater, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Lobby area is quite nice and the staff is over the top friendly. The room was large and comfortable, except for the noisy a/c. However the bathroom, though clean, was dreary and needs renovation. Soaps, towels, paper cups were low end. Breakfast buffet was to standard, but no one at the omelette station and I saw the eggman hanging out in the kitchen peeking occasionally out to his station.
Overall, fine for a night or two of business travel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Jack G,
I am thrilled that you found my staff to "over the top friendly". I will pass your feedback regarding our omelette chef on to our Food and Beverage Manager. That level of service is far outside of normal for us. In fact, we have one of the highest rated breakfasts in the Courtyard chain of hotels. Our bath amenities are Paul Mitchell and our towels far exceed the standard Courtyard towel in both weight and size. Our paper cups are disposable and work great with our single cup in-room brewers. During your next stay, I would be happy to provide you with whatever amenities would make your stay more comfortable.

Pkilbourne@csmcorp.net
Hayden, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I’ve never written or posted any kind of negative review of anything inn my life, but the service and the deceptive charges by this hotel were upsetting enough that I now find it necessary to do so. First, for anyone not familiar with Portland, this hotel is not located downtown. Not really even that close, unless you like riding buses or streetcars. It is across the river and at least a two mile walk if it were possible to walk across the busy bridge. Next, as the title here suggests, please be aware of the over-priced additional charges not included in your room cost. Parking is $18.00. This is a marginal inner-city area and not prime downtown real estate. There is no other need to charge so much for parking other than to pile on charges. Even worse, they ended up charging me $20.25 on my credit card statement. I mean who is really going to go to the trouble of disputing the additional $2.25? Just an easy way to skim more small profits from unsuspecting guests. Buffet breakfast is $13.00. Ever pay $13 for a buffet breakfast before? I never have and never will again. The food was edible but not much better than a $4 McDonald’s breakfast. There is also no mini-fridge or microwave to fix a light breakfast instead.

The room and hotel were a decent three star accommodation, but certainly not worthy the four and five star ratings many have posted here. (Five star ratings in particular should be reserved for truly exceptional resort or downtown properties.) Because of the very upsetting service, however, I have no choice but to give this hotel two stars. The dishonest or at least deceptive additional charges made me want to post a one star rating, yet Ido realize that some people won’t mind throwing away and extra 30 or 40 dollars for over-priced necessary “incidentals.”

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Jim K,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. We certainly do not want our guests to feel as though we are not offering them a fantastic value.

There are a few things that I would like to clarify for you and anyone else that has read this review. We absolutely do not hide charges on a guest's bill. Parking at our hotel (as stated on our website) is $18 for self-parking or $21 for valet (we are valet only on the weekends). Our parking garage is under the hotel in a secure area. Our parking rate is comparable with the other hotels in our neighborhood and almost half of what comparable hotels charge on the west side of the river in Portland. The additional $2.25 that you mentioned was for the 3 local calls that you made using your room phone at $.75 each and had nothing to do with the parking charge.

I am sorry to hear that you do not feel that $13 is a fair price for our breakfast buffet. We are currently ranked in the top 2% of all Courtyard by Marriott hotels worldwide for overall value and satisfaction of our breakfast. We are very proud of this and our rankings show that we are meeting the needs of our guests on a very consistent basis.

We are in the process of installing refrigerators in every room and we have microwaves available upon request. I certainly hope that you will see the value in what we offer. If you choose to stay with us again, we will already have a refrigerator in your room and we can deliver a microwave upon your request.

Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance.

pkilbourne@csmcorp.net
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel is large enough to meet all your needs and small enough to be boutique oriented. great people, great place, and great rest. I especially like the breakfast atmosphere as well as happy hour. The staff including Island are so friendly. Thank you for your funny stories and making me feel warm and welcome. The restaurant reminds me of cheers when Norm walks in and everyone knows his name!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Paramus, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was recently in town for an event at the Convention Center. There were no hotels that met my standards in the area so I opted for the Courtyard by Marriott, Portland Downtown Convention Center. I can't tell you how very pleased I was with my stay. At first we were booked in a handicapped room. I spoke to the front desk who could not be more accommodating. They changed my room immediately. The front desk was ALWAYS very helpful. The staff drove us with their van everywhere we wanted to go. As I was there for a week, I wanted a few food items to keep in the fridge. They drove us to the food store and waited for us to shop. They drove us to local restaurants and picked us up when we were done. The service was beyond compare. Everyone in the hotel was friendly and happy to help. All the service certainly made up for the fact that this would not have been my first choice, but would be now if I return to the area. The room by the way, was clean and bright and met all our needs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Location: By far not the nicest neighborhood in Portland. This being said, it's very close to all the key amenities and a short shuttle bus ride away. I just wish the immediate neighborhood was nicer to stroll around. The lobby is fully renovated and quite enjoyable.

Room: Unfortunately the rooms look a bit dated and the workstation is a bit dark and not as comfortable to work in the room.

Bed: Comfortable.

Cleanliness/Condition: OK.

Service: Excellent and friendly service both at check-in and in restaurant. Food options are reasonable which is convenient given the limited selection nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ocean shores
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The wife and I went to see Mumford and Sons at the Rose Center and didn't want a long drive home after but didn't want a fleabag motel stay either. I was very pleased to get a smokin deal on a room here that was easy walking distance to the concert.
Pros - Our room was only $70 for the night. I don't know how they could do it so cheap but that was a heck of a deal. I have stayed in some pretty dicey spots for that (last one I actually opted for the car in their parking lot over actually staying in the room). Now... got it off of another site that offers special deals but by far this was a HUGE pro. After that, the room was very nice, clean and the mattress was so comfy we actually looked at what brand (Serta) so we could think of buying one when ours poops out. I like to gauge a room on showers...weird right...but I hate the low shower head, bad pressure, etc, showers...not here. The bath and shower were really nice. Add to that a window that really opens, a light dampening and light eliminating shade and you have a great room at an awesome price. If that were not enough...the staff were awesome! Very welcoming and friendly. Also you don't have to go anywhere for a decent meal as there is a full bar and grill/resteraunt downstairs.
Cons - It is kinda hard after giving it so many pros but...the pool (yes they have a pool) was pretty small...almost pointless- but it is there. Be aware there is a charge for parking though this is hardly a con because it is common and they are very reasonable. We tried to get service at the bar and grab a bite before the show and had a hard time...I have a susipicion they were not prepared for the crowd but still it was very hard to get service...once we had it our server was great...the food? Ok...but it seemed a little steep for the basic grill fare. We were happy we had been to the food trucks earlier. The breakfast buffet was nice but again... a little steep. Granted it was with full service and classy atmosphere. The A/C was the window kind and while not noisy certainly detracted from the room.
Overall-At the price we paid...what a great experience...Thank you Marriott. I would, however, find another resteraunt to eat at next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!