“Amazing and caring staff members” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center

You added Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   435 NE Wasco St, Portland, OR 97232   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazing and caring staff members”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

For spring break my family and I went to Portland and stayed at this hotel. While we did not stay here that long ad we were seeing all the Portland sites there was one staff member named Emily who really stood out! My mom and sister were talking about going to Voodoo Doughnuts in the morning for a bacon doughnut that they have and she said it was amazing do my mom and sister scheduled a shuttle to take them there on the morning. Sitting in the room reading some books I got at Powells while my mom, sister, and brother were at the pool, a box and a letter. The box was from Voodoo Doughnuts and contained four bacon doughnuts, one for my mom, brother, sister, and I. The letter was from Emily and said this was just a preview of what was to come tomorrow. She went to the doughnut shop and bought each of us a doughnut and was one of the reasons why we had an UNFORGETTABLE first family vacation!!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Booked this through Hotels.com and got a great rate. The location is great if you want to visit Portland but don't want to pay the high prices at the downtown hotels. Most of the good neighbourhoods and restaurants are on this east side of the river anyway. If you feel the need to go downtown, there are a couple of light rail lines that will take you there cheaply and quickly. If you have a car, it's handy to all the areas on the east side. You have to pay extra for parking here which is going to add to your hotel bill. NOTE: it is possible to park on the street around the hotel for cheaper than self parking or valet in the hotel lot. If you park on the West side of Grand Ave, the parking is from 8am-10pm, BUT if you park on the East side of Grand Ave it's from 8am-6pm.
This means you can park from 6pm til 8am for free. The only catch is you will have to get up early to put money in the meter but you can load it up with about 5 hours I believe. We paid about $5/day for parking doing it this way, as compared to $18/day for self park.
The rooms are on the small side but clean and there's a small pool (no hot tub) and an exercise room. Try to stay on the top floor, on the courtyard side to minimize noise. Grand Ave is a main street and can be very noisy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here after booking a deal through a deal site, so honestly we weren't sure what to expect. From the moment we arrived we had a very pleasant experience. It has that nice lobby feel which most up to date Courtyard by Marriott hotels have. The staff were very prompt at getting us checked in, and as the hotel seemed quiet, they gave us 2 breakfast vouchers to use for both mornings of our stay, which were complimentary - we were delighted.

The rooms are again, pretty standard Marriott hotels, but they were comfortable and we had no complaints. We had dinner one evening at the hotel, the food was yummy and the waiter was very attentive. After, we had a drink in the very lovely hotel bar.

They run a shuttle into downtown Portland which is super convenient so you don't have to drive in and find parking, and as the weather was quite wet while we were there, we really appreciated this. They even came back to pick us up after we were done.

In general, we found this hotel very accommodating, the staff very friendly, and the location is also a bonus. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Portland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Creek, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Honestly I stayed here because I had a discount on the hotel. Plus, I've always like Marriott Hotels. I stayed here after surgery. I was having surgery in the morning and i wanted to go straight from the hospital to the hotel. I called to make sure and everything was good to go. My better half had no problems checking in early. In the room I noticed a bag on the table. In the bag was a drink, and a bunch of goodies. Chocolates and sorts. It had a card that said something about hoping for a good recovery. I thought that was so sweet of the staff. Then I went down to the restaurant for dinner. I was feeling a bit sluggish and I couldn't figure out what I wanted. The lady somehow knew I was recovering and she told me she would have the cooks make whatever I wanted. Again, so nice! Then at breakfast the server was also very nice and tried to help me along. I just couldn't believe how great the staff were being while I was feeling my worst
Ok, enough about the staff. The Hotel is what people are really wanting know about. The hotel was nice. Normal Marriott style. I love the Marriott because I feel its on the higher end of quality without being on the way high end of price like some of the other hotels downtown Portland.
The only thing that I was really bummed about was the location. When I booked it for downtown, I was really thinking downtown city lights. When I was feeling bad and out I wanted to look out and see the wonderful city and city lights. But when I looked out the window, a whole lot of nothing. SO, not a very good view, and its not really downtown like close to anything. To be fair, I was only on the 3rd floor so its not like I would see much of city lights anyways.
Bed was comfortable. Everything was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Having stayed at several Marriott properties in Portland including the Courtyard City Center, the Marriott Downtown Waterfront, the Residence Inn Lloyd Center, the Springhill Suites Airport, the Fairfield Inn Airport, and recently the Courtyard Beaverton, the Courtyard Downtown/Convention Center is my favorite Portland area Marriott property.

Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, internet is fast, and the staff has always been very attentive and helpful during all my stays here.

What I like most about this hotel is the location. Being in NE Portland, it is still downtown but easier to get to and from than the hotels on the SW side (i.e. Marriott Dtw Waterfront and Courtyard City Center). It is only 10 minutes walking or less than a 5 minute drive to the Lloyd Center Mall and many dining choices are also within walking distance or a short drive.

The only downsides to this hotel IMO (and it is the same for any of the downtown properties), is the pay to park. However, the parking here is still more convenient than the Marriott Dtw Waterfront and the Courtyard City Center. For rewards redemption point travelers, as I also noted in a review of the Courtyard Beaverton, the redemption point cost is higher here due to location than the Courtyard Beaverton, so for rewards travelers the Courtyard Beaverton is a great lower cost alternative with free and plentiful parking.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a good value for cost hotel in the close-in downtown Portland area.

Room Tip: Due to close proximity to the road, if you are very sensitive to street noise, you may want to reque...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel itself is within walking distance to the Riverfront and downtown Portland. The MAX line was also a few minutes walk away which was perfect. Right around the corner from the hotel are fast food options such as Subway and the convention center is also nearby.
The lobby of the hotel was pretty modern with a large flat screen tv with news and weather. There are also two computer stations for guests to use right by a cozy lounge area. The facility has a bar and a restaurant. There is an outdoor lounge area with a open air 'fireplace' and lounge chairs surrounding. It would be a nice place to relax on a warm day. Unfortunately the smell of cigarette smoke from employees on break was wafting around that area during the time I was out there. The bar area has some good local drafts and priced for food and drink seemed fair (ex. $6 for 16oz local draft) The restaurant Charley's had a good breakfast buffet with made to order pancakes, waffles, and omelets. They also have oatmeal with a nice selection of toppings, fresh fruit, pastries, bread, and cereals.
The room itself was ok. A big thing we noticed right away was the SMELL! There is some kind of fragrance that was sprayed in the room and it was potent. The scent wasn't even something that can be described as neutral. It was almost an artificial tutti frutti smell. I am not that sensitive to smells but my travel partner was- we opened the window and left the room so air it out for a few hours. When we returned a few hours later - no difference. We called down to the front desk and they said all the rooms smell that way and it is due to a spray that housekeeping use. They offered us a box fan. Not much help. If you are anyone you travel with has any kind of sensitivity or allergies to fragrances, I highly recommend staying elsewhere or asking to see a room before committing to staying here. I can see how some people would have problems.

The room itself was clean but seemed a little dated compared to the lobby. The bathroom was small and sink was separate from the toilet/shower area. The bed was comfortable enough. Noise levels were moderate-loud. You can definitely hear whatever was going on on the streets below, but it's a given with being in the city. The heat/fan unit was also pretty noisy.

Customer service as great at the front desk and Charley's was great, the people we spoke with were always friendly and helpful.

That all being said, I would only stay here again if I got a great deal because frankly, I don't think the hotel is worth the advertised rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kirkland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My niece and I stayed at the Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center last weekend and really enjoyed it. Three things made our stay great. First, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the MAX line. We came down on the train from Seattle and took transit to the Portland Saturday Market, Powell's Books, and the Japanese Garden. Secondly, this Courtyard is one of the few left that still has a great breakfast buffet. We used to stay at Courtyards all the time until they changed the restaurant set-up to the Bistro, which we don't care for. Lastly, the front desk staff was wonderful. Calla, in particular, made us feel welcome and went out of her way to provide us with information when we asked where we might go to listen to music in the evening. The fellow at the front desk the next morning was also very personable and helpful. Unfortunately, we forgot to get his name. Did I mention that the room was also very spacious, clean and comfortable? We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!