“4/12-13” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #86 of 133 Hotels in Portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Attended a conference in Portland last week and wanted a hotel near the convention center, with breakfast, that fit my budget. I wasn't expecting luxury for my 4 nights at the Econo Lodge, but good grief. The lobby is large enough for one person and their luggage. The "breakfast" is set up in a corner of the lobby--pot of coffee, jug of orange juice and your choice of a frosted packaged pastry or . . . a frosted packaged pastry. No variation, food to be eaten in your room. One coffee pod in your room per day. My roommate and I repeatedly had our keys re-keyed as they did not operate the door when we came home, with never an apology. The proprietor refused to allow my roommate to check out early (since she had a 6am flight the next day) and pay her part of the bill. Since the reservation was made with my credit card, that was all he would accept for payment. On the plus side, the room was clean and the streetcar (only stops every half hour) picks up directly across the street. Wish I had a better report for $110 a night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Clayton, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We had stopped at this motel due to horrible weather conditions and we could no longer drive in the snow. When we arrived, the receptionist provided horrible service. We entered the room and the heater did not work and the bed was very hard, which left us tossing and turning the entire night. Their continental breakfast consisted of orange juice and a couple of stale danishes. Would not recommend this place at all!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Locust Hill
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

It isn't called econo for nothing. Having said that, I don't consider $90.00 exactly cheap. You wouldn't want to spend too much time in the room. The carpet doesn't just need cleaning, It needs to be replaced. I don't know where the "convention centre" part of it comes in because judging from the size of the parking lot it would have to be an awfully small convention. The free breakfast in the morning reinforces the saying "ya gets what ya pays for.

Room Tip: The only tip I can give to others if they want a good room is to go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Saint Joseph, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bit of noise from the road but very peaceful. Mysterious spot on floor near bathroom but other than that was a great place to stay for one night. They upgraded our room for free since the door to the one we booked wouldn't open. Very friendly staff.

Stayed January 2014
Veneta, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very close to Moda Center.Perfect for a game. The room was clean, fine. An economy hotel, but it was a good value for the price. No complaints! Our room faced the road so a bit of road noise but we were tired after the game and it didnt bother us much. Danish and coffee in the morning/ TV had lots of channels. heater was very very warm.

Room Tip: away from the street
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

On the plus side, Econo Lodge lives up to its name. It was the least expensive place I could find anywhere close to Downtown. The staff was friendly enough, though not overly so, and the room was adequately clean.

However, there was a bit of an odd smell. You got used to it pretty quickly once you were in the room, but each time you went out and came back it would take a few minutes to get used to it again. It seemed to be coming from the bathroom, which to me indicates a plumbing issue. This really should be fixed. Doesn't really make me want to go back.

Also, they advertise free continental breakfast, but what that really is is coffee, orange juice, and 7-11 danishes. Pretty disappointed by that. Thought there might at least be cereal (fruit would have been nice, but I think that would have been asking too much). So we had breakfast out both mornings.

Lastly, the cable kept going in and out. We were trying to watch Breaking Bad. We could get AMC, but then we'd lose it. It was bad enough so that we didn't watch the show and ended up streaming it when we got home. I did notice a DirectTV antenna outside, which made me confused... were we watching cable or satellite? The lower-numbered channels did come in, but I did expect all the channels to work properly.

All in all, not terrible, but I don't think I'll be going back unless I really need to save money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Convention Center? Share your experiences!