“Great place to stay in Portland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portland Convention Hotel

You added Portland Convention Hotel to your Saves list
Portland Convention Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1021 Northeast Grand Avenue, Portland, OR 97232 (Formerly Red Lion Hotel Portland Convention Center)   |
Ranked #82 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Portland
“Great place to stay in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Everything was seamless. Really friendly and helpful staff. No worries, no problems, great night's sleep. And so easy to get to from the airport, no car needed. When you stay, you have to eat at the cafe'. great food.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bellevue, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I shoulda known better. Was lured here by the current $89/night rate promotion. Room is okay, but they don't have air conditioning to cool down the room to sleep. The in-room thermostat is tied to the outside temp, so the AC only works if it's over 70 outside. The room was quite warm because of the sunshine coming in all day through the window. But, I wasn't able to cool it off at night. The only recourse was to open the window, meaning lots of noise and some bugs (no screens). Also, terrible internet service. It kept going out every 15 minutes, forcing me to reboot. Not worth the savings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Front Office Manager at Portland Convention Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for the feedback from you recent stay. I apologize for the issue you experienced with the internet and the room temperature. Unfortunately the mild weather does make it a challenge for the HVAC, to please all our guests. We have recently made an upgrade to then internet service so it should be more reliable in the future. Again, thank you for your comments, we hope you will consider us the next time you travel to Portland.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

..then the benefits taper off. I will say that the staff are excellent and very helpful/friendly. First room I was given reeked of pot smoke. The desk folks found a new room quickly but I was surprised that got through housekeeping. I was surprised that there were no room safes, something I have come to count on. There was also no shampoo or conditioner. The light switches did not work so one had to stumble through the room to turn one on. Finally, the heating system is problematic- one cannot choose the temperature and must rely on management's decision to turn the heat or A/C on. It was always overly hot. It is just a generally mediocre property that feels very drab.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are currently working to improve the housekeeping department as well as maintenance of the rooms. We will be undergoing a major renovation next year that will improve all aspects of the hotel. I am happy to hear the staff were friendly and helpful. Again, thank you for your comments, we hope you will consider us on a future visit to Portland.

Millbrook, Alabama, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The good news is, the staff was very friendly. They worked hard to be helpful, and I appreciated that. The hotel was clean and it looked cared for. The bad news is, it was an old building and it needs some major renovations. The heating/cooling system could either heat (for everyone) or it could cool (for everyone). Since when I visited was allegedly in a moderate time (highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s), there was no cooling. As a result, all during the day, the room got uncomfortably hot. The only way to control the heat was to open a window - which let in lots of noise. The walls between the rooms were too thin. Even though my neighbors were not trying to be noisy, I could hear almost everything going on in their rooms, as I am sure they could hear what was going on in mine. There were no where near enough electrical outlets for a modern traveler. They even had to run an extension cord from the room next door to have power for my desk lamp. The hotel is very convenient to the light rail line and it is very convenient to the convention center. Other than that, I found little to make me want to stay here should I ever come back to Portland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RL_Customer_Care, Front Office Manager at Portland Convention Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. I am happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful, we appreciate the positive feedback. I apologize for the issues you had with your guest room. Our goal is to provide a comfortable stay to every guest and clearly we failed to do that. We are currently making improvements to better serve our customers needs, however the building is old and outdated. The good news is a major renovation is scheduled for next summer. We value you as a guest and ask you to please consider us for a future stay.

Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Red Lion on a week night and the hotel was not full. While the hotel is pretty old, it was still nice enough and the room was very well decorated and with plenty of light. Our room was located on the end of one winf of the building, the end of the building that was very close to the Max train tracks. While the train frequency did slow down after 10:00, they still passed our room every few minutes and with each train, I was back awake listening to the rumble and the noise. I ask about it to the front desk the next morning, and was told that if I had requested a room away from the trains, I could have gotten it, although I did not know to request the room away from the trains when we checked in, as I did not know about the train noise. Luckily, we were only staying one night, which was plenty at that hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the Train Tracks !!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing helpful feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you had with the noise from the light rail. We take all of our guest’s comments seriously as they assist us in providing better service. I apologize our front office staff did not alert you of the potential noise issue. We will be happy to place you in a more quiet location on a future stay. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel provided a decent value for the price. The rooms were clean (but a bit dated). The hotel is right next to public transportation that runs every 5 minutes, but I took care of that with some earplugs. The bed was uncomfortable and a bit lumpy, I had to sleep in the middle to get some support (I like a firm bed). Free wi-fi included. Staff were friendly and helpful.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel was decent, but upon check in, the main thing I can remember is smell- our non smoking room smelled like it had been a previously smoking room and it was extremely stuffy. Upon arrival, we immediately had to open the room windows and depart for the air to feel comfortably breathable.

First impressions are everything for a hotel. We chose this place for best price, but after the fact, would have paid more for a more presentable/"ready" room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Portland Convention Hotel? Share your experiences!