“Good location, good value, good service” 4 of 5 stars

Park Lane Suites & Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   809 SW King Ave, Portland, OR 97205   |
Ranked #56 of 133 Hotels in Portland
North Vancouver, Canada
“Good location, good value, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed in a two bedroom suite (so have not seen the 'Inn' part of the facility) for three nights while visiting Portland for the Brew Festival. Our friends could not join us, so it ended up being just the two of us.
The main lobby area is contemporary, and offers orange-infused water, fruit, cookies and coffee. And a nice air-conditioned sitting area.
All of the staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Excellent customer service!
The suites were clean, and the furniture was contemporary, but the kitchen cupboards, bathroom and carpet were looking tired and worn, more like an older motel feel. There were signs of previous water damage in the kitchen and bathroom. But again, it was clean.
And the price was very reasonable for what we got. Note that the kitchen had two cooking elements, but there was no oven. Not a problem for us, and I don't know if other suite kitchens may be different.
The location was great. We could walk all the way to downtown and to the park with the Brew Fest. Transit stop was also nearby if you prefer that. Or take in the shopping and restaurants just around the corner on 23rd. We walked to, and through, the park and the Japanese and Rose Gardens. Zupan's market and a Starbucks were only a couple of blocks away. We actually didn't move our truck once we parked it (for free!) at the hotel.
Wifi was free, but I had trouble staying on the network when I went to the back part of the suite. We were the farthest point from the lobby, so that may have factored in. Those rooms at the farthest point were good as you don't get other guests going past your door.
Rooms ending in '10' and '11' are closest to the recycling, which may get loud when guest drop in their glass recycling. Kudos for the hotel for having a recycling program though!
And in the kitchen was complimentary orange juice and two containers of oatmeal.
Beds were nice and firm, the way I personally like them. I had good sleeps. And I found it to be quiet at nice as the hotel was not on the main street of Burnside. It felt more residential just being that one short block off the main street.
We had an enjoyable stay, at what I feel is a great price. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here w kids and a friend and really liked the service, location, kitchenette. My son has food allergies so the full fridge, stovetop, sink was essential. All was clean, great. Great for casual friends, kids.

• Stayed June 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My parents, husband, son and I rented two suites on a lower floor in the main building. The hotel is modern, parking is good, staff are very helpful. Décor has been updated in the past two years. It is incredibly central and well-connected to Tri-Met and MAX lines. Close walking to the emporium that is 23rd St. Very family-friendly. A welcoming lobby which I used for work - wifi good - all in all, great value. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends visiting. My husband is from PDX and I know it fairly well (we now live in the Midwest), having visited often since 1998. We've stayed in the Kimpton downtown and other spendy hotels, but this one was just perfect for our needs this trip. A huge thank you again to the incredibly kind and accommodating staff. If something about your room or stay is not working for you, just let them know; they'd love the chance to fix it and help you.

Room Tip: The main building is clearly the more desirable location, the higher the better (basic advice).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Guelph, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Nice friendly helpful service. Nice clean rooms. Thought the aesthetic was pretty neutral with a nice elegant edge. Simple accommodations, no pool, no gym, but didn't need those anyway. Good value. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay- with 4 in our party we decided on one suite room and one regular room at the inn w/ 2 queens. The suite had a nice kitchen and the sleeper couch was quite comfortable. Front desk people were helpful and answered our questions about the area.
Having Washington Park ony a few blocks away made evening walks a nice way to end each day.
The prices are very reasonable for what you get- accommodations were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Park Lane was perfect for my needs. I was in Portland for a 3 day conference, and wanted an affordable, clean, decent hotel within walking distance of downtown. I stayed on the Inn side, rather than the suites.The room itself was quite nice - a basic motel room setup, but with lovely upgrades. Attractive bedding, bamboo-type flooring, lovely bathroom fixtures (huge shower), great fluffy towels. Very clean. Another review mentioned that the curtains were just a thin see-through type - however there is also a thick pull-down shade that blocks ALL light and peeping eyes. It was super quiet in my room at night - no problems with noisy neighbors at all.

The heart of downtown was about a 20 minute walk, but the Max light rail train shortens that - it's only about 5-7 minutes walk to the stop(s), and it's $2.50 for a 2hr pass, or $5 for a one-day pass. Coming from the airport or downtown you can either get off at the Providence Park stop, or Kings Hill/SW Salmon. Going to the airport or downtown the Kings Hill/SW Salmon stop is easiest. I'm sure their are super convenient buses as well - but I didn't take advantage of them on this trip.

It's a very short walk from Park Lane to the shops/restaurants on NW 23rd St - which is SO great. Worth a stroll up there just for Salt & Straw ice cream!

I felt pretty safe walking to and fro from downtown, even at midnight - but I'm pretty used to such things.....you may want to inquire at the front desk for their opinions on that.

I'll definitely stay at Park Lane again the next time I'm in Portland!

Room Tip: My 2nd floor room on the Inn side had a view of downtown, which was lovely. You may want to request...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed three nights at the Inn side of the property, which isn't as nice as the Suites building. I don't think I was made aware of the difference when I booked the room.

The location of both the Suites and Inn is very convenient to Washington Park and the trendy Nob Hill district. We like to walk and we visited both of these places comfortably on foot. The room had all of the basic amenities, beds and bathroom (shower only), dresser and nightstand. There was a nice view of Portland from our second story room, albeit a bit on the industrial side of town. We had no problem parking in the hotel lot near our room.

The room, however, had not much else to recommend it. No chairs or tables, no coffee maker, or microwave oven or refrigerator. Coffee was available in the lobby, a short walk across the street and up a hill. The platform beds were a little noisy and not overly comfortable. No elevators and the wireless was slow as molasses.

The room was priced less than other properties in the Downtown area, and for good reason. Not a bad stay, but not luxurious one either.

Room Tip: Ground room floors would be a plus, schlepping luggage up the stairs was a chore.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple