“Looks worse on outside than it is on inside” 3 of 5 stars

Eastside Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   949 East Burnside Street, Portland, OR 97214   |
Ranked #81 of 133 Hotels in Portland
or
“Looks worse on outside than it is on inside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Rooms are marginally renovated but bathrooms are not- quiet enough all things considered

Folks its an exterior corridor hotel in a marginal neighborhood- it has lost 2 franchises in the last couple years... Service people were great but really they know it, you get what you pay for

Nice to have some late night food stalls open nearby however!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

The folks working there seemed nice enough but the fact that they spread out group booking multiple rooms to either side of our room was in and of itself a huge fail. Not having their ONE employee at night even step out of the office so they can hear if there's any noise being made is another huge fail. Blaming the customer for not calling repeatedly to ask management to deal with incredibly loud neighbors? The largest fail of them all. We could deal with the crappy, leaking shower stall (no tub), we could deal with the fact that in the middle of the summer, their pool was covered and not accessible, we could even deal with all of the loud traffic passing by every few minutes on Burnside but the fact that I had to go over and personally get the people in the rooms around us to shut up is beyond ridiculous.

For the "quality" of my stay I wouldn't pay a penny over $20/night so them charging $70+ is just horrible. I only chose this place because of it's convenient location between downtown and an area that we were going to a touring show for. I will never return and I was highly recommend no one else stay here unless it's an absolute emergency and you bring ear plugs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I think if you have the right expectations, this place is just fine. The staff was lovely on check in and our room was ready early. They offered good advice on where to eat breakfast in the morning and were always pleasant. Yes, it is dated, but it was clean, the bed was comfortable, and very convenient for us. There was a swimming pool, but it was covered when we were there.

Room Tip: The staff recommended the second level for quiet
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

My co-worker and I needed to find an inexpensive place to stay...the price was too high considering the type of hotel it turned out to be. It is not in the greatest neighborhood. There is a strip club located right across the street. When we opened the blinds up, there was a man peeing right outside, the towels had holes in them, both of the comforters had stains, there was mold in the shower, and there was someone's bra left behind in one of the cabinets. I highly recommend spending a bit more to stay at a nicer place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I am a businessman that puts on entertainment events, and I suggest to my clients that they stay here They've always always given me Business rate discount, and that means a lot to me and my clients.
For Location, this place cannot be beat!
It's just a few blocks from the Willamette River. You can a bicycle or go for a walk and explore this wonderful city with ease.
Within a block of the Hotel were great restaurants, coffee shops and even a nightclub across the street. I really appreciated that! Within a block of the Hotel great restaurants, coffee shops, a wine bar, and even a nightclub!
I would recommend this establishment to anyone who is looking for secure, dependable lodging!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Nampa, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I was traveling with my boyfriend and my brother with his family. We came to the thriftlodge as a last resort because we have been traveling all day and were all exhausted. My boyfriend was going to rent a room for himself because we are not married, and I was going to stay with my brother and his family in a separate room.

When we were renting the rooms, the night manager was extremely rude to only me. He thought that I was going to plan an extremely large party with me, and he was refusing to rent to me. I offered to pay for half of my boyfriend's room, and the manger stared me down warning me that if any damages were done, it would be on my card even though I was not staying in the room! I was very upset and started to cry and left to wait in the car. My sister-in-law then said that as I left, the manager continued to bad mouth me behind my back.
This was the worst customer service that I have ever received. I felt that I was being stereotyped and discriminated by the man. Never going back there again!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I travelled down from Seattle by train and stayed at the Portland Central Thriftlodge with 7 other guys for my best friends bachelor party. The hotel is in moderate walking distance from the station as well as downtown Portland. The rooms were spare but clean and slept 4 per room comfortably, though the hotel is showing some age. The rate for 4 is excellent, especially so close to city nightlife downtown, and the staff are extremely nice and friendly - even agreeing to store a dozen bags behind the desk for us after we checked out on our final day and fun to chat with. Great for a weekend stay with a large group of friends.

• Stayed September 2009

Been to Eastside Lodge? Share your experiences!