“Could be improved” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Wiltshire, UK
“Could be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

We didn't get off to a particularly good start with our one night stay in September 2006. We had booked a non-smoking room but on arrival were told we had specified no-preference and that there were in fact no non-smoking rooms left. Miraculously when we said that we would go elsewhere rather than stay in a smoking room a non-smoking room was suddenly found. On checking our email booking receipt it clearly stated non-smoking so we hadn't made a mistake. The room itself was very large with a sofa as well as king-bed. There was a microwave, fridge and coffee-maker. Tea bags, as well as coffee, were provided but these were damp and decidedly unpleasant. Given the large size of the room the bathroom was tiny and it was in fact quite a squeeze getting through the bathroom door, and neither of us are particularly large. Having free wireless internet access was a bonus. A complimentary breakfast was available but the choice was very poor and no one appeared to be looking after the tiny breakfast room meaning that when things ran out they were not refilled. Despite the problems the room was clean and comfortable and the price was reasonable for Portland.

• Liked — Good price for Portland
  • Disliked — Problems on check-in
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Shilo Inn Portland Rose Garden
and were very satified with the hotel. It was one of the best
that we stayed in while traveling the Portland area. I would recommend it anyone. It was clean and very nice. Better than the upscale hotel that we stayed in downtown........
Pa. traveler 9/06

• Liked — very clean and nice room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
lincoln city oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

My husband and I just stayed at the Shilo Rose Garden for 3 nights. We have stayed in many hotels in Portland over the years and this ranks high up on satisfaction for many reasons. It is not perfect but a great location and great rate offset the few small things that bothered me. We stayed on the second floor and yes there is no elevator. If that bothers you then stay on the first floor. Our room was 203 which was smaller than I would have liked only because the bed was so large. We had a king bed and it had to be the biggest king bed that I have ever seen. It was firm without being hard as a rock and the sheets were clean and soft. The television was a flat screen and Showtime was the cable movie network along with the usual small smattering of cable basic channels (my pet peeve with most hotels is that they dont give enough televison channels). Free internet in the room was appreciated at the nice desk provided with great lighting. There was a microwave, a nice refrigerator and coffee pot in the room. The bathroom is way too small and almost impossible to use. You cannot close the door without almost stepping into the shower. Bad design. However the shower head is wonderful with good steady hot water even if it is wayyyy too high for someone who is barely over 5 feet tall to adjust. The shower is lined with granite and marble and the ammenities for soap, shower gel, conditioner, shampoo and mouthwash are way above standard issue. USA Today is offered free of charge in the small but servicable lobby. The people behind the desk are amazingly friendly and knowledgible about places to go to and how to get there. Second pet peeve with most hotels and this one as well is the early hour that continental breakfast is over. Before 9 am is just too early for us to be dressed and out of the room most of the time we are on a trip. The breakfast is basic with canned juice (quite good actually) and small muffins and a few cereals. No waffles or places to do toast or bagels so it falls down on the job compared to other hotel chains here. The Shilo Rose Garden is in a tucked away location right next to the Holiday Inn and mapquest was correct in routing us there from our home location. It is very easy to get over the river to downtown from the Shilo. It was extremely quiet and quite comfortable overall. The rate was below $100 a night which is a rarity for Portland. We will stay there again if the rate stays the same.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — small space
  • Tips/Secrets — if the price is right it is a good choice for portland oregon
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

I've never been disappointed when following the advise of "tripadvisor", but I was on my business trip here. The location is fine, even tho it's hard to find. I thought it smelled smokey. I stayed on the 2nd floor and there was no elevator. Also, when I got to my room I found the remote under the bed, the shower head extremely high, and no clocks! Weird.
There are many more fun little hotels that people recommended once I got there. I also got the pained look when telling people where I was staying. Try to find someplace else...

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

We stopped at the Sheraton Four Points right next to the MAX line downtown to find a room with hairy bedsheets. Yes it was disgusting. So we hopped on the MAX to the Rose Garden area where most hotels were full but the little two story Shilo had rooms, with military discount (a rarity in Portland). It was clean, newly remodeled, quiet, and a perfect night for a no reservations trip.

• Stayed April 2006
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

This was an excellent place to stay. The front desk attendants were very helpful and courteous. The pictures provided on the hotel's website are 100% accurate, I posted pictures of my room (2 queen beds) to show you just how accurate they are! Its newly remodeled and you can absolutely tell. I was in Portland for a Toby Keith concert at the Rose Garden and this was 4 blocks away, which is absolutely walking distance. I will stay at this hotel again, and I would recommend the same to you!

• Stayed January 2006
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a five-night stay at the Shilo Inn - Garden Quarter. We stayed here based on previous reviews and would agree with all the information that was offered. In addition to the complimentary breakfast, parking, cable t.v., high-speed internet connection, friendly staff, etc, there were small touches that we took note of that added to our experience...

Regarding the rooms...a seperate vanity area (with sink) from the (small) enclosed toilet/shower room was great for two people to get ready at the same time. Plastic-wrapped glasses placed in a built-in vanity-area shelf increased the sense of "cleanliness" in room accomodations. And, even a movable peephole cover on the door provided an extra feeling of safety and security once safely tucked away inside for the night. I would absolutely agree about the newly redecorated rooms, including a nicely-sized work station with comfortable chair, and large sofa in the same material.

The rooms on the "traffic side" of the hotel were relatively quiet for a metropolitan city, and any noise was quickly drowned out by turning on the room fan. It was much quietier than I would assume staying directly downtown would be! And, the room doors, well, they are as loud as any hotel when people let them freely slam, but can be closed quietly with minimal effort (sorry...my pet peeve!).

Regarding the staff...we arrived mid-morning on a Saturday and were just hoping to store our bags, since we had not yet rented a car, until we could check in. To our happy surprise, the clerk offerred that they had a room available, one that we had requested, and checked us in right away...at 10:00 am. We brought our things to our room and set off on our day in Portland...it was very nice.

Regarding the location...I must admit when I first "rolled up" to the hotel with my luggage (after taking the MAX from the airport), I was a little concerned about the location of the hotel and what may be inside of this little two-story building, between a high-rise retirement building, a dental building, and next door to a 7-Eleven. But, once I went inside, met the staff, and saw our room, my worries were quickly gone. Over the five nights we were there, we began to feel a part of the neighborhood, taking the MAX to and from town (after a quick five-minute/three-block walk to the station), returning to rest in the late afternoon, and then visiting one of the chain restaurants (Red Robin, Denny's, Burgerville, Starbucks) adjacent to the MAX station if we didn't feel up to going into town or the rain was too heavy to walk the streets of downtown for dinner.

The only semi-negative experience we had was, for some reason, our room keys needed to be reset every day. After being frustrated the first few days, we just incorporated the walk by the front desk for the 20-second reset into our routine each afternoon. We never figured out if we were doing something or if it was just the sesitivity of the hotel system, but nevertheless, it was only a small inconvenience compared to our overall experience.

I would stay here again and recommed it to travelers like us...people who like to be close enough to the sites and public transportation, but also like to feel like a short-term resident of the city for an affordable price, with high value, in a safe and easily accessible location.

Thanks to all the previous reviews and recommendations. It made for a wonderful stay in Portland!

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Shilo Inn Rose Garden? Share your experiences!