“I'd Look Elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Sterling, Alaska, United States
“I'd Look Elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have to admit we did not actually stay at this hotel. Took a look at the room and checked out. Our visit to Portand was a last minute family emergency so we weren't looking for a vacation spot. We were looking for budget after spending $2,000 to get there. The first impression of the hotel as you drive up is it is a "tweeker" hotel. We walked into the lobby and was hit with a moldy "old" smell. We could not check in early (at 3:00 pm) because they were still cleaning. We came back at 4:15 pm (check-in is listed as 4:00 pm) and still had to wait 10 minutes for them to "clean" the room. While waiting I believe I saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot! We finally got our room and walked down the hall that had tattered, old carpets and still that moldy smell. We opened the door to our room and was hit with a new smell--burnt marijuana. The bedspread looked lumpy as if someone already laid on it after making the bed. A closer look revealed broken potato chips or crackers lying on the bed. The room was very dark, even with the light on. We opened the window curtains and there was mold growing inside on the window sill. We turned around and told them we would not be staying. Found another hotel within 1/2 mile. It was $20 more a night but my husband and I felt safer and had a much better night's sleep.

Room Tip: Find a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Earlene R,

Thank you for considering the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that you were not pleased with the accommodations and chose not to stay. I appreciate your feedback and will immediately investigate your concerns.

Gary Sorrels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newport, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here because it was near the Rose Garden where my family attended an event, and I was able to get a modest price through a third party site. Friendly and welcoming staff, free parking, continental breakfast and modest price were a plus. It is pet friendly which is good if your traveling with a pet, which we were not. Our room had an odd odor, which was my daughter said smelled of pee, like masked urine. My son's allergies started acting up fairly quickly- either mold or pet dander could be the culprit. I did inquire about a room that may not be frequented by pets, but no second floor rooma were availablw to fit my family. The decor is outdated but the room looked clean, beds were comfortable enough. The carpets on the first floor hall and room seemed old and dirty. This would not be a place I'd choose to stay again, but for the price and convenience it worked for the night.

• Stayed January 2013
Bend, Or and beyond
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

First of all, something is fishy with these reviews. There are a ton of glowing reviews over the years in every foreign language you could ever ask for. Someone needs to look into those posts.....

Second, I travel to Portland almost every week of the year (9 years now)and I am usually at the mercy of Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire and other sites so I've seen the good, bad and ugly in Portland. This place lies somewhere between the bad and ugly.

It's an older, rundown 2-story building with thin walls and floors. The room was pretty small with no view. The carpet was damp and the cover for the sheets felt greasy.

When I checked in the guy at the counter excitedly told me that the room came with free breakfast (worthless) and a 'flat-screen tv', which was not a thin-screened lcd or plasma but an old tube with a flat, not curved screen. It still makes me chuckle.

Overall, I'd avoid this place. The Crowne Plaza across the street blows this place away. You get 2 free drinks upon check-in, the views are awesome and it is much newer with clean sheets and comfy mattresses. I've stayed there for the same price as this place shopping online, incredible.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear bikesales,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your experience failed to meet your expectations.

It is difficult to compete with a property such as the Crowne Plaza and I understand your comments. Regardless, I sincerely hope that you enjoy your Portland experience wherever you choose to stay.

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The first impression wasn't very good. The receptionist was high when we got there, and stood smoking pot outside the hotel later when we left the hotel. The hallway had a weird smell but our room had no odours, which our friend's however had. The cleaning in the rooms wasn't very good either with a lot of things missed. However, we didn't pay very much so I guess you have to accept such things.

Free and working wifi was good, as was the complimentary breakfast with bagels, yoghurt, milk and cereals and juices.

All in all, I wouldn't go back. I'd rather spend a few more bucks to get a higher standard of accomodation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Vinceremo,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet our normally high Shilo standards.

I was deeply concerned about your observations and immediately discussed it with the team. The Executive Housekeeper and the Front Desk Supervisor also extend their apologies.

In regards to the smoking outside that you mention, I believe there is a misunderstanding. After discussing this with the team, I was informed that one staff member rolls his own cigarettes. I believe that this was what you witnessed outside the building.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Northern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Portland trip was rather spontaneous so we feel very lucky to have found great accommodations at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden without a reservation. We walked in on a Sunday night at 4:30pm to a very professional and courteous young man who helped us right away. We got an upstairs room with King bed for about $100. Parking is free! Free parking is not the norm around the convention center or downtown.

The room was clean, tidy, and perfect for our needs. The bed was very comfortable. The A/C worked great. The shower was clean and we easily had hot water at 9am. The place was entirely quiet, no noise at all. The TV wasn't superb because there isn't satellite TV, just basic cable. Whatever. We didn't see the breakfast because there are SO many great breakfast spots in Portland, so I cannot comment on that. I see that a recent reviewer complained about mold and that would have really bothered me too. Clearly it has been taken care of. There was no odd smells at all. The room was spotless and smelled like...nothing.

I am SO glad that we stayed here. We had originally reservations at the EconoLodge just down the street. It was so horrible (and NOT that much cheaper at $80/night) that we just couldn't stay. Talk about smells! Wow. I have also recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza across the street, which is lovely. But it's considerably more expensive (at least >$30/night) plus $15/day for parking. If you need a business center, pool, fitness room, Satellite TV then maybe it's worth it. But not for us!
I recommend Shilo Inn! I am happy to now have a great place to stay in NE Portland!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear MXJumpingBean,

Thank you for being our valued guest at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay. I am ecstatic to read that your experience was positive and that you appreciated the convenient location, free parking and your clean tidy room! We look forward to your next visit to Portland and another opportunity to be of service to you.

Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is very reasonably priced and within about a 10 minute walk to the Oregon Convention Center. The closest nicer restaurant was in the Crowne Plaza directly across the street. There is a 7-Eleven on the next block for miscellaneous. On my walk to the convention center I passed a Wendy's, Denny's, Burgerville (local hamburger place), and a Starbucks. The neighborhood seemed nice enough, but I wouldn't want to have my wife walking to the convention center after dark by herself. The Shilo Inn was clean and nice enough, but I felt like it needed updated. If I had paid over a $100, I would have been disappointed. It's a good make due place to sleep and not a place where you want to hang out and relax in the room.

Room Tip: If you stay on the 2nd floor, you have to cary your luggage (no elevator).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rick P,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing your comments!

Thank you for choosing Shilo Inns and we look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Klamath Falls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Reasonable rate and generally comfortable accommodations not far from downtown and associated attractions. Tiny bathroom required some contortions to enter room and still close the door. Continental breakfast inspired me to go to nearby Wendy's for breakfast for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shilo Inn Rose Garden? Share your experiences!