“Recently renovated small hotel, excellent staff, close to Convention Centre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shilo Inn Rose Garden

You added Shilo Inn Rose Garden to your Saves list
Shilo Inn Rose Garden
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1506 NE 2nd Ave., Portland, OR 97232   |
Ranked #92 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Hobart, Australia
“Recently renovated small hotel, excellent staff, close to Convention Centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

On a recent trip to Portland for a conference at the Oregon Convention Centre, I decided to try out the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. It's a small hotel -- only 44 rooms -- but my room was very recently renovated, with a reasonable sized bathroom, plenty of clothes-hanging space, comfortable working desk and air conditioning.

The hotel is three small blocks walk from the convention centre, which makes it a great choice for conferences. The MAX light rail line offers free public transport from the convention centre into the city centre.

The bed was King-sized, and very comfortable. My room, on the second floor, facing the car park, was also very quiet, which is convenient too.

There's no fitness centre within the hotel, but it seems as though guests are welcome to use those of the Crowne Plaza, which is just across the road.

A simple continental breakfast is available free of charge -- things like bagels, cereal, etc.

I'd be very happy to recommend this hotel for anyone needing an excellent room close to the convention centre.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms will have less ground-level noise. The location is reasonably quiet, so all rooms ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear chrisjrn,

Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing your comments.

I am pleased to pass along your observations to the team and ecstatic to see the word excellent mentioned in regards to the staff. I will thank them personally for a job well done.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Portland.

Gary Sorrels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Northborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Unlike another reviewer's experience when attending the Barbershop Convention from 7/3/12 through 7/8/12, my husband and I were very happy with the accommodations at Shilo Inn. I will admit I was skeptical because of the very reasonable nightly rate ($89 vs. $150 + at other hotels in the area). However, we found a fully renovated small hotel with nice room and a great bed. Room contained a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker as well as a full-sized iron and ironing board. The big plus was the availability of coffee, juice, cereal, bagels etc. in a small breakfast room - all gratis. Jason, the manager, was extremely pleasant and helpful and allowed us to stay in the room past check-out time. The location is also very convenient to the Convention Center and the Rose Garden.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room when we booked on-line and that is what we got. The manager remembered th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Carribeancats,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time.

I was ecstatic to hear your comments and am excited to pass them along to the team. I will personally thank Jason for his customer service.

Thank you for being our valued guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Oregon's Central Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

For our first night away together, I chose this Shilo based on the reasonable price and location in relation to entertainment and restaurants. Thankfully we only booked one night, because we were quite disappointed.

The photos of the site online make it look a lot nicer than it appears in person and the parking lot is pretty small. The room was decent enough, a little small, and the bed was comfortable. Our biggest issue was with the shower since we couldn't get a drop of hot water out of it in the morning. I know the hotel wasn't full when we were there, so there's no way this was due to many showers being turned on at once. When we checked out, the group in front of us also mentioned a lack of hot water in their room.

The one plus about our stay here was that the front desk guy recommended us a great place for dinner that we loved, but that's not enough to make us stay at this location again. We've since tried a few different places in Portland and had much better luck!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear ORduo,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize for the lack of hot water that you experienced. Unfortunately, on those few times when we have large groups showering at once; it can affect the amount of hot water available to some rooms. I truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, I do appreciate your mentioning your experience with the Front Desk Agent. I will be sure to pass along your positive feedback.

Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I attended a convention for the Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS) during the first week in July. My sister initially booked this hotel last year due to the rate and it's convenience to the MAX line, Convention Center, and Rose Garden (where most of the events were held). The BHS had other hotels in their convention block (the Shiloh was not one of their convention block hotels); however, the per night price at those hotels was considerably higher than what the Shiloh was offering at the time we booked it ($89 + tax/fee per night). The room was clean and comfortable. The queen sized bed was comfortable. I did notice some stains on the backside of the comforter but I usually pull those off the bed as I know they are not laundered regularly. The TV worked fine and had a modest selection of channels (ESPN, Weather Channel, most local channels, etc). We had plenty of hot water most of the time. The hotel was pretty full this week, so the one day when the shower was just "lukewarm" we "blamed" it on the volume of people in the hotel. The continental breakfast was "a small continent" with muffins, bagels, a small assortment of cereals, oranges, coffee, tea, juice. It would have been nice to have had a larger selection of fruit (add bananas, apples, etc) as well as instant oatmeal and regular bread. As for the room, the air conditioner thermostat was tough to adjust in order to keep the humidity in the room down. The room was either too warm or too cold, although having it cool was nice as it was very warm during the week. The bathroom in the room is pretty small, but wasn't overly cramped. We had an issue with our magnetic keys not working and the front desk person was quick to reset our keys (with proper identification). The hotel is a five minute walk to the max line and the convention center and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. My brother-in-law's mom also stayed here and she had a king bed room which she said was OK. Her issue was the TV remote did not work. Housekeeping at this hotel was friendly and did a good job at cleaning. I can't say "great job" because I did spot a few bits of mildew on the grout around the shower. I'm guessing the room had not had one of those "thorough" cleansing in a while. I've stayed at most of the other hotels in the area (Red Lion, Inn at Convention Center, Crown Plaza, Motel 6) and this one is much better for the price. If I have to stay in Portland again, near the Rose Garden, I would certainly check out this property.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side do not get the hot afternoon sun; rooms upstairs would have less "peopl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear dialupdan,

Thank you for being our guest at the Shilo inn Rose Garden, and taking time to post your comments. I sincerely appreciate hearing about your experience.

The items of concern that you mention have already been addressed. The other items that you mention have been communicated to the Rose Garden team.

Again, thank you for being our valued guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Bed was very comfy. Had fridge n microwave. Parking was plenty and included in the per night room charge. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I am pleased that we met your expectations!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I checked in for two nights before continuing my trip on to Hawaii. I requested through Priceline a room with two beds. What I got was a room with one queen bed. I called the front desk, and they claimed they "double checked" my requirements from Priceline, and that I did not request a room with 2 beds, but as a "courtesy" they "upgraded" me to a room with two beds. Bathroom was very small, as mentioned in previous reviews, and also had trouble closing the door when sitting on the toilet. I may be strange, but I like the door closed when I'm using the bathroom. First night, I went to take a shower and was rewarded with no hot water. Since it was 1AM when I decided to shower, I didn't inform the front desk because I knew maintenance was not available until morning.

I did inform the front desk the next morning, and I was told that a call would be placed to maintenance. I was out of the room all day, but when I returned and asked if the shower was fixed and I was told that maintenance "didn't show up." So, 2 nights with no hot water. When I asked if I could be moved to another room with hot water, I was told no, and that I could "use the shower down in the sauna" if I wanted to take a shower. I only accepted this offer because I really wanted to clean up and because I hadn't had a shower for 2 days.

Breakfast- edible, but not great.
Customer service- Anthony did his best with what he had, and I'm sure he was tired of hearing me complaining about no hot water.

Don't let them fool you-- this place is not close to the MAX at all. You have to walk about half a mile to get there, and had I known that, I would have never stayed here.

I did learn my lesson though: Spend the extra money and stay at the Red Lion or the Crowne Plaza across the street. This place is terrible!

Room Tip: DON'T stay here! You will be sorry!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Mrs. Steis,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that there was a problem with your hot water.

I have thoroughly researched your original reservation made through Priceline. Front Desk Agent Anthony also "double checked" and as a "courtesy" did indeed "upgrade" you to a room with two queen beds. I understand that you were under the impression that this was a Shilo Inns oversight; however your Priceline reservation was indeed made for a single queen. In circumstances such as yours, we understand that details may be overlooked by third party reservation services and we do our absolute best to satisfy the needs of our guests. I am pleased that Anthony was able to accommodate you in the room type you expected, including your request for first floor.

Most guests find our location near the MAX station convenient and the over $30 savings in cab fare from the airport worth the short walk. I apologize that you disagree.

Again, thank you for your comments and I apologize.

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband & I were here the first week in May to celebrate our anniversary. We were very disappointed in our accomodation. The room promised a "mini suite". It was no suite! There was a small desk, one hard chair and the bed. The room was smaller than the room we stayed in on route to Portland and cost substantially more. The first room, the remote on the TV didn't work. The second room reeked of cigarettes. We finally managed to get into a third room. It was advertised with "flat screen" tv - not! Big old TV from before the dark ages. The blankets on the bed were ripped and had holes in them There wasn't enough towels. Newspapers were supposed to be available, but staff, who were not helpful at all and had a bad attitude, said they had decided to discontinue those. There was no paper or pens in the room, the bathroom was extremely small, and you couldn't close the door if you were sitting on the toilet. The shower handle came off in our hands and it was very difficult to modify the water heat. The breakfast that was included was old dry bagels, the coffee was undrinkable. Will we ever stay here again - NOT EVER!

Room Tip: Choose another motel! I'd suggest a Quality Inn - Those were much nicer for less money and the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Janet V,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that you felt the staff was not helpful and had a bad attitude. This is definitely not the impression that we wish to impart upon our guests.

Your feedback is important and will be taken seriously. Again, I regret that you did not enjoy your stay and appreciate hearing your concerns. If you would like to speak with me personally about your experience, please contact the Inn and they will provide you my contact information.

Gary Sorrels

Been to Shilo Inn Rose Garden? Share your experiences!