“No Hot Water :(” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Oregon's Central Coast
“No Hot Water :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

For our first night away together, I chose this Shilo based on the reasonable price and location in relation to entertainment and restaurants. Thankfully we only booked one night, because we were quite disappointed.

The photos of the site online make it look a lot nicer than it appears in person and the parking lot is pretty small. The room was decent enough, a little small, and the bed was comfortable. Our biggest issue was with the shower since we couldn't get a drop of hot water out of it in the morning. I know the hotel wasn't full when we were there, so there's no way this was due to many showers being turned on at once. When we checked out, the group in front of us also mentioned a lack of hot water in their room.

The one plus about our stay here was that the front desk guy recommended us a great place for dinner that we loved, but that's not enough to make us stay at this location again. We've since tried a few different places in Portland and had much better luck!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear ORduo,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize for the lack of hot water that you experienced. Unfortunately, on those few times when we have large groups showering at once; it can affect the amount of hot water available to some rooms. I truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, I do appreciate your mentioning your experience with the Front Desk Agent. I will be sure to pass along your positive feedback.

Gary Sorrels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I attended a convention for the Barbershop Harmony Society (BHS) during the first week in July. My sister initially booked this hotel last year due to the rate and it's convenience to the MAX line, Convention Center, and Rose Garden (where most of the events were held). The BHS had other hotels in their convention block (the Shiloh was not one of their convention block hotels); however, the per night price at those hotels was considerably higher than what the Shiloh was offering at the time we booked it ($89 + tax/fee per night). The room was clean and comfortable. The queen sized bed was comfortable. I did notice some stains on the backside of the comforter but I usually pull those off the bed as I know they are not laundered regularly. The TV worked fine and had a modest selection of channels (ESPN, Weather Channel, most local channels, etc). We had plenty of hot water most of the time. The hotel was pretty full this week, so the one day when the shower was just "lukewarm" we "blamed" it on the volume of people in the hotel. The continental breakfast was "a small continent" with muffins, bagels, a small assortment of cereals, oranges, coffee, tea, juice. It would have been nice to have had a larger selection of fruit (add bananas, apples, etc) as well as instant oatmeal and regular bread. As for the room, the air conditioner thermostat was tough to adjust in order to keep the humidity in the room down. The room was either too warm or too cold, although having it cool was nice as it was very warm during the week. The bathroom in the room is pretty small, but wasn't overly cramped. We had an issue with our magnetic keys not working and the front desk person was quick to reset our keys (with proper identification). The hotel is a five minute walk to the max line and the convention center and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. My brother-in-law's mom also stayed here and she had a king bed room which she said was OK. Her issue was the TV remote did not work. Housekeeping at this hotel was friendly and did a good job at cleaning. I can't say "great job" because I did spot a few bits of mildew on the grout around the shower. I'm guessing the room had not had one of those "thorough" cleansing in a while. I've stayed at most of the other hotels in the area (Red Lion, Inn at Convention Center, Crown Plaza, Motel 6) and this one is much better for the price. If I have to stay in Portland again, near the Rose Garden, I would certainly check out this property.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side do not get the hot afternoon sun; rooms upstairs would have less "peopl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear dialupdan,

Thank you for being our guest at the Shilo inn Rose Garden, and taking time to post your comments. I sincerely appreciate hearing about your experience.

The items of concern that you mention have already been addressed. The other items that you mention have been communicated to the Rose Garden team.

Again, thank you for being our valued guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Bed was very comfy. Had fridge n microwave. Parking was plenty and included in the per night room charge. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I am pleased that we met your expectations!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I checked in for two nights before continuing my trip on to Hawaii. I requested through Priceline a room with two beds. What I got was a room with one queen bed. I called the front desk, and they claimed they "double checked" my requirements from Priceline, and that I did not request a room with 2 beds, but as a "courtesy" they "upgraded" me to a room with two beds. Bathroom was very small, as mentioned in previous reviews, and also had trouble closing the door when sitting on the toilet. I may be strange, but I like the door closed when I'm using the bathroom. First night, I went to take a shower and was rewarded with no hot water. Since it was 1AM when I decided to shower, I didn't inform the front desk because I knew maintenance was not available until morning.

I did inform the front desk the next morning, and I was told that a call would be placed to maintenance. I was out of the room all day, but when I returned and asked if the shower was fixed and I was told that maintenance "didn't show up." So, 2 nights with no hot water. When I asked if I could be moved to another room with hot water, I was told no, and that I could "use the shower down in the sauna" if I wanted to take a shower. I only accepted this offer because I really wanted to clean up and because I hadn't had a shower for 2 days.

Breakfast- edible, but not great.
Customer service- Anthony did his best with what he had, and I'm sure he was tired of hearing me complaining about no hot water.

Don't let them fool you-- this place is not close to the MAX at all. You have to walk about half a mile to get there, and had I known that, I would have never stayed here.

I did learn my lesson though: Spend the extra money and stay at the Red Lion or the Crowne Plaza across the street. This place is terrible!

Room Tip: DON'T stay here! You will be sorry!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Mrs. Steis,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that there was a problem with your hot water.

I have thoroughly researched your original reservation made through Priceline. Front Desk Agent Anthony also "double checked" and as a "courtesy" did indeed "upgrade" you to a room with two queen beds. I understand that you were under the impression that this was a Shilo Inns oversight; however your Priceline reservation was indeed made for a single queen. In circumstances such as yours, we understand that details may be overlooked by third party reservation services and we do our absolute best to satisfy the needs of our guests. I am pleased that Anthony was able to accommodate you in the room type you expected, including your request for first floor.

Most guests find our location near the MAX station convenient and the over $30 savings in cab fare from the airport worth the short walk. I apologize that you disagree.

Again, thank you for your comments and I apologize.

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband & I were here the first week in May to celebrate our anniversary. We were very disappointed in our accomodation. The room promised a "mini suite". It was no suite! There was a small desk, one hard chair and the bed. The room was smaller than the room we stayed in on route to Portland and cost substantially more. The first room, the remote on the TV didn't work. The second room reeked of cigarettes. We finally managed to get into a third room. It was advertised with "flat screen" tv - not! Big old TV from before the dark ages. The blankets on the bed were ripped and had holes in them There wasn't enough towels. Newspapers were supposed to be available, but staff, who were not helpful at all and had a bad attitude, said they had decided to discontinue those. There was no paper or pens in the room, the bathroom was extremely small, and you couldn't close the door if you were sitting on the toilet. The shower handle came off in our hands and it was very difficult to modify the water heat. The breakfast that was included was old dry bagels, the coffee was undrinkable. Will we ever stay here again - NOT EVER!

Room Tip: Choose another motel! I'd suggest a Quality Inn - Those were much nicer for less money and the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Janet V,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that you felt the staff was not helpful and had a bad attitude. This is definitely not the impression that we wish to impart upon our guests.

Your feedback is important and will be taken seriously. Again, I regret that you did not enjoy your stay and appreciate hearing your concerns. If you would like to speak with me personally about your experience, please contact the Inn and they will provide you my contact information.

Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We just finished a five night stay at this hotel. The location was close to things we were going to be doing in Portland, I thought that we would save a little on the lodging since we would be busy in Portland and the coast. Big mistake, I should have just payed a little more to stay somewhere quiet and improved. First of all the rooms were reasonably clean, the maids did work hard its not their fault. The room "suite" consisted of an uncomfortable chair with ottoman and a desk with an uncomfortable chair. King bed and a old school TV with 1994 Nintendo 64 games and controller.which charged extra also. Showtime and lousy reception were your only TV options. TV was poor quality as well. Clock radio, nightstands, sink was out of the bathroom. Bathroom was very tiny as others have stated which was fine to us, that part was clean. The beds were only average. The "breakfast" was below average but I was not expecting much, no fruit offered at all except for oranges one day. Coffee and such were drinkable but thats about it. Thankfully I found cereals we liked oh well. Also breakfast room is very small.
Now the nightmare extreme noise issues! Unacceptable! We checked in on a Monday so the first 3 nights were decent but still heard doors slam at times the short time we were there at night. The hotel was only half full at the beginning of the week, either people don't care about slamming doors or the design of the doors are poor maybe heavy sounding, The first few days were tolerable, all rooms are in an indoor hallway corridor. We also slept with the a/c unit AND TV on the whole time, still not enough to drown out the excessive noise. The hotel is more quiet in the day no joke. The tip of this terrible place was Friday night.We came back around 10 pm after the last day of sightseeing, and had a flight out the next day. From about 1100 pm until 6 am it was the loudest experience at a hotel I have ever had. It sounded like a heard of elephants walking around, or a bowling alley. Talking, yelling, in the hallways, slamming doors so hard it shook the whole floor, every 5 mins a door would slam. Knocking , banging on doors constantly. In and out, In and out of rooms over and over. The staff was nice, but they shrugged it off when I complained about the noise the next day. I feel cheated and ripped off, this is completely unacceptable to have to put up with this! If I still had the rental car that night I would have slept in it. Is it unreasonable to want to sleep in a hotel at night? No its not!! I have stayed in no name roach coaches that were more peaceful than this. I am just fully disgusted. I would not stay here if you payed me.. This experience has taught me even more, Only stay at the top rated properties. This one is only 76 out of 200. Not good enough. If you plan on sleeping at all this is not the way to go at all.

Room Tip: 2nd floor. I thought that would be better.Wrong! Stay as close to the front desk as possible, that w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear J S,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize for the noise issues that you experienced. I understand your frustration and agree that a restful sleep is paramount when staying in unfamiliar surroundings away from home.

The location of the Rose Garden property is popular to those attending events at the Rose Garden and Convention Center. The weekend concert attracted some individuals that did not recognize they were inconveniencing others by their lack of consideration. I apologize that you experienced this at my hotel.

I would sincerely appreciate an opportunity to offer a resolution for your experience. If you welcome this gesture, please contact the property and they will provide you with my contact information.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We had a great stay here. The room was VERY clean and it was extremely convenient for our visit to family. I have never had such comfy pillows in a hotel at ANY price point. It can't be beat for the price! Only downer was the carpeting, which had obviously been cleaned but had some residual staining.
We were certainly able to have something to eat before heading out, although the breakfasts were a bit heavy on the bread and starches and light on the healthy stuff.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to save some cash for all the fun things to do in Portland!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear reb1101,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding room cleanliness to the Executive Housekeeper. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Gary Sorrels

Been to Shilo Inn Rose Garden? Share your experiences!