“Lousy!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lousy!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I checked in for two nights before continuing my trip on to Hawaii. I requested through Priceline a room with two beds. What I got was a room with one queen bed. I called the front desk, and they claimed they "double checked" my requirements from Priceline, and that I did not request a room with 2 beds, but as a "courtesy" they "upgraded" me to a room with two beds. Bathroom was very small, as mentioned in previous reviews, and also had trouble closing the door when sitting on the toilet. I may be strange, but I like the door closed when I'm using the bathroom. First night, I went to take a shower and was rewarded with no hot water. Since it was 1AM when I decided to shower, I didn't inform the front desk because I knew maintenance was not available until morning.

I did inform the front desk the next morning, and I was told that a call would be placed to maintenance. I was out of the room all day, but when I returned and asked if the shower was fixed and I was told that maintenance "didn't show up." So, 2 nights with no hot water. When I asked if I could be moved to another room with hot water, I was told no, and that I could "use the shower down in the sauna" if I wanted to take a shower. I only accepted this offer because I really wanted to clean up and because I hadn't had a shower for 2 days.

Breakfast- edible, but not great.
Customer service- Anthony did his best with what he had, and I'm sure he was tired of hearing me complaining about no hot water.

Don't let them fool you-- this place is not close to the MAX at all. You have to walk about half a mile to get there, and had I known that, I would have never stayed here.

I did learn my lesson though: Spend the extra money and stay at the Red Lion or the Crowne Plaza across the street. This place is terrible!

Room Tip: DON'T stay here! You will be sorry!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Mrs. Steis,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that there was a problem with your hot water.

I have thoroughly researched your original reservation made through Priceline. Front Desk Agent Anthony also "double checked" and as a "courtesy" did indeed "upgrade" you to a room with two queen beds. I understand that you were under the impression that this was a Shilo Inns oversight; however your Priceline reservation was indeed made for a single queen. In circumstances such as yours, we understand that details may be overlooked by third party reservation services and we do our absolute best to satisfy the needs of our guests. I am pleased that Anthony was able to accommodate you in the room type you expected, including your request for first floor.

Most guests find our location near the MAX station convenient and the over $30 savings in cab fare from the airport worth the short walk. I apologize that you disagree.

Again, thank you for your comments and I apologize.

Gary Sorrels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband & I were here the first week in May to celebrate our anniversary. We were very disappointed in our accomodation. The room promised a "mini suite". It was no suite! There was a small desk, one hard chair and the bed. The room was smaller than the room we stayed in on route to Portland and cost substantially more. The first room, the remote on the TV didn't work. The second room reeked of cigarettes. We finally managed to get into a third room. It was advertised with "flat screen" tv - not! Big old TV from before the dark ages. The blankets on the bed were ripped and had holes in them There wasn't enough towels. Newspapers were supposed to be available, but staff, who were not helpful at all and had a bad attitude, said they had decided to discontinue those. There was no paper or pens in the room, the bathroom was extremely small, and you couldn't close the door if you were sitting on the toilet. The shower handle came off in our hands and it was very difficult to modify the water heat. The breakfast that was included was old dry bagels, the coffee was undrinkable. Will we ever stay here again - NOT EVER!

Room Tip: Choose another motel! I'd suggest a Quality Inn - Those were much nicer for less money and the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Janet V,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that you felt the staff was not helpful and had a bad attitude. This is definitely not the impression that we wish to impart upon our guests.

Your feedback is important and will be taken seriously. Again, I regret that you did not enjoy your stay and appreciate hearing your concerns. If you would like to speak with me personally about your experience, please contact the Inn and they will provide you my contact information.

Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We just finished a five night stay at this hotel. The location was close to things we were going to be doing in Portland, I thought that we would save a little on the lodging since we would be busy in Portland and the coast. Big mistake, I should have just payed a little more to stay somewhere quiet and improved. First of all the rooms were reasonably clean, the maids did work hard its not their fault. The room "suite" consisted of an uncomfortable chair with ottoman and a desk with an uncomfortable chair. King bed and a old school TV with 1994 Nintendo 64 games and controller.which charged extra also. Showtime and lousy reception were your only TV options. TV was poor quality as well. Clock radio, nightstands, sink was out of the bathroom. Bathroom was very tiny as others have stated which was fine to us, that part was clean. The beds were only average. The "breakfast" was below average but I was not expecting much, no fruit offered at all except for oranges one day. Coffee and such were drinkable but thats about it. Thankfully I found cereals we liked oh well. Also breakfast room is very small.
Now the nightmare extreme noise issues! Unacceptable! We checked in on a Monday so the first 3 nights were decent but still heard doors slam at times the short time we were there at night. The hotel was only half full at the beginning of the week, either people don't care about slamming doors or the design of the doors are poor maybe heavy sounding, The first few days were tolerable, all rooms are in an indoor hallway corridor. We also slept with the a/c unit AND TV on the whole time, still not enough to drown out the excessive noise. The hotel is more quiet in the day no joke. The tip of this terrible place was Friday night.We came back around 10 pm after the last day of sightseeing, and had a flight out the next day. From about 1100 pm until 6 am it was the loudest experience at a hotel I have ever had. It sounded like a heard of elephants walking around, or a bowling alley. Talking, yelling, in the hallways, slamming doors so hard it shook the whole floor, every 5 mins a door would slam. Knocking , banging on doors constantly. In and out, In and out of rooms over and over. The staff was nice, but they shrugged it off when I complained about the noise the next day. I feel cheated and ripped off, this is completely unacceptable to have to put up with this! If I still had the rental car that night I would have slept in it. Is it unreasonable to want to sleep in a hotel at night? No its not!! I have stayed in no name roach coaches that were more peaceful than this. I am just fully disgusted. I would not stay here if you payed me.. This experience has taught me even more, Only stay at the top rated properties. This one is only 76 out of 200. Not good enough. If you plan on sleeping at all this is not the way to go at all.

Room Tip: 2nd floor. I thought that would be better.Wrong! Stay as close to the front desk as possible, that w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear J S,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely apologize for the noise issues that you experienced. I understand your frustration and agree that a restful sleep is paramount when staying in unfamiliar surroundings away from home.

The location of the Rose Garden property is popular to those attending events at the Rose Garden and Convention Center. The weekend concert attracted some individuals that did not recognize they were inconveniencing others by their lack of consideration. I apologize that you experienced this at my hotel.

I would sincerely appreciate an opportunity to offer a resolution for your experience. If you welcome this gesture, please contact the property and they will provide you with my contact information.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We had a great stay here. The room was VERY clean and it was extremely convenient for our visit to family. I have never had such comfy pillows in a hotel at ANY price point. It can't be beat for the price! Only downer was the carpeting, which had obviously been cleaned but had some residual staining.
We were certainly able to have something to eat before heading out, although the breakfasts were a bit heavy on the bread and starches and light on the healthy stuff.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to save some cash for all the fun things to do in Portland!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear reb1101,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding room cleanliness to the Executive Housekeeper. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Chesterfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

The location was convenient to the arena, the room was clean, and the desk folks were very courteous and helpful; but the overall stay was not what we expected. The maintenance of the place was in poor condition. The smoke detector was hanging from the wall in our room, the bathtub faucet couldn't be shut off easily, and the hairdryer, while it did finally function, was cracked severely and hard to keep on. The internet connection was sporatic. Everywhere else we have stayed, if needed, we could get a late departure due to airline connections being changed but here we had to leave by 1:00 p.m. which was only an hour later than normal checkout and not all hotel rooms were booked for that day. The " free breakfast" was just plain awful! Besides having only bad carbs available, the one day out of 4 that fruit was offered, several oranges had molded and all the apples were quite soft and wrinkled. There was only one choice of juice each day.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Peach48,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Rose Garden property. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations or those of management.

Although your room number wasn’t provided, we have checked all rooms at the property. We did locate a smoke detector that came loose in room 203 and believe that was the unsatisfactory room in question. It has been placed on out of order status until it is thoroughly inspected and all deficiencies corrected.

I sincerely apologize and hope that you will contact me personally so that I may speak with you personally about a resolution. I can be reached by email at gary.sorrels@shiloinns.com or direct at 503-889-1148.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel. Room was very clean. Staff was courteous and helpful. Location was convenient to downtown Portland. Price was attractive. I would highly recommend this hotel. I don't know what the reviews on the negative side are thinking.

• Stayed July 2011
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear mpenn73,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I appreciate hearing from you and look forward to personally passing along your positive comments to the staff. Thank you for being our guest!

Mesa, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

It was everything we wanted. The location is just perfect. It is a smaller hotel, which has a special touch. Everything was like brand new. The bathroom and dressing area were so nice. Granite counter tops. First class ammenities. The towels were nice and thick. We had a king sized bed which was so so comfortable, lots of pillows. Had a great TV. Nice desk for me to work on. Nice big chair and ottoman. Brand new looking AC/Heater. Refrigerator and Microwave. The staff bent over backwards to please us. Can't wait to stay there again on our next trip to Portland. Can't imagine anyone complaining about this hotel. Our kids live in Oregon, one in Portland and one in Seaside. We have been looking for "just the right place" to stay in Portland and have finally found our favorite. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 104. It was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear mcnemar,

Thank you for being our guest, and recognizing the special touches that are unique to our Rose Garden location. I am excited to pass along your comments to the staff! We look forward to your future return and another opportunity to be of service.

Kindest Regards,

Gary Sorrels

Been to Shilo Inn Rose Garden? Share your experiences!