“Good movie set...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Portland Value Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Portland Value Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Portland Value Inn & Suites
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10450 SW Barbur Blvd., Portland, OR 97219 (Formerly South West Portland Travelodge)   |
Ranked #108 of 132 hotels in Portland
Portland
“Good movie set...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Hey filmmakers! We used Portland Value Inn for our location to shoot a short drama one weekend. It was inexpensive and accommodating for our needs. You might picture a parallel universe version of Melrose Place.
Don't be intimidated by the appearance of the giant bald manager behind the desk, he's nice as pie! He swapped out furniture for us and was really helpful as our point of contact.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pacific Northwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I was in need a place to stay while they tented the condo complex where I was renting. The place is huge and fumigating would take two weeks. I looked for a hotel/motel with weekly rates and decided against comfort inn and the like as the rates were high and I was on a budget assigned by the condo board for relocation during the tenting. Well, long story short, I found this place. As of 08/08, the rates where $51 a night or $230.00 per 5 day 'week' including tax.

At $230, I feel they were overcharging by $229.98 a week. I'd give two cents for the rooms. They had taken a reservation from me for a ground floor non-smoking room. They did not honor the reservations and I found while I was there that they took but completely ignored reservations.

Old mismatched furniture, carpets with dirt permanently ground in. The stench of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. Roaches. The stove (units include a kitchenette) was something that looked like it had been salvage from a junk yard after 2-3 years of being exposed to the elements. Several wall outlets didn't work. All the light bulbs where very dim compact florescent bulbs of the lowest wattage and gave the room the appearance of a cave. The dim lighting was perhaps a good thing, considering how nasty the place was. Complaining about the non-working items in the room, or quality of the room got nothing but nastiness from the staff. Talking to the owner in San Francisco got even ruder treatment.

The place does feature an ice machine that actually works and a pool. A Chinese restaurant/bar was next door with food till 2am and a $5 lunch combo that was great. While they did have working high speed Wifi internet (WEP encrypted) and cable, the cable included no pay channels, not even the mainstay of most motels of HBO. The wireless suffered from a lack of sufficient repeaters, so the signal would frequently fade. They staff suggested using my laptop 'outside' of my room. Squatting on the sidewalk, I presume.

Give it a pass unless you have no choice.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We came into town after a cross country trip and were really trying to save money since we'd been stranded in Colorado for 4 extra days. The front desk was nice, but that is about all I can say for the place. Oh, they also allowed pets, which was a necessity. The place was a dump though and had we not been in dire need on short notice we'd never stay there. Shady area, shady neighbors (they rent long term rooms), and just an all around creepy feel to it. I would not leave my wife alone on the property. Bathroom had spackle on the ceiling that had never been sanded down or even repainted, holes in the carpet, cigarette smoke smell, cigarette holes in the sheets, dirty carpets, horrible exterior, trash outside the rooms. We will never stay here again.

• Liked — Late checkout, pets allowed
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Central Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

This place was horrible. When we arrived at 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday they said they didn’t have any rooms available because they were cleaning the carpets in all of the rooms. Who cleans carpets in a motel on a Saturday? Anyway, we appreciated that they did because they still smelled pretty bad. We checked in with the front desk who was helpful and then saw our room. Two people, two beds just under $70 (?not exactly cheap?). There was a bullet hole in the back bedroom window and what looks to be another in the wall. The bottom units appear to be occupied by “long term” tenants. The bedding smelled and there are numerous cigarette burns throughout. We were aiming for a very cheap stay but we will never go back. The safety latch lock on the door was broken off leaving only the key card lock and the phone was broken. We got in late and were watching TV, not that loud, but late, around 1:45AM when we got a knock at the door from a very intimidating, extended stay, resident who was very upset. We were sure he was going to kick down the door if I didn’t open it. This whole stay was pretty scary for a couple of dudes from a small town. We slept in our sleeping bags and woke up early. Our tub was already full with about one and a half feet of sewage, I assume, backed up from the adjacent room. We just got out of there. I hope this was helpful!

• Liked — Nothing, maybe the location.
  • Disliked — It's hard to pick what was the worst?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

When I checked in and carried my stuff to my room that I paid for 2 nights to stay at, I was stunned to say the least. The room smelled awful, there was still food in the mini refrigerator. The toilet did not have a lid, there were bugs coming out of the shower/bathrub drain. On the inside of the shower curtain there was plents of mold growing there. The bed looked like it had been run over, the cover on the bed had holes in it. There was a table under a shelf that was broken. The towel rack in the bathroom was broken off. The sink had what looked like animal droppings in it. The floor had some kind of dark spot on it, not quite sure what that was. I took pictures of every thing. Loaded my stuff back in the vehicle and went to the front desk to get a refund. The man said it had been more than 15 minutes since I checked in and only one day could be refunded. When I called back today, a gentleman said he talked to the general manager and said that no, my money could not be refunded. I looked at their website which is [-] and believe me the pictures shown of the rooms and the outside sure aren't teken recently and the room they took the picture of, I wonder where that was taken from because it was nothing like what I saw and HAVE pictures of

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — room had foul odor, mold and bugs. Fridge had old food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

We expected a basic motel for the price but it was much much worse! Do NOT trust the photos on the website! Our room had dirty beds, moldy shower, disgusting linens and a mini fridge that smelled as if something died in it. The receptionist was extremely rude and accusatory when we commented on the loud music from downstairs at 7:30 am. Apparently the motel staff inhabit the bottom floor suites. (Is this legal?)

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

We booked a suite over the phone. When we got there, the receptionist said that our suite was gone. We had to move to a different one. When we checked the other suite, we got so scared. We felt that there was a ghost in it. We suddenly had goosebumps. There was a dampy, yucky smell that it was impossible to breathe. We suddenly came out of the suite because we needed oxygen to breathe. We told the receptionist that we couldn't stay, and he should cancel our credit card reservation. He said he would do it. We asked for a confirmation receipt for cancellation, he said everything would be fine. After a week, I noticed that he charged me for one night on my credit card. I called him and he said that I stayed for a night, but I didn't at all. He was a big liar!!! From that horrible incident, we will never stay in ANY Travelodge ever!!!!

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Portland Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!