“Perfectly satisfying” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco
“Perfectly satisfying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have recently decided to stay only in Kimpton Hotels when on business, and am pleased with my decision. There is generally a consistency to the hotels that one can count on. The rooms are comfortable, and I enjoy the whacky color schemes. In Portland, because I am a member of the loyalty club, I was upgraded to a junior suite, which was great since I was able to use the desk for some work. The fitness facility is 24 hour, and perfectly adequate. I used both the bike and the elliptical trainer, as well as some weights etc. There were headsets and water provided.

Only complaints: Not sure why there is a $5.00 charge for water in the room. Just go to the gym and get a bottle. Also, my Verizon wireless card did not work well, which means it's a Portland problem, I think.

I didn't eat in the restaurant on this trip, but my colleagues seemed to enjoy their breakfast. The hotel is well located so I got oatmeal at Starbucks, and there is also a Peets nearby.

I admit I worry about the pet friendliness, since I am not a pet owner, but I didn't hear any barking animals.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

My friends and I had a great stay at the Hotel Monaco. We got a great rate on Priceline for 3 rooms and after staying there we would be happy to the pay rack rate the next time we visit Portland. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and seemed genuinely to enjoy their job - which is a rarity. Allison, the concierge, helped us track down tickets to a sold out Traiblazers game and we enjoyed talking to Tim, "da Hawaiian."
Hotel Monaco is a few short blocks away from the Max, it's steps away from shopping and food, and it was a convenient and comfortable home base for our long weekend in Portland. We especially enjoyed the nightly wine and beer reception in the lobby. It was a great way to start our evenings!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I spent four nights at the Monaco. I am a big fan of the Kimpton chain, though the decor can sometimes be more "busy" than handsome. Since it is the wet, "down" season in Portland, the stay was an incredible value given the rate paid for the upgrade to a king suite. The staff could not have been better--from the check-in at the front desk, superb housekeeping, the doormen (special shout-out for Cullen)--really, everyone I encountered---and that is a rarity. The accommodations were were quite comfortable with all the features I needed. (OK, a safe large enough for a laptop would have been better, as well as a flat screen larger than 32"--but that sounds greedy!) The social hour in the lobby (live, soft music and local beer and wine) looked grand though I was not able to really participate. This sounds a bit gushy though I am not prone to hyperbole. All in all, though, the hotel did a great job and I should acknowledge their excellence.

irn00430
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I travel all over the world. I come to Portland often lately and my company booked this hotel for me last week. Walking into the front door, I thought 'wow, nice place!' I got to the front desk to check in and the woman behind the counter was neither overly friendly nor was she rude, she just didnt really seem to care either way. She was polite but cold and her smile was not genuine but was in place. It was ok service. Room service was a joke, however. I had to wait forever for a meal that came cold and tasteless! The hotel is well appointed, with bright decor and quiet rooms. Be aware that that there will be barking, yapping dogs in the lobby at happy hour, so you can forget having a relaxing time. The Hotel Monaco was a fine hotel, with average service and a great location. If I had to pick a hotel in Portland to stay in, it would not be this one though. There are many nice hotels in Portland that have far superior service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RKunzer, Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
I would like to apologize for the so-so service you received during your recent stay with us. At the Hotel Monaco Portland we take great pride in the service we provide to all of our guest and I am so very sorry you did not experience the service we are known for. Like all TripAdvisor reviews, I will be sure to share your comments with our staff at our next meeting. I will use your remarks as a reminder on how each and every staff member can influence a guest stay. Thanks so much for your time with your review of our hotel and we look forward to being your host again.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Asst. GM
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Loved the Monaco. Every night at 5:00, there's a wine reception in the lobby. Very congenial crowd. The hotel provides easels, canvases, and paints. We painted every night.
Our room the first night was small, with one bed. We asked for a different one, and our next two nights were in a very large suite. Hotel is very pet friendly: no charge for your pet to stay there. The only downside was the restaurant: overpriced and nothing special.

Avoid the $31/day valet parking. We left our car at the Avis lot, a block away, and paid $32 for three days.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Great hotel! Great location! Great service! Great staff!

I had pricelined this hotel so got it cheaper than regular rates. Turns out that same night the 76'ers basketball team was staying in the same hotel so I guess if they're here, then it must be good.

Upon check-in, I was offered free upgrade to 500+ sq. foot room. No points because of PL but was offered a welcome $10 card for the room's minibar. Comp. wine service between 5-6pm but did not attend.

The room was generally quiet except for the heater which clanked ever so often but it didn't keep us up. The room was nicely furnished with a sliding door separating the sitting area and actual bedroom. It was clean, well-designed and nothing to really complain about. Free wifi if you sign-up for their free loyalty program.

The valet parking is quiet expensive ($33/night) but we found a SmartPark near-by that only cost us $10 for overnight + 8:30am leave. It was only a block south and a block east of the hotel - 2 minute walk.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

This was our first time staying at a Kimpton hotel, but we know they're dog friendly so we wanted to check them out with future dog trips in mind. We couldn't believe how gorgeous the hotel was inside - the lobby was funky and bright, but comfortable and inviting (someone was pretty much always in there enjoying the ambiance, having a cup of coffee, or playing the Wii). We paid for the basic room, but apparently they upgraded us to a suite (signing up for their Kimpton membership apparently has benefits)- it was huge! The bed was comfy, the windows actually opened, and the Aveda soaps were wonderful. We loved the animal print robes (although we didn't use them), and all the extras they include really made me a fan. The location was perfect for exploring downtown - and we were surrounded by amazing restaurants and the Saturday Market was a about a 6 block walk away. We loved the doggie check in board with the names of the dogs currently staying there, and we picked up a brochure for their dog spa services (even pet-sitting) - they definitely think of eveyrhting. We didn't partake of the happy hour in the lobby - but it was a full house and seemed like a lot of fun.

We parked a block away at a public lot, and since it was the weekend we were able to get a really cheap rate. We only rented a car since we went to Multnomah Falls - if you're just staying in downtown they have great public transportation and a car is not needed.

Overall this was one of my favorite hotels and we would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!