“Loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Omaha
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

This is a fantastic place! The hotel is very nice and the decor is very interesting and fun. The staff was very accomodating and personal. We had a great three nights there and would definately stay there again if in the area.

We booked directly through the hotel's website - did a prepaid room which was a deal at $149 (or so) for a king suite. The suite was great and spacious. The bed was comfortable and my husband and I were both pleased with it, even though I like cozy plush beds and he likes firm beds.

We had 2 tvs in our room and plenty of desk space, chairs and a sofa. My only complaint would be that the lighting was minimal. I believe and earlier comment noted this same point. There is a desk lamp and floor lamp, but they never created enough light in the living area of the suite. If I wanted to sit down and read or work, I would have had a tough time. As it was, it was tough to do my makeup in the mirror, so I had to wait for the bathroom to be free to use that mirror. Not a big deal. I will say that having the big full length mirror was nice.

Parking works great for a busy downtown spot. It is $29 a day, but that seemed fair enough for unlimited valet in and outs. You could probably part at the Smart Park a couple of blocks away if you don't care about the little walk or the in and out issue. I didn't mind paying the parking because it was so convenient to have them pull up my car in no time at all. The valets were very nice and addressed us by name. They never seemed to expect a tip (which makes me more inclined to give one!).

The 5-6 reception was great. We made it on two separate nights. On the first night there was a great crowd and many had their dogs there too. It was fun to people watch and dog watch! We rarely end up chatting with other guests in hotels, but this reception time added a certain familiarity to the hotel and the guests (and their mutts). It was a big plus. On another night the reception was very busy and got a little unbearable so we didn't stay for more than 3 minutes. Ah well!

Last comment is on the great location. Hotel Monaco is walking distance from the waterfront, the Pearl district (including Powell's) and downtown shopping and restaurants. There are lots of options and you can really do Portland right from this spot!

• Liked — Fun gorgeous place, great staff, fun to meet the dogs (and no dog smell!)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Steve080, Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2008
Dear Jenniferlandrews -

We are thrilled to hear about your recent trip to Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you very much for posting your review of your stay, and in particular thank you for your comments on the lighting in your suite - we value all of our guest feedback and will take this information into consideration.

Hopefully your travels will bring to Portland again soon, and another fabulous experience at the Hotel Monaco.

for Hotel Monaco Portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Trinidad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

The Hotel Monaco is a beautiful hotel with incredible service. At the same time, it is very comfortable and not at all pretentious. Our room was spacious and well-appointed with Aveda products in the bathroom. What we loved most about it was that our 2 large dogs (one at 55 lbs and one at 75 lbs) were welcome *everywhere* in the hotel except for the indoor restaurant. One day there was even a boxer pup on the treadmill next to me in the fitness center (her owner was on a treadmill on the other side of the dog). There is a hosted wine reception in the lobby each evening, where canvases and acrylic paints and brushes are provided. Each evening there is also a different special event. One night it was "VooDoo Doughnuts" with crazy combos like maple and bacon or chocolate with CoCo Puffs. Another night, there was a gourmet salt tasting (I had to buy the Serano chile/lime). One night, there were free doggie massages, and the next it was free chair massages for people. The Hotel Monaco is right in the heart of downtown and convenient to the Pearl District. Lots of great restaurants within a few blocks, including plenty with outdoor seating.

We loved our stay and had a wonderful time. We'd definitely recommend it to anyone (unless they don't like dogs. There were always LOTS of dogs around).

• Liked — Spectacular service and dog friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing at all negative about the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Dear drdiquila -

Thank you very much for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco in Portland. We are so happy to have shared our hotel with you (and your dogs).

Hope we can see you again soon in the near future, and again - thanks for your review,!

plymouth, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We really liked everything about this hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly - from the valets to the front desk. There is a bit of a casual northwest feel about the place but it maintains its class and elegance with no problems. It is pet friendly as well - you will see dogs in the lobby and behind the desk. My wife, who is deathly allergic had no real problems as we had an "allergy free" room on a high floor.

The rooms were spacious and modernly appointed but somehow still managed to preserver the old feeling of the building. They were clean and comfortable. The sheets were nice and the bed was very comfortable. The rooms were also very quiet which can be an issue in older hotels sometimes. The elevators were very fast as well.

Every day there is a social hour in the lobby with complimentary local wines and beers, drinks and snacks. What a great touch. The location is fantastic - right in the heart of downtown. Fantastic public transportation will get you virtualy anywhere else in the city for little or no cost and effort.

My one gripe is that they make you sign up for the Kimpton rewards to get the free wireless. They advertise it as free but leave that part out. It's a bit of a scam, but a painless enough process. The actual wireless is not all that stable either, with frequent lost connections, but I managed to keep up on what I needed to and was grateful that it was free in this day and age of high end hotels charging an arm and a leg for internet.

Overall we were very comfortable here and were sad to leave. We really liked it and would highly recommend it.

• Liked — Great service, Quiet, Clean, location, attention to detail
  • Disliked — Poor wireless service, falsely advertised as free but required [free] membership.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear adavici -

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland. We sincerely appreciate your review and feedback on your stay with us, and thank you for noting that our hotel (while pet friendly) does have allergy free rooms.

We apologize for any miscommunication on the sign-up process for the free wireless internet - this is actually a new program that we have just recently introduced and your feedback on the experience is valuable for us to continue to track the success of the program.

We hope that you will consider us for a future stay, and thank you again for your review.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

With many thanks to fellow trip advisor reviewers, we cancelled our reservations at the heathman and at embassy suites in favor of this funky, classy hotel. we had a AAA discount and joined the klimpton club so we got a king on the top floor with a sitting area--great decor, quiet facility, helpful staff, free beer and wine from 506PM each day and coffee each morning.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are happy that you decided to experience all that the Monaco has to offer, and hope that we met your expectations.

With your new enrollment in Kimpton's "In Touch" program - watch for some really great offers and services for our hotels in Portland coming soon! Hope we can see you again in the near future.

San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

Even though I am only 12 years old, my entire family had a wonderful stay at this hotel, and I will always want to come back and visit. My family of four visited and we had a great time!

When we arrivied, we were all in a bad mood because our plane was delayed by almost two hours so we wanted great service. When we arrivived they instantly had our room card and offered all four of us something to drink. They even gave my brother and I our own key cards and stuffed bears. I really liked the bear I got!

My parents enjoyed the wine tasting every evening. My younger brother and I thought we would have to sit arround while our parents had their wine but there was paint kits for everyone to use and they gave you a huge easel and a set of 12 paints, not the cheap kinds, and they would bring it up to your room when the paint was dry! All of the guests really enjoyed this added surprise.

My family shortly learned that this hotel was all about surprises. After the maids turned our rooms down, they would tie ribbons arround my doll's hair and they would arrange my brothers toy cars in diffeent places of the room. My mom and I loved the Aveda bath products ( no use for bringing your own!) and the complementary fuzzy slippers and robes. They also have a list of things that if you forgot to bring it, they had it, The honor bar was really big too!

The hotel's resturant, Red Star, was my favorite part of the hotel. The servce was really friendly and fast and the food was great. The only thing that annoyed my parents were some of the prices. Other than that, it was really nice!

My mom and I both visited the Aveda spa and we were not really impressed. In the rooms, it has a list of all the avalible services but when we visited, almost half of the services were not avalible, which really annoyed my mom. Some of the prices were really too high as well...

Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay. The concirege were kind and always willing to help with whatever task needed. They had a vast knowledge of places in the area as well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone from a family like mine or a smaller group of people. The hotel is also pet friendly but you could never tell!

• Liked — the service, the resturant
  • Disliked — the spa, some of the prices
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Dear Katiannkirst -
WOW - it sounds like you had quite a stay in Portland. Sorry to hear about your plane delay, but glad that once you got to the Hotel Monaco, that you and your family had a chance to enjoy first-class service.

We are sorry that the menu services offered were discrepant when you visited the Aveda spa, there must be some miscommunication that we are looking into.

If you are coming back to the area, we hope that we will see you again - and thanks for your review!

All our best,

Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

I travel all over on business. This hotel became my second home February-June. I can say that it might be my all-time favorite hotel. The rooms are fantastic. Location great. But, the staff was the exact same staff month after month. They remembered who I was-- met my every need-- and exceeded my expectations. Kimpton chains are my favorite, but THIS Hotel Monaco blew me away. Kudos to the Kimpton team for making my business trips feel like coming home-- even though I was clear across the country.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dear amstorey -

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland - your comments mean a lot to us, specifically our staff and will be shared.

We genuinely enjoy making our guests feel at home, as for many of us this is also like coming home - each day, and are always so thrilled to get a review such as yours.

Here's hoping we see you again in the very near future!

With our thanks,

for Hotel Monaco Portand
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed for three nights in a Grand Suite and the hotel lived up to its excellent reputation. The room was huge, with every amenity you could think of, including a spa bath for two, and the service was exemplary. Free wi-fi, an excellent fitness room (with a proper rowing machine) and the evening wine hour all contributed to a great stay.

• Liked — Wonderful room
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear BlackCatz -

We truly appreciate your review of our hotel and staff - and hope we can see you again on another trip to Portland!

Thank you for being our guest, and happy travels.

All our best,

Steve. S
for Hotel Monaco Portland

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!