“Marvelous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pasadena, California
“Marvelous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is one of the finest hotels I have visited recently. It is in a former old department store and was very nicely appointed. It was in a great location within a comfortable walking distance of Portland's major attractions. We never took our car out during the two days we stayed there. The parking is interesting. You are directed to an underground area which is remarkably clean and decorated for a parking area. The room we had was roomy and very comfortable. We had a small dog with us and they made it a point to provide nice service and attention to him as well as us. The staff were courteous and never made us wait. I will definitely stay here when I return to Portland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for writing such a wonderful review. I agree the location and history of the building give it a special flare. I was happy to read that you and your dog enjoyed the room and that you had such nice things to say about our staff. I think think they are pretty great at what they do, too. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We just stayed three nights in this fantastic hotel!

We loved the friendliness of the staff, especially Matt who was the door man and our "personal travel guide". Each morning he greeted us with a big smile and patiently helped us plan our day. He went out of his way to share his favorite restaurants and sights with us. He is a true treasure!

We had misplaced our cell phone charger and were told they would charge our phone at the front desk. This kind of service is difficult to find these days, but at The Hotel Monaco Portland; it is the norm. The valet staff were very helpful with our car and with the bike rental. Actually, the bikes are free, but they do accept donations.

We went to the happy hour and enjoyed the adult beverages and Daryl, the piano player. He played a variety of songs and even played a few special songs for our anniversary.

We loved how eclectic the room was decorated and appreciated the attention to detail. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were spacious.

We had a delicious light, late evening snack in the hotel bar and really enjoyed the food and the unique beer. Once again, the staff was upbeat and professional.

We were so impressed with this hotel, we joined The Kimpton Hotel club. We look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a fantastic review. I have shared your comments with Matt and know how pleased he will be to know he was of help to you. I was also pleased to read your comments about Daryl the piano player and the wine hour as well as the bikes and the staff in the garage. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and were moved to join the Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at hotel Monaco while getting my daughter settled at Lewis and Clark College. The place is awesome, the staff amazing! Parking included on triple A rate! The left me a gift, Lewis and Clark coffee mug and mini pennant! Above and beyond !!!! Thanks and I will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Monaco Portland and for your wonderful review. Best of luck to your daughter as she begins her adventures at Lewis and Clark. I agree our staff is pretty fantastic and I was happy to read you had such a great time. We look forward to seeing you many times in the coming years as you visit your daughter.

Arlington VA - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Traveling with our teens and splurged for a week's stay here. Great location in the core of Portland's very walkable downtown and nearby Pearl District where we wandered day and night exploring wide variety of places offering commodious comestibles, freaky garb and purveyors of artisanal pretensions. Helpful staff abound. Happy hour daily which includes nice wines and local beers (!), occasionally ice cream, face-painting for kids, and a bit of music. Funky lobby to meet friends although it gave them a bit of a headache (HA!) Rooms are decorated in same irreverent fashion with way too many patterns stretching to not-quite match their bold companions.

We crammed into a suite with a sliding door to separate bedroom area from kids in living room. Like The Alexis, the other Kimpton in Seattle, they forgot the roll-away bed and then had a hard time fitting it into the room. Furniture faced walls, things piled all around, WTF! Just like home! Our goldfish was concerned, too. I think it was clinically depressed in that overdecorated room, panic-frozen in a corner of it's chic little square bowl. Room was reasonably quiet on 6th floor facing 5th Ave.

As I signed up for Kimpton-In Touch they asked me if I had any special requests, so to test them I asked for a bowl of M&Ms with the blue ones taken out ... just to see if they got the joke. They obliged upon our arrival with a bowl of the aforementioned and a couple of Izzie sodas for the kids. Cool! Too bad the candy was soggy and contaminated.

Breakfast at the Red Star was mediocre, no surprise and not a problem since there are numerous excellent nearby places including those that suffer from long lines and inflated sense of self-importance (Mother's anyone?) Again, quick in-and-out eating for breakfast is not possible at the attached Red Star and is designed to capture your maximum dollar.

Price for the stay was acceptable but I discovered that I had to prepay the entire stay to get that rate. Hmm. Notwithstanding a great stay. We were happy campers so I'll forgive the minor shortcomings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Monaco Portland and for writing such a detailed review. I agree we have quite a helpful staff who are great at what they do. The extras in the lobby are something I really enjoy being able to offer. I passed your comments about the forgotten roll away on to our housekeeping staff and we are working on a solution so your experience is not repeated. Thank you for signing up for our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program, I get a kick out of all the fun requests and our concierige is always happy to oblige. I also passed on your comments about Red Star on to the restaurant general manager. He is always looking for ways to improve the menu. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back sometime soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A week earlier we had stayed in the Seattle Hotel Monaco (sister of the Portland Monaco) and were appalled by its hideous decor. The same decorator must have tried his or her skills creating a hodgepodge of mismatched colors, furniture and design in the public spaces and rooms.
It was a shame to ruin an otherwise fine boutique hotel with friendly staff in an excellent location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am in certain agreement that the Hotel Monaco Seattle and the Hotel Monaco in Portland are on the cutting edge in design. The hotels actually were done by different designers, but the point is that the Monaco Hotels which are part of the Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant company want to provide accomocations and public areas that are non traditional and are "visually stimulating". I'm sorry that you felt that the design was over the top. We work hard in trying to make our hotels different and unique. That is why we serve complimentary wine each evening, and complimentary coffee in the morning. That's why we have entertainment during our wine hours. On any given night we might feature a magician, a tarot card reader, a choclatier offering you his/her wares, a locoal winery serving their wines.

We hope that you will see the uniquness of our positioning, and return.

Thanks

State College, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is by no means the least expensive hotel in Portland, but in terms of atmosphere and location it can't be beat. You are in easy walking distance of everything- five blocks from
Powells Books, three from Pioneer Square, the same block as the Nike store and a number of cute boutiques. The attached restaurant is fabulous. There are free bikes, which we took advantage of, and the fitness room is first rate. The staff booked restaurants for us and helped us a number of ways. We had a double queen suite, which was not particularly spacious, for a suite, but quiet and comfortable. I was traveling with kids, and they gave each of them a stuffed animal and brought a goldfish to our room for our stay! Basically the main reason to stay at a Kimpton is that you get a level of service and amenities which is almost comparable to the Four Seasons.

What set this hotel apart from other Kimptons I've stayed at was the wine reception from 4-6. At other Kimptons there might be a house red and a house white, and a few snacks. At the Portland Monaco they had an assortment of local wines, and Perrier, and a microbrew, and a guy playing a marimba (looks like a giant xylophone) AND paints and canvases for kids to paint with! There was a huge and happy crowd enjoying the music, and basically it was one of the best scenes we encountered in Portland. Right in our own hotel. Fantastic. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your feedback. Yes, we do try to keep our wine hour interesting and FUN. Just last week we oferred face painting, and amazingly enough not only did kids partake but many adults. We offer complimentray massages, tarot card readings, henna tatoos, and magicians during this magical hour in our hotel. Let's face it we are all kids at heart, and who doesn't enjoy escaping from the mundane and dull. That might also explain our design concepts. Your not likely to find "traditional" in a Kimpton Monaco Hotel.

We look forward to your next visit.

Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I meant to write this review immediately, but it's been over a month so I hope I remember everything!
First of all, the hotel and room was quirky - in a good way. Noise from outside was minimal. Bed was comfy. Location was great - could walk pretty much anywhere downtown, along the river, to the different neighborhoods, to the food trucks....
Special shout out to Spencer, one of the concierges, who emailed me ad nauseum before we arrived. I am rather "detailed-oriented" when I travel, and as I had never been to Portland before, I had to pack as much in to my 3 days as possible. He helped me months in advance with my itinerary and restaurant reservations. And when he wasn't working, the front desk staff was friendly, professional and helpful in every way. We also were pleasantly surprised by some goodies in our room - some Stumptown coffee, Blue Star donuts, local wine, and a giftcard to Powell's book store. Don't forget to check out the wild robes in the closet (see picture)
This is a dog friendly hotel, and they have happy hours, with wine tastings and a little food - so after a long day exploring, we enjoyed the packed lobby, meeting other guests and meeting their dogs. They also had free bikes on loan, and that was one of our favorite afternoons - biking along the Willamette River's esplanade.
I think the best part of the hotel was the staff and the warm and helpful service we received. It was like we were VIP's - without feeling like we were staying at a stuffy hotel. There also was an Aveda salon attached to the hotel, so the 1/2 price massages we received (it was July 4 weekend) were a bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Monaco Portland and for writing such a detailed review of your stay. I can relate to being a little behind on writing reviews (or answering them). I was happy to read what a wonderful time you had planning your stay with Spencer (who has recently left us and been replaced by one of our front desk agents, Nicci) and the rest of the front desk staff. I've shared your comments with our front office manager who is always happy to hear about great experiences. I'm glad you got a chance to try our bikes and squeeze in a massage next door. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Portland.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!