“Fun in Portland” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 132 hotels in Portland
Vancouver, Canada
“Fun in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently spent 5 days at the Hotel Monaco in Portland and it was truly a wonderful experience. From the complimentary bottle of wine in our room to the dog sitting, every moment was truly enjoyable. Prior to our arrival we received a lovely email asking what they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. Upon my request I immediately received an email detailing a number of must visit boutiques and restaurants. This hotel bends over backwards to help you enjoy the city!

Room Tip: Any room should be great. We were on the 3rd floor overlooking the street and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I'm happy to read that our staff emailed you before you arrived and provided you with shopping tips and recommendations. That's great! Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and I hope we'll see you again soon.

2,022 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
St. Helena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

From the moment we drove up to the Hotel Monaco we had every need taken care of. This was a return visit for us so we already knew we liked the hotel. Our daughter lives in Portland and we made the trip up to meet her fiancée's parents. We had a bottle of wine that the bellman noticed as he brought our bags into the room and he immediately offered to get us ice and took the bottle of wine with him to get the wine properly chilled with ice over the bottle in our ice bucket. Now that is great service! Our morning coffee room service delivery was prompt & cheerful - good coffee too! Our bed was extremely comfortable & inviting. We had also been offered a yoga mat as an option when we made our reservation online. It was rolled out in the room with a block & 3 rolled up handtowels. Felt very pampered! We will definitely stay again on a return visit to Portland!

Room Tip: The corner king rooms are really nice sized & bright. We paid a bit extra but it's worth it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland for a return stay. I hope you enjoyed meeting your daughter's fiance's parents. I especially enjoyed reading the nice comments about our bellman icing your wine. That must have been a nice welcome to your room. I am happy to hear that you took advantage of our new yoga mat roll-out program. We think it is perfect for yogis on the go and I'm glad you agree. Thank you and I hope we see you again next time you're in town.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked the Hotel Monaco because I like staying in the Kimpton hotels...mainly the Palomar in Dallas. However, I would say that I wish I had stayed somewhere else. After spending a long day out and visiting with family, we came back to a dirty room. We had an in-town guest join us and they came up to our room after dinner for a drink and it was quite embarrassing, especially for a hotel of this quality and for the $$. The lady at the front desk said she could send a maid up but it was late and we didn't want to have to sit there while she cleaned the room. Overall I would not stay here again. The hotel is in a great location and very accessible to almost anything.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the feedback about your time with us. Thank you for the comments about your housekeeping service. I have shared your review with our Executive Housekeeper. At our next housekeeping meeting we will share your review with our entire housekeeping staff to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you for sharing this information with us and I hope we have the opportunity to see you again.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed with the family (wife, kids 13 and 10) at the Hotel Monaco for 4 nights. It was our first visit to Portland, and the hotel was in a great location and very convenient to all the city attractions that we wanted to visit. The hotel was very nice, well maintained and had a very modern look and feel. Bedding was comfortable. During our stay, housekeeping did a good job in maintaining/cleaning the room. Also, there was morning coffee and pastries in the lobby sitting area, which was a nice touch. The doormen, bellhops and valet were all excellent, helpful and friendly. The front desk did not come across as friendly, but I would not say they were unwelcoming or rude, just not pleasant. The concierge was non-existent throughout our stay. Only real complaint is that the hotel is in a downtown setting and windows don't seem to be double-paned, so there was quite a bit of street noise (including cleaning/garbage collection) during the night.

For those traveling with children, it is not necessary a family hotel and seemingly caters to couples, so I would consider other options.

We only ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast, so difficult to judge, but generally the breakfast food was standard fare, but very expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed our location and that housekeeping took good care of your room while you were with us. Thank you also for the feedback about our front desk staff. I have shared it with our front office manager. Together we will work with our desk staff to make sure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you also for the feedback about the garbage trucks. I will contact the local garbage companies to see if they can delay their morning pickup times. Thank you again for staying and I hope we see you again soon.

Burbank, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We were suddenly staying in Portland and wanted somewhere we felt safe downtown with our young children. This hotel was so easy to find and the moment we arrived we felt spoiled. The staff has great customer service-every one of them including the doorman that recommended our amazing breakfast.
My personal favorite part was the room-such unique and fun style and very comfortable spacing. Love and appreciated the extra amenities that you just don't find anymore-such as nice bathroom supplies and free internet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco while you were in Portland. I'm glad you felt safe and spoiled while your were with us. I especially enjoyed reading the nice comments about our staff and customer service. I agree that our staff is excellent and I'll be sure to pass your comments on to them. Thank you and I hope we see you again soon.

General manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A perfect hotel in a fabulous neighbourhood of a wonderful city...what else would you need? The uber friendly staff were perfectly delightful - ask them where to eat, they gave great suggestions of places they would eat instead of expensive or pretentious. They have free bikes! I miss my bike so badly when I travel and to see one sitting there was like seeing Clive Owen with a "free for a date this evening" sign on his chest. We rode over to fabulous Alberta Street and even got caught up with a great group of kids riding in the nude Portland ride which was the biggest kick ever. Rooms were so cool, decorating so artisitic, checkout is noon...GO!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the king deluxe suite on the 5th floor..didnt see the others, but ours was great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Wow! It sounds like you had quite the stay! Thank you for staying with us and for the excellent feedback. I'm happy to read that our front desk staff provided good eating recommendations. Thank you for taking advantage of our complimentary bike program. Biking is an excellent way to see Portland and it sounds like you got quite the eyeful! Thank you for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend. It was a birthday trip for her, which I noted in the reservation. The staff at the hotel were very nice in inquiring what I would like in the room as a gift and they came through with some very nice gifts. The bottle of Champagne wasn't needed, but the orange juice, apples, and chocolates were what we really wanted.

We were upgraded (at no cost) to a king suite from a queen room, which was very nice. They also honored our promotional rate which included the valet parking (normally $38 per night!). The valets were very quick about their jobs.

The room we got was very nice with a comfortable bed. It was getting toward summertime in Portland, so you need to make sure you close the drapes well or else you will get some very early sunlight. In a suite, you might want to keep a small light on (the mirrors have them) so you can find the bathroom in the dark.

We didn't travel with a pet, but there were plenty of dogs to see in the lobby.

One of the very nice touches was the complimentary coffee in the morning. You could either get hot Starbucks or you could get some excellent iced coffee from a local merchant. My wife was in heaven because they had iced decaf.

The location of the hotel is very convenient to walk to many restaurants, the art museum, Powell's Books, Pioneer Square. And if you want cheaper food, there are some great food trucks nearby.

Overall, we felt very welcome the whole time. The staff never made us feel like we were bothering them. They went out of their way to help us from checkin to checkout.

Room Tip: Make sure the drapes are closed tonight or the early sunrises in the summer can wake you up around 5...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about your time with us and I hope your wine enjoyed her birthday weekend. I'm glad that our staff set you up with some nice welcome amenities. Thank you again for staying and I hope we see you again soon.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!