“Customer first service and definitely worth the price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 35%
Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Los Angeles, California
“Customer first service and definitely worth the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend. It was a birthday trip for her, which I noted in the reservation. The staff at the hotel were very nice in inquiring what I would like in the room as a gift and they came through with some very nice gifts. The bottle of Champagne wasn't needed, but the orange juice, apples, and chocolates were what we really wanted.

We were upgraded (at no cost) to a king suite from a queen room, which was very nice. They also honored our promotional rate which included the valet parking (normally $38 per night!). The valets were very quick about their jobs.

The room we got was very nice with a comfortable bed. It was getting toward summertime in Portland, so you need to make sure you close the drapes well or else you will get some very early sunlight. In a suite, you might want to keep a small light on (the mirrors have them) so you can find the bathroom in the dark.

We didn't travel with a pet, but there were plenty of dogs to see in the lobby.

One of the very nice touches was the complimentary coffee in the morning. You could either get hot Starbucks or you could get some excellent iced coffee from a local merchant. My wife was in heaven because they had iced decaf.

The location of the hotel is very convenient to walk to many restaurants, the art museum, Powell's Books, Pioneer Square. And if you want cheaper food, there are some great food trucks nearby.

Overall, we felt very welcome the whole time. The staff never made us feel like we were bothering them. They went out of their way to help us from checkin to checkout.

Room Tip: Make sure the drapes are closed tonight or the early sunrises in the summer can wake you up around 5...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about your time with us and I hope your wine enjoyed her birthday weekend. I'm glad that our staff set you up with some nice welcome amenities. Thank you again for staying and I hope we see you again soon.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Monaco is just a joy - bright and big, great staff and perfect location to walk to almost everything. We travel to Portland a couple times a year for pleasure and always look forward to our stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco when you visit Portland. I enjoyed reading the nice feedback about our staff and location. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again next time you're in town.

Palo Alto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

our stay in portland was 4 days long, we decided to go with our first choice for a hotel and were constantly glad we did. the monaco is an inviting, artsy, vibrant place to crash any time of the day. the gym was well stocked / lit / equipped, and the view from the room (9th flr) was terrific! the staff was courteous, we often were busy in the room and rescheduling cleaning with the maid / with the front desk was no issue whatsoever. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in portland during following trips.

Room Tip: premier suite was terrific, lots of space & foyer was quaint
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monao for your recent stay in Portland. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about our on-site fitness center and staff. I am glad that you experienced no difficulties in rescheduling with your housekeeper. I'll be sure to pass that feedback on to our Executive Housekeeper. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again next time you're in Portland.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you feel special and that the staff are there for you.
Goldfish, dogs, music, coffee, afternoon wine all make you feel at home.
The rooms are awesome and not cookie-cutter. They abound with flair and style.
The hotel is spotless, quiet and very VERY centrally located - you will not need a car.
My only complaint is hotels give you one little bar of soap for two people to share at the sink and shower. Given there are 8 packets of cotton balls and q-tips more soap please.
But the attention to comfort makes this a standout value.

Room Tip: king suite was amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us. I enjoyed reading the comments about our staff, guestrooms, and location. Thank you for the feedback about the soap in your guestroom. I will share it with our Executive Housekeeper and we will make sure our housekeepers are aware. Thank you again for your comments and we hope we see you again soon

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Crazy cool decoration and furniture, fantastic rooms great in appointment and size. Staff very friendly and proficient everything a great hotel should be and a place many establishments could learn from!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your time with us. I enjoyed reading about our decor, guestrooms, and especially out staff. I agree that they are excellent. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to our staff as I know they'll be pleased. I hope we see you again next time you're in Portland.

Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

For a last minute business trip to Portland I planned on staying at one of Portland's recognized hotels, The Heathman. Unfortunately my trip fell on the week of the Rose Festival, and The Heathman and other well known hotels in the area were fully booked. Having stayed at two different Kimpton properties in San Francisco recently with mixed reviews, I was a little hesitant with booking the Monaco... But the #1 rating on TripAdvisor made me a bit more comfortable.

I'm glad I stayed. By far my best Kimpton experience to date, and one of my best hotel experiences.

From the moment you arrive, whether by car, bike or foot you feel you're in a different type of hotel. The car park is fashioned with curtains to soften the sound and the feel, and the lobby is a wonderful presentation. Different colors, great places to relax while waiting for friends or colleges makes it very comfortable.

When checking in the reception team was efficient and helpful. There is a cistern of ice water infused with lemon and strawberry which was very refreshing. The room I stayed in (corner king) was large, with many windows. Very well lit, and comfortable, the bed was as good or better than home, and amenities such as shampoo were plentiful and nice... We're not talking Pert here!!

A colleague was staying in a king mini-suite. Again, large and comfortable for a hotel room with two separate areas, a bedroom and a sitting area. We were practicing a presentation and there was enough room and seating for the four of us to work comfortably in the sitting area alone for hours. The hotel staff even hunted down a VGA cable for us which allowed us to view the orientation on the in suite 37" TV instead of just our laptops. In charge, we just had to return it at the end of our stay.

As I was here on business I couldn't take advantage of the many different options they provided - various summer kit for kids (bubbles, toys, etc.), a guided waterfront morning run, and others. A couple of us did decide to grab some loaner bikes offered by the hotel. They must have had 1.5 to 2 dozen bikes available. Simple single speed bikes, but perfect for Portland's slight grades around downtown. The valet suggested we ride across Burnside Bridge to Burnside Brewing Company. A great suggestion we wouldn't have pursued without the Valet's input.

We had a vehicle, and the parking was $38 a night. Not the cheapest, but the vehicle was necessary, and parking anywhere in the city is pretty expensive. If a car is not necessary I'd suggest coming in from the airport via light rail, the nearby station is only 2 blocks away. You always have the bikes for easy around town transportation.

POINTER: Sign up to be a part of Kimpton's frequent stay loyalty program, InTouch. This gives you access to free wifi, and their $10 "raid the minibar" credit. Enough for a chocolate bar or bottle of water.... But at this hotel the to water is as good as bottled water in other cities.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland during your recent business trip. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about your time with us. I'm glad that our staff loaned you a complimentary VGA cable and that our valets recommended the bike ride to Burnside Brewing Company. Sounds like fun! Thank you for suggesting MAX for transportation around Portland. MAX is convenient, efficient, inexpensive, and popular with locals and travelers alike. Thank you again for staying and we hope we'll see you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Pros:
Location, Quality of Furnishings, Comfort, Complimentary Wine Tasting, Friendly Responsive Staff, Good Happy Hour

Cons:
Very noisy at night (trash collection at 3am), Excessive Mini-Bar Prices, High Nightly Parking

My usual hotel was fully booked, so I was booked into The Monaco, Prices were about $100/night more expensive than my usual. The rooms are a little more luxurious, but pretty pokey, unless you get one of the suites. The attached Red Star Tavern does great food, and has a pretty happy hour 6-8pm, and the service is very good. I missed the 5-6pm complimentary wine/beer tasting as its so early.

Overall its a nice hotel, and would be perfect for a couple splashing out for a trip to Portland, but the $38/night parking ($10 more than my usual hotel) irritates. $76 for two nights parking makes you feel violated. I don't normally use the mini-bar, but occasionally you want to grab a beer or a packet of M&M's. Here the M&M's are $9! and a $1 beer was $8. A little of a price gouging going on there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the feedback about your time with us. Thank you for the comments about the noise you heard at night. I will contact the local garbage collection companies to see if it is possible to delay their downtown pickup times. It is correct that our valet parking is $38 per night. Our valet parking garage is secure, located on-site, and features unlimited in and out priviledges. We do offer half-price parking for hybrid and electic vehicles as well as discounted rates and packages that include reduced or complimentary valet parking. We frequently research to confirm that our parking is priced competitively in the downtown market but appreciate your feedback. It may be time to again check our competitors' pricing. i agree that our mini bar items can add up. For this reason we offer a $10 Raid the Mini Bar credit as part of our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. Thank you for the feedback about your stay and I hope we see you again next time you're in Portland.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!