“Monaco Fit for a King” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Ogden, UT
“Monaco Fit for a King”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Warning: the streets around the hotel are full of 20 yr old transients and you will be approached non stop for money. What a blight on this beautiful city. Now, on with the review.
Let me start with the Rooms. As you have seen from pictures the decor is eccentric and eye catching. Floor to ceiling the colors, shapes and designs are mesmerizing. My single king room had a separate sitting room with fold out couch. Bathroom was large and clean. I give this property high marks. Not sure if there is anything I disliked here. Can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about our newly-decorated guestrooms. Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and we hope you'll stay with us again in the not-too-distant future.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Cary, Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked our hotel and immediately became excited when we received an email from them asking about our preferences. A little over a week before our arrival I was sent an email from the front ask asking if we needed anything to make our stay more comfortable or if there was they could help us with. I asked for breakfast recommendations and told them it was a girls weekend. I fully expected them to respond with their hotel restaurant for food, but got a list of places that were fantastic and what the locals themselves recommended. We also had a bottle of wine and champagne brought to us, so our conversation "didn't run dry." They were so helpful in every way. I loved the leopard robes and decor. The shampoo and conditioners were even nice. They offer free bikes, had wine during happy hour and free transit tickets for "earth day/week." I will come back and now stay at their other properties. I didn't give it perfect score because our room smelled smokey to us the whole time and we were told it wasn't a smoking room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the very nice TripAdvisor review. I was happy to read that our staff sent you an email prior to your arrival and that your response was followed-up by some sparkling wine and nice recommendations. I'm glad you had the opportunity to stay with us during Earth Week. Thank you for the feedback about the smoky smell in your guestroom. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and together we will walk our guestrooms to ensure there are no errant smoky smells. We look forward to seeing you again next time you're in Portland.

Richland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I really appreciate the Kimpton properties and so far all of our experiences have been very good ones! Last Friday my husband was trying to get home form the east coast and several delays caused him to make it to Portland instead of our home town. We decided to make an adventure out of my trip to pick him up, and so we booked a night at the Monaco! I hopped in my Mini and headed in. The first thing that I appreciated was being able to pull off of the busy city street to their lower level valet parking. It was so nice and the attendents were really nice! The property has a really nice atmosphere, fun color schemes and personality. The check in staff was also very nice. Our room was really great, fun decor and roomy! After an early afternoon run along the Portland River front (and then a shower – of course) we went into the adjacent Red Star Tavern to check it out. The place felt good, lots of natural light from windows and we noticed they were having a happy hour.. perfect timing for us! Our server was very nice and attentive, and the food we ordered from the happy hour menu was very good! We then proceeded to the Monaco's evening reception. Someone was playing the piano and they were serving a few snacks and some bevs. We walked around and enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere of the event.
The next morning there was a coffe bar set up with some VooDoo doughnuts. It was a fun novelty to select one of these for an a.m. snack.
Our overall experience was really great, and the hotel location is really nice for walking/running to everything we wanted to do.
P.S. - in the room were some very fun robes to wear, tiger and cheetah theme!

Room Tip: The view from our room was of the Macy's building, but that was OK for us..If you would like a d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about your stay with us. I'm glad that you were able to make the best of your husband's delayed return home. I'll be sure to share the nice feedback about Red Star Tavern with the restaurant manager and chef. Hopefully we'll see you next time you're in Portland.

Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The room was nice enough but I think overpriced. Staff very nice and we did get free valet parking which made the high price not so bad. Convenient location for walking to restaurants,saturday market,etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the nice comments about our staff. I was happy to read that you received complimentary parking. Thank you for the feedback about the price of our guestrooms. Our room rates change and are based on availability. Our room rates include complimentary coffee and tea in the morning as well as a complimentary wine reception every evening. We do our best to ensure that our pricing is competitive but it may be time to take another look at our prices for the upcoming summer season. Thank you for the comments and I hope we see you again soon.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have never recieved such impecable service from a hotel staff! I received an email a few days before my trip to see if there was anything they could set up in my room prior to arrival. At check-in Tim and Joe at the front desk spent a good 10 mins with us on a map showing us good places to go and breweries to try out and were excited to do so (no one else was behind us waiting). The decor of the hotel and rooms are beautiful and well kept, and very comfortable. Daily wine and beer happy hour is great! Great location in downtown, quick walk to alomost anything. Overall great experience and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room was on the 5th floor, good view of downtown and really quiet!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and for the nice comments about our staff. I agree that they are excellent. Thank you especially for the nice comments about Tim and Joseph. I'll be sure to share your feedback as I know they'll be pleased. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you're in Portland.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great staff from check-in to check-out - they genuinely seem pleased to see you and go out of their way to be as welcoming and helpful as possible. Rooms are large and very comfortable - and there's always something interesting to look at. Excellent location - can walk to river front, Saturday market, Japanese and Chinese Gardens, Powell Books and Pearl district. Spencer, the concierge, always had just the right suggestion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Hotel Monaco on TripAdvisor. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about our staff. I agree that they are excellent. Spencer was recently promoted to Concierge and has been doing an excellent job. I'll be sure to share your comments with him as I know he'll be pleased. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am becoming a big fan of Kimpton hotels. The guest manager contacted me beforehand to ask if there was anything the staff could help with. I asked for some suggestions on shopping and dining and her recommendations were perfect! I also mentioned it was a special weekend for my husband and I and they surprised us with a bottle of champagne and rose petals on the bed.

I loved the witty and posh decor, and their complimentary wine social included a cocktail, beer and snacks. It was clearly popular and seemed to be THE social spot in town. Other nice touches included Timmy the pet relations manager, free bike tours, and free minibar credit to members. I had a magical weekend in Portland and have the hotel to thank.

The location was in walking distance to Old Town and Pearl District for many of the top restaurants, shopping and nightlife.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad that our guest services staff contacted you and arranged for recommendations and a bottle on sparking wine. Thank you for joining our complimentary evening wine reception and I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us next time you're in Portland.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!