“Portland's Hotel Monaco....What's Not To Like?” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct: 10% Off!
Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southlake, Texas
“Portland's Hotel Monaco....What's Not To Like?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed with the nice folks at the Hotel Monaco in Portland in the middle of February. The weather was oh so Portland in February -- cold, rainy and a little like a David Lynch movie. Were it not for the warm and comfortable atmosphere of the Hotel Monaco, the stay would have been a bust. Rising to the occasion was the entire staff at the Monaco, and I mean the entire staff. The doormen were the funk, front desk staff accessible and friendly, the room make-up folks helpful and willing to work around my schedule. The result of this team effort was a magnificent stay at a warm and welcoming property in a great Portland location.

Every morning there was coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby while the evening's offered wine and local brew pub tastings. The attached restaurant has great eats at reasonable prices and the Happy Hours are a great reason to unwind from the day.

Nice property, nice people -- What's Not To Like?

Room Tip: My room was the 8th floor and was their hypoallergenic floor. They do not allow pets on this floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for the trip advisor review. I was happy to read that you had a great stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm sorry that the weather was oh-so-Portland while you were here - you'll have to try us again this July or August! Thank you for the great comments about our staff. Thank you also for the nice feedback about our morning coffee station, evening wine reception, and location. Hopefully we'll see you again (but for warmer weather).

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
Marin County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was thrilled with the service, property, amenities, and personality of this hotel. The building was originally a department store, which results in old-school high ceilings and quirky room arrangements. No cookie-cutter rooms here! Beautiful rooms with daring interior design, high-end fixtures, and quality bath products and bedding. My King Premier Suite was ginormous and such a bargain price.

The staff was warm, friendly, courteous, and professional. They were all polite and ready with directions and suggestions.

I loved seeing dogs in this pet-friendly hotel, it made me feel at home because I had to leave my doggy at home. The staff will provide you with a goldfish friend for your room if you are lonely!

I adore - ADORE! - the front sitting room of the lobby: it is very large, with incredible Eastern-inspired decor, with a warm fireplace and cozy divans. I enjoyed my morning complimentary tea and evening complimentary wine here. One night, there was a local brewery pouring free samples of some excellent micro brews. So very Portland, so very appreciated! The staff also sets up an easel and canvas with paints during happy hour so guests can create art if they want.

There are three Kimpton hotels in Portland, each with its own flavor - and each with different uniforms for their bellmen. As a theatrical costumer, I think it is brilliant that Kimpton pays such attention to detail regarding the branding of their individual properties. I don't mean to belittle the elegance of these hotels, but to me it is rather like the different uniform the Disneyland cast members wear when they work different rides: it nudges the guests' imagination and heightens their enjoyment.

The exercise room is very large and well equipped, it was not just an afterthought as some hotel gyms can be. Also, the hotel occasionally leads morning guided runs along the river.

The activities this hotel offers (such as the morning run, the beer tasting, the painting, the bikes they have for loan) remind me of those wonderful summer resorts of the last century - but the vibe is trendy and fresh. They offer great diversion.

Even if one is not a joiner, and does not want diversion, there is so much to do within walking distance of this hotel. It is situated downtown, but in a pleasant neighborhood. the bus and Max light rail are just a block away. We easily walked to Voodoo Donuts, Floating World Comics, the riverfront, the Portland Museum, Powell's Books, and some very, VERY good restaurants. Because of the proximity, we had no worries about drinking a nice glass of wine but then having to wait to drive back to the hotel.

I cannot wait to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the micro brew tasting at wine hour. I was also pleased that you were able to take advantage of our fitness room and convenient downtown location. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we'll see you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland recently. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel smelled wonderfully. I truly enjoyed the comforts of this hotel and the great customer service! I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. We appreciate the great comments about our staff and customer. I hope we get to see you again next time you're in Portland.

Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The BEST pet friendly hotel by far. Absolutely clean and chic. They have no breed restrictions or limits on number of pets. The staff is very friendly. It's the only place we stay when we have a Kimpton option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our pet friendly offerings. Pets are welcome at all Kimpton Hotels and there is no pet fee. Hotel Monaco Portland also offers complimentary pet welcome amenities. We even have our own lobby dog, Timmy. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to meet him next time you're in Portland.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Beautiful boutique hotel. Lovely downstairs, and absolutely beautiful in my large room. The staff was really lovely, as well. The location is excellent, in downtown Portland. Walking distance to many places that a visitor might want to visit. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My corner room was quite large. It is my understanding that some of the smaller rooms have French do...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the Trip Advisor review. We appreciate the great comments about our guest rooms, staff, and location. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I give this hotel 3.5 stars. It was nice enough but really not worth the $350 or so we spent for a Saturday night. The valet parking fee of $38 was also atrocious but we paid it since we didn't want to hassle with parking in a different lot. We have high standards for hotels and don't mind paying for hotels if they are worth it, but we have stayed at much nicer hotels for less, even in big cities like London. The decor was a bit much with way too many patterns and styles - I think they were trying to be eclectic but the execution was poor. I am giving an extra half point to 3.5 for the fact that they allow dogs, had a welcome board with the names of the various dogs staying, and we enjoyed visiting with the hotel dog Timmy. The hotel staff and valet staff were pleasant and helpful; I have no complaints there. We did not go to the wine and beer evening event, but I suppose if you like that sort of thing, you would have thought that it was a nice amenity. The location is fine for doing downtown things but since we mostly do things outside of downtown when we visit Portlandia, so I'm not sure that staying downtown and paying a premium is really worth it. But if you're doing things downtown, and can find a good deal on a room, then it would be a fine place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for the trip advisor review. We appreciate your comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed visiting with Timmy, our lobby dog, and that you found our staff friendly. Thank you for the feedback about the cost of your room and valet parking as well as our decor. Hotel Monaco Portland was recently renovated. Below is the design statement written by Gino Castano, our designer. Reading Gino’s design statement really helped me to understand the elements he was focusing on.

Hotel Monaco Portland - Design Statement

Influenced by the natural beautiful forests and mountains that surround Portland, the newly
renovated Hotel Monaco Guest Rooms look to bring that experience inside. With a twist and
whimsicality that has come to be the trademark of the Monaco brand. the palette was inspired by the pine green colors of the Willamette Valley, the orange sunsets on the Columbia River, the gray skies of a long Oregon winter and the lovely gardens of the City Of Roses. All of this is
intermingled with geometric fabrics, high gloss lacquer finishes and touches of gold and polished chrome details throughout the room for a very layered design aesthetic.
The wall covering sets the stage for the spacious room with local birds of Oregon in flight as if
emerging from the over scaled “cage like” fretwork inspired carpet in orange and greige colors.
Stepping into the Living Room, the guest is greeted by bright blue chevron patterned upholstered sofa with graphic black and white pillows crowned by a hand-crafted branch inspired circular mirror. The birds look as if they are dancing and flying thru the branches. The octagon desk with a boldly scaled hourglass base is flanked by a handsome task chair upholstered in an MC Escher inspired fabric and an over stylized lounge chair in contemporary birch trees on a crisp winter day. The sense of discovery continues as the guest turns on the desk lamp to find they are greeted by duck feet as an homage to the University of Oregon and a piece of artwork that is inspired by Mt. Hood. One truly feels as if they have stepped into a forest.
Moving past the dramatic sliding doors into the Bedroom, the guest is greeted by an extravagant headboard framed in an orange lacquer finish with an exuberant tartan pattern bed skirt and matching bed pillows in lilac, citrine, tawny and charcoal colors. Modern day amenities like data ports are conveniently located at each nightstand making sure the guests needs are met at all times. After the long day of shopping in Pioneer Square, the guests can relax on the brightly colored forest green hybrid bench/chair with fuchsia feet while taking in a contemporary print of the Columbia River Gorge.
The nature inspired experience continues in the bathroom with an architecturally inspired wall
covering with famous buildings and monuments of Portland and beyond: St. Johns Bridge, Vista House and the Pioneer Clock Tower. An emerald art deco mirror is high lighted by a stylized branch sconce. The centerpiece of the room is a custom feature ceramic tile in the shower, by a local tile company of an 18th Century illustration of a rose: The crowning centerpiece of the famous summer festival that represents this charming city of the Pacific Northwest.

Hotel Monaco Portland offers on-site, secure valet parking with unlimited in and out priviledges. Valet Parking is $38 overnight and we offer a half-price discount for hybrid vehicles as well as some room rates that include valet parking. We believe that our parking is priced competitively for the downtown Portland market; however, it may be time to take another look at our pricing. I will take your comments to our next staff meeting for a discussion of our valet parking and guest room value.

Port Orchard WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Portland via Amtrak over the President's Day weekend. We stayed at the Hotel Monaco, a "boutique" hotel located in the heart of downtown Portland. Everything we wanted to do (basically shop and eat) was withing walking distance. We were also able to walk to and from the Union Train Station, since we were traveling light. A downtown tram system is a great alternative to walking. Hotel staff was courteous and helpful. Our room was beautifully appointed, as was the hotel lobby where complimentary coffee was served in the morning, and wine and beer in the evening (accompanied by live pianist at the grand piano). I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I'm glad you enjoyed your guest room and our morning coffee and evening wine and beer receptions. It sounds like you had a fun time in Portland. Walking and taking public transit are great ways to get to Union Station. Both the yellow and green line MAX light rail lines run directly from Union Station to a stop very close to Hotel Monaco (SW 5th and Oak). Thanks again for staying with us and I hope we'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!