“Perfect stay - Almost” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 132 hotels in Portland
Corvallis, Oregon
“Perfect stay - Almost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We recently traveled to Hotel Monaco for a short three night stay in Portland. This was the perfect find for us as we're always looking for suites with a separate bedroom so our kids can go down to sleep early and my husband & I don't have to tip toe around the room in order not to wake them.

Our arrival went smoothly with valet, the bellman, and check in. We were allowed to check in early, which is always a plus. The lobby is beautiful, with a very sweet dog greeting every guest as they enter the hotel.

The room was very clean and well appointed. The design was awesome! They really have thought of everything - the pack and play was waiting for us in the room with a blanket for our toddler and a baby toiletry kit. There was even a stuffed animal on the bed and in the pack and play, of course for a cost. The front desk also sent a fish in a small fish tank for our little ones to enjoy - went over really well!

Now, the downsides.

First - On our second day, the housekeeper arrived very early and asked to clean our room. We were getting ready to head out, so we asked her to come back in fifteen minutes or so. We were gone for over two hours. We came back to the room so I could feed the baby. The housekeeper was again outside our room. She asked if we were ready for her to clean our room. We told her it wasn't a good time, as we needed to freshen up and feed the baby. She could come back in 30 minutes or so when we were going out again. She proceeded to scold us for making her wait. I was shocked as we had already given her ample time to come back earlier.

Second - The doormen were extremely inattentive. There were many times we would come to the door to find the doorman texting or talking to someone. We would have to maneuver getting our stroller in and out of the doors independently. And one day the doorman actually held the door for us, but let go to soon and the door slammed me in the arm.

Other than those two things, the hotel stay was great! We loved the small touches the hotel gives. It would be nice to have a breakfast included with the stay, but there are plenty of bakeries and such close by to provide breakfast! Great location and beautiful property!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the feedback about your interactions with our staff. Your experience is unacceptable and I apologize. I will share your comments with our guest services and housekeeping managers. We will work with our staff to ensure that this does not occur in the future.

2,000 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We loved this hotel! I am originally from Portland but prefer to stay in a hotel rather than with my zany family. Usually stay at the Heathman (which I really love, too) but got a great deal on this as part of my membership in Kimpton frequent-stay club.

All the rooms are spacious (the hotel was formerly the "Fifth Ave. Suites") and is in a great location downtown. The decor is wild and interesting--my sister-in-law is a highly-acclaimed euro-modern interior designer in NYC and I am sure she would have been in heaven!
The staff there is wonderful, too--everyone is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

We had a birthday celebration for my uncle in the restaurant and the food/atmosphere were great.

I recommend this place highly and will be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with Hotel Monaco and for being a member of our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and particularly our decor. You'll have to bring your sister next time you stay with us.

Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My partner and I went on vacation to Portland almost a year to the day since we'd taken our last out-of-state vacation together. We've always had great experiences at Kimpton hotels, which is why we chose the Hotel Monaco. Well, that and the great TripAdvisor rankings. The reviews don't lie - this was a great stay.

The hotel is perfectly located near several major transit lines, which was key for us because we weren't renting a car. It's an easy walk to Powell's (again, key), Stumptown (coffee is SO important) and a fantastic food cart that serves vegan cheese steaks - and that's just the tip of the iceberg as to what's nearby.

The hotel itself is well-decorated, with a Victorian-via-Portlandia vibe to it; our wallpaper reflected the "Put a bird on it" ethos. I'm sure the dog-friendliness is great for some guests, but a big selling point for us was the hypo-allergenic floor. It was truly hypoallergenic but also comfortable. There were an assortment of pillows, each with a different density, which allowed both my partner and I to find exactly the right one for us.

The most delightful thing, however, was the wonderful gift they left in my room in honor of my birthday: chocolate cake, balloons, and champagne. It was the most thoughtful thing ever! The moment I walked in, I knew a great birthday celebration was guaranteed...and it was fantastic!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review and for the great comments. I was happy to read that you had an excellent stay with us and that you enjoyed your birthday celebration. I'm glad that our staff sent you an in-room birthday surprise and that you had the opportunity to stay on our hypo-allergenic floor. I hope that you enjoyed your vegan cheese steak and am curious about the ingredients.

cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great location in downtown. Tons of unique shops and restaurants in walking distance. Rooms were great; hip, big and super clean. Bed was really comfortable. Staff is fantastic, from the doorman to the front desk attendant and the room service staff, everyone was awesome and accommodating. Great nightly happy hour; the seasonal spiced cider was tasty and the piano man was wonderful.

There were only a few areas where the Monaco seems to be lacking. Having stayed in many Kimptons all over the country I've always been very impressed with the quality of their on-site restaurants and room service. For instance, the majority of Kimptons offer a Greek yogurt of some sort for breakfast. Typically this will be topped with fresh fruit, and or honey, housemade granola etc. At the Hotel Monaco Portland however I just received a giant lump of plain Greek yogurt with a few slivers of strawberry and couple seemingly unwashed raspberries (covered in dried flakes of leaves). Basically a pretty half-as*ed, yet pricey, dish. A $1 cup of Chobani from the grocery store would've tasted better. Additionally, the Hotel Monaco is seriously lacking in TV channels. No premium options (HBO, etc), not even HGTV or TLC.

Otherwise, I will definitely be back. Just would be happier if I could eat breakfast in bed, as planned vs going hungry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our location, evening wine reception, and staff. Thank you for the feedback about your experience with room service and about the number of television channels in your guest room. I will share your comments about our room service options with our chef, restaurant manager, and room service supervisor. We will work together to improve the quality and quantity of these menu offerings. We will also reconsider the number of television channels that we offer in our guest rooms. Thank you again for the review and I hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again in the future.

San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Overall the Monaco Hotel Portland is nice.

Mistakes happen even at finest hotel

I rented two rooms for great away weekend with another couple 4/1 -> 4/4

Our room was fine

Traveling companion's room was not cleaned properly

They did not want to repack and move

Hotel did send someone in to clean trash out of closet and whiskers out of sink

"For inconvenience" hotel waived local phone charges....get real ,,,,that is almost insulting.

You really think someone staying at an (quote) 4 star hotel does not have and use a cell phone?

Maybe waiving parking (which was very pricey for downtown Portland at $38 per night ) or comping breakfast would have been more appropriate?

Maybe they treat guests booked directly with their website better (we had a discounted rooms booked Orbitz that we found on Link from Trip Adviser) )

Happened to run into a couple of managers in elevator on way to check out and mentioned our friend's dirty room. All they did was note the room number. No apology or anything.

I will not go be going back to this Kimpton property.

Management does not understand what they are selling is an experience - not just shelter for the night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review and for the comments about the cleanliness of your friends' guestroom. This is unacceptable. I apologize for the inaction and lack of apology on the part of the managers that you encountered in the elevator. I agree that offering complimentary phone calls is not appropriate restitution and I will bring your comments to the attention of our staff.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

i don't think i've ever stayed at a kimpton hotel before. i went to portland for 2 nights and was really quite impressed with the hotel monaco. i snagged an amazing online deal for paying in full >30 days in advance, and could not believe what was included in that price once i arrived. i had not asked for anything special (although they emailed me a week in advance to see if i had any particular requests) but upon check-in, i was told that i was upgraded to a suite. i wasn't sure why, other than having registered (for free) on the kimpton rewards program (or whatever it's called). this gets you free wifi and $10 worth of treats from the mini-bar.

the suite was amazing - 9th floor, 2 huge rooms with 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, multiple couches and chandeliers, a huge whirlpool tub. really quite decadent. the decorations were crazy and mismatched but i guess that's a characteristic feature of these hotels. i was terrified i'd lose something due to the sheer size of the room.

the nightly happy hour is really a nice little treat -- it was fun to wander down the street, pick up some food cart grub, and then wander back to the hotel for a few complimentary drinks. they have a morning coffee hour as well, but i was never up early enough for that.

location was great - definitely walking distance within everything in downtown portland, including shopping, symphony, art museum, several pods of food carts, and powells.

one of my biggest goals for this portland trip was also to figure out who has the best donuts in all of portland. the staff at the front desk guided me away from voodoo and toward blue star donuts which is within walking distance from the hotel on the same street -- nice call, guys! truly fantastic, mind-blowing donut.

i would definitely stay at the hotel monaco again. i felt very spoiled by their staff and everyone was super kind and friendly. (i think this is how all portlanders are, but still!).

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I am glad that you had an excellent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. Thank you for joining our guest loyalty program, Kimpton In Touch. I'm happy to read that our front desk upgraded you to one of our Grand Suites. That must have been a nice surprise! I agree that VooDoo and Blue Star are excellent. We're lucky to have such great donut shops so close to us (although our waist lines are probably not thanking us). Thanks again for staying with us and I hope we'll see you next time you come down to Portland.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is my most favorite hotel EVER. I will never stay anywhere else in Portland. The staff are very helpful, welcoming, and knowledgeable. The suites are large, comfortable, and decorated in a funky, charming, artsy style. Nothing boring or generic here! I love the high ceilings. The nightly wine, opulent lobby, and morning coffee and hot chocolate are lovely. Being pet friendly is a big plus for me, although I don't travel with a pet. I walked everywhere. An awesome find.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
It's very exciting to be your most favorite hotel ever. Thank you! I loved reading the nice comments about our staff, location, and decor. I hope you'll find a pet to travel with soon.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!