“I can't rave about this hotel enough...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 35%
Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Sydney, Australia
“I can't rave about this hotel enough...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights here from new year's day. For a hundred dollars a night, it was simply luxurious. Huge room and bathroom and incredibly comfortable bed.
Tip: join up as a Kimpton member when you book through the hotel website (it's free) as we were upgraded immediately on check-in.
A few days before we even got there, the hotel sent us an email just asking us if there was anything we needed. They made us feel welcome before we even got there. The hotel is located in downtown Portland and the location was great, we were able to walk around very easily. Valet parking, easy. The decor is bright, patterned and colourful, definitely not your average bland hotel with no personality. It gave it a lot of warmth. Complimentary drinks are held in the evening foyer every night and though we didn't join in, it was buzzing every time we walked past. The staff had everything we needed that we had forgotten and it was all complimentary - sewing kit, nail polish remover, clippers etc. We even got a $10 credit to the mini bar although the expiry date of some of the items in the basket need to be checked! I will definitely stay here again if I'm ever lucky enough to be able to come back and visit Portland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for the great tripadvisor review. You're right - joining Kimpton In Touch, our guest loyalty program, is a great tip. Kimpton In Touch members all receive complimentary wireless internet access and a $10 Raid the Mini Bar card each time they stay at a Kimpton Hotel. Thank you for the positive feedback about our location, valet parking, decor, and staff. We certainly hope you have the opportunity to visit Portland again (and hopefully when the weather's warmer).

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We got a deal on hotwire to stay here 2 nights in Jan 2013. The room is stylish and comfortable. The king size bed is amazing that we had such great sleep here. The entire hotel is decorated very thoughtfully. The location is convenient for restaurants hopping and tax-free shopping in downtown. Highly recommended for anyone visiting Portland, it's definitely one of the best in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Two days of tax-free shopping in Portland? Doesn't get much better than that! I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated our location and decor. Hopefully we'll see you next time you're in Portland.

Keller, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

when i saw that this hotel was rated the number one hotel in portland here on tripadvisor i was excited that i was able to get such a good deal on hotwire. when we arrived, i was surprised by how relaxing the room was even though the decor was definitely eclectic. but it all worked so well together and everything was clean and bright in the room. we got a corner king room and it was definitely worth the extra i paid. floor to ceiling windows on two walls plus in the bathroom as well. i love all the light we got even on some of the overcast days we were there. we stayed four nights and didn't have any problems. the bed was very comfortable and we had plenty of space to move around. we were on the second floor so we had some street noise, but it didn't bother us. for light sleepers you may want a higher floor. the bathroom was spacious with lots of counter space for my girl stuff. the toiletries were by c.o. bigelowe which i've used before and is a fan of. coffee and hot tea bar every morning was awesome for the brisk weather outside and the evening wine reception was cool too. it was too cold to ride the bikes that they rent out, but next time it would definitely be something i want to take advantage of. the location was really good, close to the max and several bus stops. also several restaurants and attractions within walking distance.

Room Tip: get a corner king for lots of windows and light!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that your experience matched your expectations! It's great that you had an opportunity to stay in one of our Corner King rooms - they're so light and bright. Thank you for the feedback about our evening wine hour and location. Maybe next time you stay with us the weather will be better and you'll be able to take our complimentary bikes out for a spin!

Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great experience at the Hotel Monaco in Portland. The staff was fantastic. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and designed with just the right measure of panache. Excellent location next to everything downtown Portland.

Room Tip: I had the corner room king and thought it was a great room. The traffic in the early morning was a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review and for the positive comments about our staff, guest rooms, and location. Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to come and stay with us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We came for a lady gaga concert and the hotel staff went above and beyond from the moment we arrived. From helping get extra safty pins, to running our phone to us at the train stop and saftly leaving them for us in our room with a note so we would not loose them. I have never had such great staff! They also had great touchs like the cocktail hour, painting in the lobby, the amazing piano player and food at 2 am! This says nothing about the great beds, the decorations and amazing location. Not to be missed! They made our weekend! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for the tripadvisor review and for making Hotel Monaco your home-base for the Lady Gaga concert. Our staff certainly enjoyed watching the Little Monsters head out for their show all dressed up. I appreciate your comments about our staff and evening wine reception and I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend with us.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We came to Portland for a concert and girls' weekend and chose to stay at the Monaco because of their complementary bikes and excellent location. We never got around to using the bikes but have made great use of many other aspects of the hotel, from the funky lobby for a pre-show photo shoot to the parking garage to the workout room. All along the way, the staff has gone out of their way to go above and beyond. Literally, Todd even ran down to the train stop to give us our phone we had left at the counter, only to then take it to our room for us when we decided it best to not take it to the concert. They brought safety pins for costume needs, gave directions and advice, and even took our photos for us. Oh, and did I mention Happy Hour? Thanks Nikki, Todd, Ben, piano man, of course Spencer and so many other awesome employees for making this trip ROCK! Your hotel is amazing :)

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
A girl's weekend and a concert? That sounds like fun! I'm glad the Living Room lobby worked for your pre-concert photos and that our staff was able to assist you with the group shots. Thank you for the great comments about Nicci, Todd, Ben, and Spencer. I will be sure to pass your review on to them and to thank them personally. Hopefully we'll see you again soon for your next girl's weekend.

Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

OK, so I have reviewed this property before. But last night ( or more properly, approximately 2:17 this morning ) a fire alarm went off. This is every persons fear, and it became a reality to me. Seeing staff react in this situation shows just what a facility is.

The Facts: I'm sound asleep, and the alarm comes on stating that a fire had been noted on the floor, and that I needed to leave via a stairwell. I'm on the top floor (10), and it's freezing out. First thought - someone got drunk and pulled the alarm. Well, my rational mind said that there was not a sports team or performer staying there and it was a cold Monday night after a cloudy, drizzly, snowy day. So I got up, got dressed and headed for the stairwell.

The stairwell had a great deal of water pouring down, leading me to believe that there was a fire on the roof. Ultimately, it turned out to be a steam line from the boiler, or something to that event. Old or new, buildings will have issues, and this property seems to be extremely well maintained so its not like it was caused by overt neglect or disrepair. It happened. Once we could return to our rooms my question became "How are they going to handle this?"

My situation was unique, in that I had no appointments this morning. Upon being woken by my phone, I realized the room was freezing (no hot water to heat the air to warm the rooms). Obviously, no hot water. How are they going to handle this? Well, the staff acted professionally from the beginning - here's the breakdown.

The night manager communicated with every guest, letting them know exactly what he did. He did this factually and pleasantly, while staying in constant contact with firemen and his own maintenance staff. He apologized, told us not to worry and that they would have this resolved as soon as was possible. The very instant it was determined to be a maintenance item and not a fire or injury risk, and with the approval of the fire fighters, he immediately announced our ability to return to our rooms safely and apologized for the inconvenience (I was near enough to hear all the radio calls and discussions). He absolutely had our best interests and concerns in mind.

At daylight, I called about the heat and my concerns were noted and addressed. I was immediately offered a room at three sister property, or even just a shower if desired. I was again apologized to with no excuses. In fact, both on the phone and in person I was met with a smile, an answer and an offer.i again declined, and noted my appreciation.

So at days end the test would come. After completing work I returned, and casually asked if anything was being done. I had occasioned this event before at a Ritz Carlton property and nothing was done except for a free glass of wine. Here, I was told in no uncertain terms that they had already addressed it, Pre-emptively credited accounts and addressed any guest concerns. The manager even checked my account without my prompting, and informed me that my night was credited along with my restaurant tab! I was even asked if there was anything else that I requested or required!

As a frequent business traveler, I look for properties that do the right thing. Don't make excuses, and be proactively. That's the Monaco. Great accommodations, great staff and professional in every regard. They certainly went above and beyond in a difficult situation and if nothing else earned my respect and appreciation.

Besides having the most comfortable beds around, what else could you ask?!

• Stayed January 2013
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Oh what a night! I truly appreciate your excellent review of Hotel Monaco Portland on what was a unique and challenging night. In Hotel Monaco’s seventeen years this is the first time we have had a failure of the hot water and heating systems. Thank you so much for the comments about how our staff, and especially our night auditor, handled the situation. I have passed your comments on to him and have thanked him personally for how he managed the early morning fire alarm. I am very happy to read that our staff communicated with you pleasantly and professionally and preemptively credited the cost of a night’s stay and your restaurant bill as well. Thank you so much for the excellent feedback and we will hopefully see you again soon for a more restful night.

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!