“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 132 hotels in Portland
NWT
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had a truly wonderful time at Hotel Monaco, Portland.
Our Monaco King Suite room (804) was spotless, and very comfortable. It was located on the 8th floor, which is hypoallergenic.
The bed was fantastic, and the bathroom modern, with good water pressure.
The decor in the room and throughout the hotel was unique and quite inviting.
The staff from the front door through to the cleaners were very pleasant and helpful.
We attended and enjoyed the evening reception on two out of three nights.
The location of the hotel was great for easily checking out the surrounding neighbourhoods by foot.
The only downside to our trip was when our poor (hotel appointed) Goldin the fish departed this world...The front desk was great about it, and took care of everything. (Strange, but true!)
Will absolutely visit Portland again and will absolutely stay at the Monaco. Can't wait, actually!

Room Tip: Check out Kelly's Bar, just a few doors down for a good selection of draft if it's raining!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I'm pleased to read that you had the opportunity to stay on our hypoallergenic floor! This floor features hepa filter vacuums, gluten free private bar snacks, hypoallergenic toiletries and cleaning products, and gluten free in room dining options. Thank you for joining our evening hosted wine reception and complimenting our decor, location, and staff. I'm so sorry about Goldin but am glad that our front desk staff handled the issue in an appropriate way. I hope you have the opportunity to say with us again soon!

1,999 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Medford, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We called and made a reservation for a queen/queen suite, when we checked in we were properly greeted, taken to the front desk and then our room. It was a dog room on the second floor. We told the bellman that while we really love our dogs, we did not want to be in a room that has housed and smelled of several dogs. No worries, back to the front desk. They had another room on the 7th floor, but it was not ready (we checked in after 5:00pm). The front desk did offer to host us at their restaurant for whatever we wanted. Very nice, we had drinks and an appetizer.

We got to our room and while it seemed okay, I thought that there was no way the beds were queens. My wife and daughter went to shop and I called the front desk and said "The room is okay, but these are not queen beds." I was assured that in fact they were.

We had a great dinner in Portland, and returned to the hotel. When we returned and went to get ready for bed, my wife commented that the beds were not queens, I agreed and again called the front desk, with a response of " oh yes, you're in a queen/queen suite"

Sleepless night, next morning I go down stairs and express our disappointment with our room and the new desk person says "You were in a double/double suite."

We were offered a complementary breakfast and settled for $75.00 off or room bill.

I would say that the staff for the most part was willing to make things right, but on a whole we missed the experience that other reviewers have had, we have stayed at several downtown locations, and this would be our 2nd to last option. I think that for the $$$ spent, we really missed something.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non-dog room, unless you have a dog with you!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you were checked into a Double Double Suite rather than the Queen Queen Suite that you booked. At Hotel Monaco Portland our goal is to honor the details of each room reservation and the miscommunication that you experienced is unacceptable. I will make sure that this does not happen again. I am glad to hear that you were able to have drinks in our restaurant and that the front desk discounted your room rate. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a fun, funky hotel. We had a King Suite which was filled with whimsical furnishings and had plenty of room. The valets at the hotel are attentive and offer up service freely. They get your car promptly and have a wonderful attitude. The front desk staff is equally helpful. The hotel has a wine hour that is complimentary, it is crowded and the wine is limited but it is complimentary so what can be expected. My only "complaint" is the coffee pot is the bathroom and the placement of coffee cups upside down on used coasters is a bit gross, especially when the prior occupants coffee was still in the coffee pot..also the housekeeping staff didn't fully make up our room...housekeeping is an important component of a stay. The bed was comfortable and the room included the cute animal print robes...work on the cleanliness and I'll give it 5 stars!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the positive comments about our valets and front desk staff. I am very sorry about the housekeeping issues that you experienced during your stay. Any issues with cleanliness are unacceptable and I will discuss your experience with our housekeeping management. Thank you for your feedback.

Burnaby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The service at the Monaco is excellent . We loved our corner room and were very happy with the concierge and check in service. We enjoyed the wine and beer reception in the funky front lobby and even the dogs were well behaved.
The hotel is in a great location. We did not, however, have a really great meal in Portland this time so will have to do some more research.
The Forktown culinary tour was EXCELLENT. We have become very fond of Portland. Having no sales tax is definitely a plus but not the only reason we visit.

Room Tip: We liked the corner room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed your time at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'll be sure to pass on to our concierge and front desk staff that you had a great stay. Hopefully we'll be able to host you again in the near future!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

You can tell a lot of thought and love went into designing this place in Downtown Portland because it shows. There's so much attention to detail that even the lobby and the towels smell nice. The decor is over the top but somehow gels together in a fun, colourful way. The hotel staff are very friendly as are the cleaning staff; the room servicing was impeccable. I'm a big fan of Portlandia and the concierge was more than helpful in providing a list of film locations to visit. The free happy hour and free bike rental are a plus. The only quibble I have was the free wifi in my room was a bit slow. I got a sale rate which was about the same as The Ace, which looked a bit pokey and low budget in comparison. A very Portland stay.

Room Tip: This hotel allows dogs. Ask to stay on the hypoallergenic floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
It's excellent to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad our concierge was able to assist with your Portlandia tour! I apologize about the slow wireless. I will investigate the cause and make sure it is fixed.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Geat hotel in a location that's close to everything downtown. The hotel is in an older building and the decor was a little different than what we're used to, more mod with bright colors, but it was fun and we liked it. Our king delux room included valet parking which was a real convenience. The room was good sized and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom, although somewhat on the small side, had a great shower with good water pressure (one of my pet peeves in some older hotels). The staff was very friendly and helpful.
One evening we were meeting friends in the lobby and sat there for a while waiting for them to arrive. Someone was playing the piano and there was a fire in the fireplace and couches and comfy chairs everyone. People came in and out meeting friends and checking at the desk A beautiful Yellow Lab sat in a corner, watching everything but not bothering anyone. The whole scene just seemed so homey and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the excellent review. It sounds like you were able to join our hosted evening wine hour, which we host nightly from 5 PM to 6 PM in our Living Room Lobby. I'm glad that you met Timmy, our lobby dog, and that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you next time you're in Portland!
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Monaco for an extended weekend at the end of September, marking our 7th different Kimpton Hotel. As always the service was excellent, check-in was quick and friendly and the various hotel staff members were very helpful.

We booked a King corner room and were a bit disappointed to find out we were only on the Third floor. The room was spacious and comfortable, though I must admit the decor is eclectic in the extreme. There was a fair amount of traffic and street noise well into the night. Normally I would use my Kimpton In-Touch membership to request a room on a higher floor, but I booked through a third party and so wasn't able to take advantage of that benefit.

By far the best part of the Monaco - aside from the lovely wine/cocktails reception in the early evening - is its location. The hotel is literally minutes from many major downtown attractions. We walked to the Saturday Market, enjoyed some Voodoo Doughnuts, and were delighted with the abundance of restaurant choices very nearby.

The spouse is loathe to pay for expensive valet parking, but there is a parking garage at Pine and 4th where we were able to park for the whole weekend (Friday to Sunday) for $18. Once you arrive in Portland, transit is so good that you really don't need the in/out privileges of the valet. The Monaco is very close to the tram line.

All in all, a fantastic weekend at the Monaco.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room on a higher floor to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to read that we had the pleasure of hosting a loyal Kimpton guest and Kimpton In Touch member! I'm glad that you enjoyed our location and service. I am sorry that you experienced street noise on the third floor. Feel free to contact me so that I may personally see to your reservation details when you stay with us in the future.

Craig Thompson

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!