“4 Nights at the Hotel Monaco Portland” 5 of 5 stars

Book Direct: 10% Off!
Ranked #2 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“4 Nights at the Hotel Monaco Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Staff: My trip to Portland was made more enjoyable by the Hotel Monaco staff. I was in town for a convention being held by the University of Oregon and was impressed from the moment I walked through the front door and was greeted by the front desk agent. I had a package shipped directly to the hotel prior to my arrival, and while I was being checked in the agent informed me that my package was available. Each time I had a question or concern the staff was quick to answer/resolve with a smile.

Amenities: The lobby area to the right of the entrance is spacious and welcoming. They have a mixer each night from 5-6 with free beer and wine. They had a pianist playing to provide ambiance. One of the additional touches that I found family friendly was that they have a tv set up with a Wii, crayons & coloring books, and an easel and paint to keep the children entertained. They provide free wi0fi if you sign up for their loyalty program which was nice. The workout facility has newer equipment that was all in working condition. The cable channels were different, and more abundant in the gym than in the hotel room itself which was a little weird. I do not think they had a pool/sauna which is the only thing that would have made it a complete fitness center. They also offer complimentary "rental" bikes if you have time for it; they ask for a donation of $5 to support the local biking community which is very reasonable.

Pets: This is a pet friendly location. There were several guests walking around with their dogs. They also offer pet goldfish which can be delivered to your room...yes, that is for real.

Room: The rooms were designed and decorated very similar. There was a "living room" area with a tv, sofa with pullout bed, desk, and a stocked mini fridge. There were sliding doors to separate this area from the bedroom which had very comfortable queen beds, and a flatscreen tv on top of a dresser. Everything was clean and well presented.

Food: There is a restaurant downstairs with a direct entrance from the lobby. From the outside it looked like a relaxed local pub but once inside it was more of an upscale dining restaurant. If you are looking for a nice sit down dinner it may be fine, but we were not looking for a $20 burger so we asked the front desk for some local suggestions and they recommended a couple brewpubs and the "pods" (food trucks/carts) that are two blocks north; we ate at the pods for 4 days and was able to get something completely different each day that tasted incredible.

Cost: I prefer to spend my $$ on activities so at $220+ per night I generally would not stay at a downtown location like the Monaco, but I received a discounted rate of almost 50% off due to the convention I was there for which made it a great deal. Even at the normal full rate it is comparable to other hotels in a downtown area, yet you get more for that amount here than at a Hilton or Westin or Hyatt .

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review. I am so glad you had the chance to stay with us and experience all of the great amenities we offer. It was a pleasure to have your group in the hotel and we look forward to your next stay.

P.S. Now that you are a member of Kimpton InTouch your are eligible for all kinds of great rates at all of our properties around the United States. Happy Travels!

Warmly,

Hotel Monaco Portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Just came back from a comfy and classy stay at Hotel Monaco. Loved the decor throughout the entire hotel and the spacious room. Very soft pillows and linens. Great nightly happy hour in lobby. Staff was beyond professional and courteous. Pet friendly, but if no pets you stay on the hypo-allergenic floor and can get a free goldfish in your room for your stay--cute amenity!! Food at the Red Star restaurant next door was amazing, though not for those on a budget.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Monaco and were entirely satisfied with every aspect. Our family of four (two teen daughters) were very comfortable in the King Premier Suite which was discounted a little with a promo we found on their web site. The other recent reviews were accurate in their assessment of the service and facility so I won't repeat, but we even took advantage of their offer to provide a temporary pet during out stay...an adopted goldfish the girls call "Freddy". The hotel provided the fish bowl, Freddy, and took care of the daily feeding. A nice "home-like" touch during our stay! We always try to search out Kimptons and have yet to be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit here at the Monaco Portland. I am also glad to hear that Freddy was a great roommate. I hope that you will be back to see us (and Freddy) in the future.

Warm Regards,

Longview, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This is by far one of the best hotels I have stayed in. It is situated Downtown Portland and is within walking distance of everything Portland has to offer. The decor is lovely, the staff are so friendly and seem to go out of their way to make sure your needs are met. The rooms are luxurious right down to the feather pillows! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New Westminster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

very comfortable, service was great and location for downtown was perfect. We'd definitely stay there next time we're in Portland.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We got a great deal on our recent stay because the hotel matched a cheap internet rate. They then inquired if it was a special event which it was (my birthday) so, not only did they comp the $33/day parking fee but left a lovely bottle of champagne in our room. They couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating, from the well provided-for fitness room to the umbrellas for the inevitable rain. There's a little wine/beer hour with live piano player every night. Our room (a corner king) was large with a huge and lovely bathroom. Bed could have been a bit firmer but linens were beautiful. Perfect location in downtown PDX.

Room Tip: Join Kimpton affinity program for best deal!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband and I travel often, both for business and pleasure, and have stayed in most every hotel chain available. For this short trip we took the advice of some friends and decided to try the Hotel Monaco. What a pleasurable experience. From the time we made the reservation until the time we checked out, we were made to feel special. When we checked in, the front desk clerk was exceptional. We had booked a king room, but were pleased that we had been upgraded to a suite. Remember that this was our first visit to this hotel as well as any Kimpton Hotel. She noted that we had requested extra towels when we made our reservation and made sure that they had been delivered to our room. She also asked if we had forgotten any personal items, which my husband had, and gladly provided him with what he needed. As we had missed the complimentary wine hour, she also offered us a bottle of wine to take to our room.

Our room was wonderful. The bedroom area closed off from the small sitting area, which for us was great as my husband often works late or early in the morning. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was appointed nicely. Even though we were on the street side of the hotel, traffic noise was minimal.

Room service was wonderful. Personnel were friendly and the food was delivered quickly and was quite tasty. The restaurant that is associated with this hotel was great for either a quick bite or a full meal.

We will be looking to stay in another Kimpton Hotel soon. If they are all as wonderful as the Hotel Monaco in Portland, they will have our business whenever possible.

Our only issue, the cost of parking, and this doesn't pertain to just this hotel. I know that this is a trend in large cities, but I sure wish that there was some other arrangement for hotel guests. I'd almost wish that they added it to the cost of the room when quoting price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your fantastic comments to our staff. When booking in the future I would recommend asking reservations for packages and promotions that include complimentary parking.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Portland.

Hotel Monaco Portland

Been to Hotel Monaco Portland - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!