“Great airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Florida
“Great airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Convenient location for an overnight stay near the airport; easy access; on demand shuttle service to the airport.

Room Tip: Nice arrangement for a family as the bathroom is between the bedroom and living room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My family stayed at this Embassy Suites at the beginning and then again at the end of our family vacation in Oregon. The rooms were as we expected and were nice and clean. The location was very convenient to the airport. Front desk and housekeeping staff were helpful. Manager's reception was nice. The pool was basic but my kids enjoyed swimming there.
The first stay we were on the south side of the hotel and noise was not an issue. The second stay we were on the north side and the noise from the highway and the airplanes woke us frequently. If you're a light sleeper...ask for north.
Breakfast at the Embassy Suites was more than adequate, but on the weekends they seemed terribly understaffed. Tables did not get cleared so there was no place to sit and the buffet was often out of plates or specific food items. On week days this wasn't a problem.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

stayed there 4 days with my family for my friend wedding. i have to say WOW ,the ballroom decorated very beautiful for my friend's wedding .Love it when after the wedding party i just walking to my room. They give u everything u forgot .,like combs,razer. They brough it to my door room with a smile. the room was very clean and nice .friendly staffs. i had a good time with all my old friend and my family . the hotel is close to kids museum, zoo, markets...restaurant .hot breakfast with no charge. whats else you want more ? i love this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
little rock arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I'm an Embassy fan. I like their suite arrangement for my family and I really like their cook to order breakfast. The facility is beautiful. We also got some great late night food from the bar. The stay was fine but had a couple real minor things happen. I have a Hilton card and a history of stays at Embassies so I thought on a Sunday morning when I saw my family dragging after a late night flight and late check-in, that a request for "a few minutes later check-out" would at least be met with an hour extension; however, I received a flat out "no". The other thing was that not only do they not offer free papers but no newspapers were even available for sale in the gift shop. Sorry to be negative about this really nice hotel but when you are traveling and paying a fair amount, you hope for some pretty good service and help.

panama city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed 2 days at the Embassy and I loved the location. The highway is just down the street as well as the airport. There is major traffic to the downtown area at 3:00 but the downtown area is safe and fun to go shopping at. The hotel is nice and quiet and very clean. We loved the made to order omelets each morning. The airport is only 2 min. away.

medford or
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Overall, a solid stay, solid experience. You'll no doubt have the same experience if you go in with the right expectations.

First, it is a chain hotel, so it will definitely feel that way. As I've noted in other reviews of other properties, no traveler should be caught off guard by this. If you don't want chain, book a boutique, even if it costs more because you can't use a 3rd party opaque website to "land" a price-chopped hotel.

Second, it is an ES property, so go in knowing that there's going to be a fake indoor waterfall in the Atrium with Koi fish swimming in the fake waterfall creeks and ponds. Again, there should never be a surprised traveler in this regard, unless it is a traveler who has never been to an ES and doesn't research websites (like TA) where he / she is going to stay.

I'd have to agree with some of the other reviews that the room was a bit dated. You could tell where some light updating had been done (big flat screen LG TVs for example), but not completely renovated (counter tops, shower surround, etc). So if you go in knowing that you're going to get "old-school" Corian counters instead of granite or marble, you should be fine (Formica counters for the 'mini-bar / kitchenette' area).

Overall, our room was nice, even though out-dated in some regards. Everything was clean, and a big pet-peave of mine is carpets...in the case of our ES stay, carpets were clean. The whole room clean. And like any ES, rooms nice and spacious.

Our room faced airport runway side, but noise wasn't a problem. At times, when a larger jet took off, there was some...but nothing bad, and the kids LOVED watching the action.

No problems with room service not getting to our room for servicing...but perhaps this is just because of my personality, being proactive, and what I always do with any hotel stay....(1) upon leaving my room I call housekeeping or front desk and say "we're stepping out, please have our room serviced"...(2) and then leave a small tip. These two things have proven helpful over hundreds of hotel stays.

No problems with parking lot security and my car and belongings. I just always lock it up tight, even if I am parked right in front of hotel entrance. Never had a forceful entrance, thanks to that practice.

I do agree that charging for internet in this day and age seems strange...but I'd say about half to three quarters still do. The last Westin, Hilton, and Marriott I stayed at did, so it's not a unique evil trait of the ES. But yeah, I wish none of them charged.

Other than that, good stay ES.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Our stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel Portland-Airport was grand, until we were checked out and our rental car was parked right in front of the Embassy Suites, in front of the revolving doors by the front entry. Our new computer and carry-on was stolen from the trunk of our car where it was parked in front of the door to the entry of the hotel. The Embassy Suites manager was sorry it happened, but BEWARE when at the hotel because they NO NOT PROVIDE ANY OUTSIDE SURVEILLANCE for anyone parked right by the hotel entrance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Portland-Airport? Share your experiences!