“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Shanghai, China
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great location, a medium-length walk to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. The hotel itself is nice and clean, the staff is very friendly, etc, etc - pretty much what you would expect for a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for this review. Portland is such a great city to experience and our hotel has one of the best locations in the city. The key is to know where all the best neighborhoods and shopping spots are located. If you decide to visit Portland again I would like to recommend that you contact our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador. He will help plan out your entire trip for you. He can make shopping and restaurant recommendations and give you great ideas on what to do in order to make your visit a truly memorable one. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was here for the Portland Half Marathon. I stayed in the Courtyard last time but decided to try this Marriott this year. Staff was friendly and the hotel looks clean. I was given a room at the end of the hall near the fire exit. It was surprisingly quiet even though I was next to the laundry room as well (I guess people who stay there don't usually do their own laundry). The executive lounge is your average north american lounge.

Location was nice, very close to downtown area and I enjoyed being able to walk around. There is a really good sushi restaurant just a few meters from the hotel. It is also close to the trams which made it easy for me to get around and go to the running expo. I'm not a big fan of shopping but this area is filled with shopping malls and retail stores.

Overall, nothing above the standard on this hotel. You get what you expect from a typical Marriott brand, but the location is good. I would go here again since it is a safe bet, but probably try the other hotels first.

Room Tip: I got a regular room that was close to the fire exit and guest laundry room, which was surprisingly...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and thank you for choosing our hotel this year. I am happy to hear that you were able to experience a little bit of Portland. The city of Portland has so much to offer anyone that decides to visit and our Marriott is a great place to stay because of our central location.

I would like to invite you to stay with us again on your next trip to Portland. Feel free to contact us prior to your next visit so that we can help you plan your next stay. Thank you again and we hope to see you again.
Bismarck
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights here recently and was amazed by how quiet my room was at night. Great black-out blinds, too. The view from my room was beautiful. In the evenings when I had a few free hours, I was within walking distance from everything I wanted to see, including the waterfront, Powell's Books, Mills End Park, Voodoo Doughnuts and more. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I hope to stay here again on my next trip in August.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
I am happy to read that you had such a great time in Portland and at our hotel. I am always thrilled to find out when our guests decide to get out and really explore the City of Portland. Portland has so much to offer us all and in so many ways.

Please feel free to contact our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador upon your next arrival with us. He will be more than happy to assist you with any trip planning which will make your stay even more enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I really wished it didn't come down to this as I was giving you guys the benefit of the doubt that you would do the right thing (after waiting for 3 mths to hear back about the incident) but I guess I have to voice myself so others are aware. We stayed at your hotel from Friday April 18th to the 21st 2014 and paid the $37/night valet fee only to have our brand new BMW with less than 6000kms on the clock damaged by your reckless and careless valet company. I'm a pretty straight up guy, and have no problems accepting fault if I were to damage my own vehicle and I can tell you EVERY single scratch/dent that exists on the vehicle so I would definitely know if the side skirt was damaged as much as it was, but now this has become all about principle and being accountable if you are offering to provide other people a service. For you to now claim that we damaged it ourselves is beyond ridiculous when I clearly know it was damaged by one of the valet staff. We were surprised when we got the vehicle back that the trip computer was indicating only 6kms left on the fuel tank (I never let it run that low) and that was just the start that something wasn't quite right. And to claim that the vehicle is parked underground surprises me when it comes back which a whole bunch of dried up leaves,etc all over it indicates to me that it was outdoors for a lengthy amount of time. We did make an incident report with Marriott corporate on the the day it occurred, and I will definitely be escalating this matter further.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
pdxct, General Manager at Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Portland Marriott City Center, we sincerely appreciate all of our guests feedback, and are certainly apologetic our actions have not met your expectations.
We take every concern of a guest very seriously, and in this case, immediately made contact with you outlining the insurance protocols in place. Following which, we submitted all hotel records to our insurance; the insurance company being the party which would make a determination in your case. Please be assured only facts, records, and photos (including those of our underground secured garage), are ever entered into any claim; never any opinion.
I understand this has been a lengthy process. When a car is in the care of the hotel, we take extreme measures to ensure vehicles are returned in the same condition we receive them. In that effort, we do have a secured hotel only garage, highly trained valet staff, and we walk around a guest vehicle when we receive it to note damage (or lack of); doing the same when the vehicle is returned to the guest. We invite guests to walk around their cars with us prior to returning possession to them. Due to all these processes, if possession of a vehicle is accepted and later damage reported, this may slow the resolution process of that situation. Please understand, at this time, the hotel has taken very action available; our insurance company will continue to make efforts to bring this situation to resolution as quickly as possible.
Without regard to liability or fault, we are saddened to learn of any damage to your vehicle and the negative effect this could take on your travels. We genuinely enjoyed hosting your family during your travels in Portland, and I invite you to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance. Safe travels and take care ~
Fort Pierce, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is located in downtown and within easy walking distance of the waterfront and many local attractions. We were staying here as part of a bus tour, I don't know what the rates were but the room we had was great-plenty of space, good bed and pillows and the bathroom was away from the sleeping area. The room was very quiet. Getting around town from here was very easy. We had a very good continental breakfast each morning (2) we were there and the security is very good. I would stay here again if going back to Portland.

Green Features: Recycling trash baskets in the room for paper, plastic, cans and glass (all in 1 basket).
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. I am so happy to find that you had such a great time in Portland. Portland Marriott City Center is one of the most centrally located hotels in the Downtown Portland area and if you want to get out and have fun, then we are the hotel for you.

We hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you again for choosing Portland Marriott City Center.
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The good news: Excellent downtown location, large rooms, good beds, quiet (all VERY important). The bad: Our room had a view of a dirty wall of an adjacent building (about 30 feet away) and air conditioning equipment. This is definitely the worst view of any hotel that I've seen. One other issue: no (ATT) cell service in our room (fine in lobby). Parking is off site...but very good valet service.
This said, the staff are very courteous, the hotel is clean and nice. Would return, but would ask about where the room is situated (and about cell service).

Room Tip: Ask about the view, if you care; otherwise you may be looking out at a wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
pdxct, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All of this information is extremely valuable to us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotels great location, room size and quality service. I do apologize for the lack of view in your room.

I would like to invite you to stay with us again in the near future so that we may be given the opportunity to show you what we are capable of. Please feel free to contact our hotel in advance to make any requests that you may have. You are also more than welcome to request the services of our Guest Satisfaction Ambassador and he will be more than happy to work with you on your next stay in Portland. We hope to see you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This downtown hotel is what you would expect from Marriott. Clean, comfortable, helpful staff. Very comfy bed with lots of pillows. Small bathroom. Great location. Don't be surprised by $37/night for parking. Nice fitness room with newer equipment (but please provide cups for water they are bigger than a thimble.)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing this review. I am happy to find that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does have one of the best locations in the city and I am thrilled that you recognize that. Whether you are staying with us for business or leisure, you cannot go wrong with Portland Marriott City Center.

Also, thank you for alerting us about the size of our beverage cups in the lobby. We are now providing slightly larger cups. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.

Been to Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!