“Great hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #46 of 132 hotels in Portland
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is a clean updated property in a central location of the city. Great customer service, friendly front desk, and nice sized rooms. I would definitely stay again. Only drawback is the cost of the valet and the size of the concierge lounge. Other than that, it is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: request a corner room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This wasn’t the nicest Marriott I’ve stayed at. Was just there for less than 10 hours so it didn’t matter to me. I got a conference rate of $189/night (plus tax) and didn’t think it was really worth it. We moved to the Hilton the next day and thought it was better.

The bad: No free wifi. Location is right downtown, but seems to have a lot of loiterers outside the front door. As a result they LOCK the lobby at night. We had to ring the doorbell to get them to let us check in. View from the room was really ugly interior mechanical roof--about as unappealing city view that you could get. And I paid $200/night for this?

The good: rooms have been recently upgraded. Really good beds, nice linens, super duper pillows, attractive interior. Good bathroom. No lobby to speak of.

Location: Very close to the Pioneer Square North stop, only a $2.35 ride to the PDX airport. How convenient does it get?

Would I stay there again: No. It seems overpriced (even at the discounted conference rate) and uninteresting. I'd rather spend more for a place I really liked or find something cheaper.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel from Aug 02 - 05, 2013.
Upon arriving, the street was pretty congested and made it difficult to pull up to the hotel. We had to stop half way in the middle of the intersection in order for valet to take our vehicle.
The hotel was clean and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Check in was completed quickly.

The room was nice (the view not so great). The beds were very comfortable, which is always a bonus. We didn't spend much time in the room or the hotel, but we were pleased with the overall experience.

The location was great, close to some great restaurants, shopping, etc. The valet staff were very helpful with suggestions on things to do and places to eat.

NOTES: I understand that location is important, but felt it was overpriced for the facilities. I've stayed in similar hotels for half the price. Also, the valet parking is $35 per day, which is pricey as well in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My GPS had trouble finding this hotel, coming from the Amtrak station, which isn't far. And I was surprised at how many twenty-something's were just milling around on the area street corners, dressed in their short, black, clubbing dresses, as if they were standing around outside the clubs, but I didn't see any clubs. I did have to dodge a few careless pedestrians. When I finally pulled up to the hotel, the valets told me that the expensive $36 valet was the only parking option. I'm pretty sure there must have been other options, but it must be the best kept secret.

Hotel lobby seemed a bit cramped, but check in was friendly and fast. Their new card entry system requires you to physically touch your key card to the black buttons on the doors and elevators.

My room was large and comfortable.

I went to the business center to print my boarding pass, sat at the open computer, and after a few futile attempts realized that this computer was not hooked up to the printer. And a bit of a line had developed for the one other computer that was hooked up to the printer.

My friend and I next headed to the restaurant, DEN. It was not busy at all; in fact, I think there was only one other couple there, and they were in the bar. I ordered my usual clam chowder and salad. I love clam chowder and order it at restaurants all over North America, just to make comparisons. I'm sorry to say it took very long to come out and this was very, very bad clam chowder. First, it's more like a fish and vegetable soup than a clam chowder. And second, one of the ingredients used had clearly turned. It was inedibly sour. It didn't make me sick, but I could only eat about two bites. Fortunately, the waitress noticed how little I ate and took the charge off my bill when she learned the reason why. My friend's French onion soup looked much better. The salad I ordered was only room temperature, so it seemed very bland. We did not get the bread on the table refilled.

Back in the room, the bed was very high, which might be a problem for shorter people. But the room was clean and comfortable. Because Portland is Eco-conscious, downtown is not particularly well lit, so the view wasn't spectacular.

In the morning, I called ahead of time for the valet, and it was promptly waiting curbside. The valets were all very helpful and nice. I had just enough time to buy a bottled water in the nook next to the front desk and easily got into my car.

Given the problematic driving in on a Saturday night, the required expensive valet, the printer issue, the restaurant issue, it wasn't a great stay. My biggest regret, though, was that I think the total was about $300, (since I prepaid, I didn't get a receipt), and I was there for less than 12 hours. That was a big waste of money for so little time there. I slept ok, but everything else was a bust. And for just a night's sleep, I could have done that just about anywhere.

This was a multi-city trip, and I stayed at a variety of hotels in Portland, Seattle, and Victoria. Perhaps it was just poor planning on my part, but Ironically, the Marriott was the most expensive, the only one at which I am actually member, but the one I liked the least. I wish I had liked it more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Modera and loved that hotel - only problem was its location when you were in the busy schedule. So we decided to stay in the middle of the downtown. The check in went smoothly and we could check in about 12 noon, which was great as I just picked up my son back country camping in Alaska that morning. We could get the "sky view" room. The room was big, clean, bright and airy. The bathroom was clean but nothing else to talk about.

We were on the 7th floor, and no street noises or noise from other rooms.

Although the hotel does not offer anything special (of course it offers good service, and clean bright airy room), the location is the biggest attraction to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I picked the corner king suite and asked for a high floor. Great view of portland. The bwd is super comfy. The hotel is steps away from all the major Tri-met trains, buses, and trolley. That is probably the best part. It made it so easy to get around to see the city.

• Stayed August 2013
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a solid clean hotel right in the heart of downtown Portland. Although it has 20 floors, it has a small footprint, so the lobby is not huge or grand. The bar on the second floor is small. The good thing is that you dont have to walk far to get to your room off the elevator. The bathrooms are small, but the rooms are nice. Plenty of restaurants close to the hotel. This is a good hotel for business travelers. You have to valet park your car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!