“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Chicago
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked 3 nights at this hotel on a 3rd party site and were pleased. This hotel was 2 blocks from the train that we took in from the airport. We were able to walk everywhere all weekend long. The front desk staff was knowledgeable and friendly. One of the front desk girls recommended Thai Peacock for dinner on Friday and it was delicious. She also recommended this free walking tour that met at Pioneer square that gave us a nice overview of the city and the tour guide was quite entertaining. ( FYI-Last tour of the season was Sun the 21st of October and will resume in the spring) The hotel is clean and all the staff was friendly. We did request 2 double beds but they were sold out when we checked in and they said that it not guranteed when you use 3rd party sites. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this hotel when in Portland. We also booked a wine tour of the Wilamette Valley with Mary and her company Winedirt. She picked us up from the hotel and took us to 4 wineries that she likes. The staff at each winery welcomed Mary as if she was part of their family and returning home for a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

booked for a weekend in portland and seems like all the attractions are in the dowtown and surrounding areas (such as The Pearl and Old Town/Chinatown etc). GREAT location and price was decent when booking online. Staff was friendly and helpful. However when we booked we requested a double bed, and upon check-in discovered our accomodations were for single bed. The front desk told us that because we booked using a 3rd party they could not guarantee the # of beds, etc. Disappointing as the hotel did not try to accomodate our request (but understood). Otherwise was clean and staff made good recommendations for coffee and food. If you're intersted in doing a wine tour (either the Gorge or the Willamette Valley) would HIGHLY recommend Mary Studt's winedirt.com tour! Amazing. Unfortunately, could not find her on this site, otherwise would rave about it directly. GREAT value (checked a couple of other tours) and Mary is def an expert in the field with years of knowledge. Did the Willamette tour of 4 wineries. Price included a pick-up from our hotel, entrance and tasting fees and lunch! And Mary is well liked and known so we got 1st class treatment on all of our visits. Don't pass up a wine tour while in town and again check out winedirt.com

Farmington, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed one night only, but room was very nice and meets the Marriott standards. Very quiet considering the central busy location. Great location in the middle of all downtown shopping and sites. Would definitely stay again. The valet parking at $32 is a bit pricey.

Room Tip: My street facing room was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was able to get a weekend special rate here, and I loved the hotel. The location was outstanding and the room and service were top notch. Can't go wrong staying here. Enjoyed the bar here. Breakfast, though, was only so-so

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Mt Hood
Stateline, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Good location near the city center. But easy walking or running to anywhere near the area.

Clean hotel. Rooms were good and the staff was great.

Concierge lounge clean, well stocked with typical beverages and AM/PM foods

Not much to say, your typical Marriott.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Let me begin by saying that when I arrived it was the day of the Portland Marathon. I also did arrive early. However, that's as much credit as I dare give.

Dropped the car and stopped at the front desk, who took my AG and directed me to the second floor. The clerk mentioned that I could ang out in the lounge and work on their wifi. However, upon arriving I was told that the entire floor (lounge and the restaurant) was booked for a private function. I was directed to the third floor business lounge, but that was closed and needed a key!

Back to the front desk I went, and was given a key and the password for the wifi. I took up residence, thinking how dd it was that the third floor and all the conference rooms and ballrooms were vacant, yet the small lounge and restaurant were booked!

Finally got to check in, and went to the room. Sadly, these rooms are not what you would expect in a king suite (a term that truly means nothing anymore). The bed was truly comfortable, but the amenities were sparse. There was a decent 'fridge, but no place to heat anything. Truly not what you would expect. The ac was a wall unit, that blew cold air and wasntvtoo objectionally loud.

the rest room, well, it was adequate yet problematic. if you we're standing at the sink you could not clse the bathroom door, and if fully open, you could not sit normally, we'll, on the "throne". You had to either sit sideways or go all the way in, close the door and then take up residence. This became .a major inconvenience at night and early in the morning.

Being a concierge reservation, I thought that at least I could enjoy a sack and libation in the lunge. It was to open at 5:00 that evening, and I could make it until then. I arrive at 5:15, but Asa, nothing. It was not open until 6:00+, and had cheese, chicken pieces and cheese. The concierge in residence kept going on about how he was getting his certificate in Pilates, etc.m etc. (that came ff as really attitudinal, which was not intended but I'm leaving it in anyway for emphasis).

I got a recommendation for dinner, which was what should have been expected (read my review on Ringside Fish Market of 10/7). I stopped by later for a snack, to find what he referred to as "cobbler" but was simply warmed Marion berry preserve an- tasty, but needed something to sit on!

The next morning I got up and enjoyed breakfast in the lounge (which turned out to be repeated) - cold processed eggs, sausage, potatoes, commercially produces cereals, yogurt, breads and fruit. Decent, but nothing.

Another evening took me first to the lounge fr a martini. I won't say a shrt our, but certainly not a $10 pour, either. I tried to decide on food and really did not feel like raving the hotel so I tried the restaurant. I was one of two patrons, and tred the "sautéed prawns in Pene pasta and a sde salad. Well, the side salad was some arrugala covered in commercially available Parmesan cheese, ad probably 1/3 of a red onion!

When the main course showed up I was equally unimpressed. As the picture shows, ths s what $25 buys. Flavorless cheese sauce and thee idea f grilled praws. I asked for light sauce and it was swimming; I can only imagine what a normal saucing would be.

Another reviewer suggested that this place needs a makeover. I will go one step farther - if you get a deal and eed a comfy bed, this place works. If you need anything see to provide you comfort needed on a business trip, find another property.

Stayed October 2012
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First time in Portland - we chose the hotel because of location; convenience to public transportation. Our room was very good with a nice view over the city and Park. The staff on the whole were excellent, particularly the Concierge staff. Scott even gave me his cell number in case I had any questions or needed help and Ethan provided great recommendations as well. The staff at the desk made restaurant reservations for us and also gave us tips.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up with a view of the Park
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!