“Best Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portland International Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland International Guesthouse
You added Portland International Guesthouse to your Saves list
2185 NW Flanders Street, Portland, OR 97210 (Northwest District)   |
Ranked #6 of 40 Portland B&B and Inns
Hawaii
“Best Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just stayed solo for a week, echoing what others have said: terrific value, great location, good set-up, relaxing stay. No front desk, you have a room in a shared house, you're given access code to come in when you arrive, & pick up your keys on the bulletin board. Stayed in Room2, on the 2nd floor, next to the TV room, it was near the two shared bathrooms & shared kitchen (cereal, bread/butter/jam, juice, milk); better to be on that floor with my heavy luggage. No car, did sightseeing tours that picked me up--Hub Tours, Evergreen Escapes, & Eat Adventures, and walked a lot. From downtown, I walked back to the house.

The guesthouse was clean, homey, & with fewer rooms, so it's quiet and not crowded. It was a good location--quiet, nice neighborhood, & walkable to the rose garden, restaurants, shops.

Walked up to Rose Garden; then walked to Japanese Garden, then walked trail up to Hoyt Aboretum. Walked to Sterling Coffee Roasters & Ken's Artisan Bakery--both very close; Trader Joe's two driveways away; walked to Dick's Kitchen on 21st Ave--casual, reasonable, very relaxing atmosphere.

The owner was very helpful in responding to my questions. I would highly recommend this place, can't be beat for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shepshed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This place has no reception which is great. A door code was sent to us in advance and when we arrived, after midnight due to a missed connection, it worked perfectly. We were so thankful to be able to get in for the night. The bedroom and shared facilities (lounge, shower/toilets, and kitchen) are high spec and in good condition. Free local calls could be made from the lounge and there was Wi-Fi available. We met one of the owners the next day and he was very friendly and chatty. The location is good, not too far from Burnside for the bus and the JELD-WEN TriMet stop; a little further out from the city centre but still within walking distance and we did a good loop from here out to the St Honore Boulangerie, Lan Su Chinese Garden, Voodoo Donuts, and Powell’s Bookstore. Note that the access is via a slighty hidden recessed side door (our taxi driver could not find it at first).

Room Tip: Once inside, there is a pretty steep staircase to navigate, especally if you are on the top floor. O...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Travelling over Canada and Alaska and arriving in thr pouring rain we easily found our key and room. They have such a good system here that I a surprised other establishments haven't adopted it. Easy to get in then your key is waiting for you. Forgot we got breakfast included....cereals and toast but that's all you will need when exploring the local culinary delights that portland has to offer. Lovely hosts, very pleasant and friendly. Wifi. Great neighbourhood. ..very cool, gay friendly and some great places to eat and drink. Check out the the local happy hours. Only complaint is that we are only here for 2 days. Will definitely stay here should we return to Portland.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This place is inexpensive, superbly located, clean, friendly. Although the bathrooms are shared, there are enough of them so that we never had to compete for access. In fact, we hardly noticed that anyone else was staying there. There is a kitchen equipped with everything you need to prepare a meal - refrigerator, microwave, dishes, etc - and even a bit of cold cereal. There is a Trader Joe's a block away, so it is really easy to prepare your own meals. The neighborhood is great, lots of restaurants and coffee places. Ken's Artesan Bakery is less than a block away. The movie theater is two blocks away. Washington Park is a quick walk. Downtown is less than a half hour walk. The establishment will loan you a parking permit so you can park on the street. We managed to keep our car right in front of the guest house for two days.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We just returned from our second stay at the Guesthouse and are as enthusiastic as we were the first time. It is located in a beautiful section of the city, close to shops, restaurants and public transportation. No need for a car because there is so much within walking distance and the train is a few blocks away. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious and clean. It is great to have a kitchen available, especially with a Trader Joe's right around the corner. What a great place. We wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed on both the third floor and the second floor and found both rooms to be great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Gardner, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at the Portland International Guesthouse for one week while attending The Floral Design Institute. I was a bit apprehensive as I'd never stayed in a guesthouse setting and wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised! My room was clean and comfortable and I felt as through I was home. The hosts were very welcoming and the facility is spotless. The neighborhood is very safe and I didn't need to rent a car. I enjoyed stopping at the many cafes in the morning for a fresh latte and scone before continuing to school. There are fun shops and wonderful restaurants in the area. I was never bothered by a busy front desk or hustle bustle upon checking in and departing. The bulletin board in the foyer was an excellent method of communication and if there was a need to speak to the owners, all I had to do was make a phone call. I cannot thank the owners enough for answering my questions before I arrived (it was my first time in Portland) and for their clean and comfortable guesthouse. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Chester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was in Portland for a short weekend and didn't want to splurge on an expensive hotel. Now I'm glad I didn't. The Portland International Guesthouse was wonderful! It felt like a home away from home, and the neighborhood it is in is great for a pedestrian (I didn't rent a car). It's close to the MAX red line, so it was easy to get to from the airport. My room was comfortable and clean (I stayed in Room #2), the bathrooms were cleaned daily and the kitchen was always tidy. The other guests I met were all very nice (I didn't happen to run into the owners and I didn't have to contact them during my trip).

I would highly recommend this as a great alternative to an expensive, impersonal hotel stay. If I visit Portland again in the future I would definitely stay at this guesthouse again.

Room Tip: Room #2 was the perfect size for one person.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Portland International Guesthouse? Share your experiences!