“Surprisingly Great Flavors” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,667 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Pasta, Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Pastini serves over 30 hand-crafted pasta dishes using ingredients from the Pacific Northwest. We opened our first store on NE Broadway in 2001 and now have 8 restaurants in Oregon. Everything is made in-house daily, from our soups to our slow simmered sauces. We offer lunch & dinner, a full bar, local microbrews and an affordable selection of NW and Italian wines.
Redlands, California
“Surprisingly Great Flavors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Some dear friends took us to the Pastini Pastaria on 2027 SE Division in Portland, Oregon. This restaurant had a simple, but pleasant atmosphere. The staff was friendly. The manager was on the front lines when other staff were busy. She took our drink and bread order. She was full of smiles and was glad that we had come.

I had the pasta pomodoro, which was filled with fresh ingredients including the freshest tomatoes. I love strong garlic and could easily taste the garlic in the angel hair pasta. The garlic bread was superb with a great crunch. Each bite had its own unique blend of flavors.

The staff checked on us numerous times to be sure we had enough beverage, that everything tasted OK, and that we had everything that we needed.

This restaurant is a great family dining experience even though it isn't on the high end of prices. I still love the simplicity of the atmosphere and the elegance of the flavors!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Bring a wallet full of money and something to calm the fire in your mouth!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant was highly recommended and what a waste of my time, my money, and and a great deal of pain from hot, hot, hot spicy food. Wow, what a shock when our food came and I could eat not a second bite. I really should say that I couldn't even swallow a first bite because I had to secretly put a napkin to my mouth and spit out each first bite...not daring to swallow it. We went to this restaurant with some friends that said nothing but praise about it. Eight of us went into the restaurant happy and four of us came out hungry with doggy bags for anyone that wanted them. I'm happy that four of our party enjoyed their meal but the remaining four were unhappy. The food was way to spicy and we should have been told about the heat. Our friends said to try the bruschetta classico. We ordered two of them for the eight of us. What a disappointment it was. I was truly expecting a rustic type of grilled bread but what we got was basically wheat colored thin slices of sandwich bread with grill marks. I put some of the spread provided on one slice and that was a mistake. First bite - oh my goodness - my mouth became instantly on fire. My mouth felt as if it burst into flames. No mention on the menu as to the spicy heat of this appetizer! I couldn't swallow it. I drank a lot of water. Now for my main dish... after looking at the prices I ordered the cheapest, spaghetti, never thinking it would be spicy hot. Again fire seemed to burst forth and I gave up eating anything from this restaurant. When all was said and done we ended up spending over $100.00 and still had four hungry people. I will never go to this restaurant again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SusieB_11, Owner at Pastini Pastaria - Southeast Portland, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hello!
I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your meal with your friends! Our Bruscetta Classico appetizer does not use any chili flakes at all, so I'm not sure why you thought it was spicy. The marinated tomatoes and eggplant spread on that dish do have a bit of salt and pepper in the recipe for flavor, but not enough pepper to make them hot, and so we don't mention that they are spicy because they have no ingredients in them to make them spicy. The bread we use for the bruschetta is an organic wheat levain bread made for us by a local artisan bakery here in Portland, Pearl Bakery. We'll make sure that it is being cut correctly, about 3/4" thick. And you mention that you ordered the cheapest spaghetti pasta, which would be our Spaghetti Marinara... and again we do not add anything spicy to that sauce...and indeed we only have two mildly spicy pasta dishes out of 30 on our menu, and they both mention the spicy component so folks who are sensitive are aware of that. Regards, Susie B., co-owner
FB, California
“Don't go there if you want to be treated nicely.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Subject: Pastini Pastaria
Location: 1426 NE Broadway, Portland, Oregon, United States, North America

My husband and I were walking down the street, saw the place and decided to have a nightcap. Went in (the place had one couple at 8pm on a Thursday night) and sat down at the bar. The guy took his time coming over to take our order. I ordered a margarita on the rocks with salt.

"Oh no, no, no, we don't make our margaritas that way- we're ITALIAN, we only make things the Italian way. If you want one like that you should go to a Mexican place!"

"You're kidding!" I replied. He shook his head. I replied- "Then I"ll go someplace where they make the drinks the CUSTOMER wants, not the way YOU want." and got off the stool.

As we walked out the guy was shouting at us in Italian and ended it with "boff an coulo"! My spelling could be off- but I recognized the phrase- it was 'shove it up your a@#". Now how's that for dignity and customer service??? I"m sure the couple eating there were impressed too!
Doesn't matter how good the food MAY be if you're treated rudely by some jerk.

• Visited February 2013
Santa Rosa CA
“No Place to Celebrate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We chose this place to celebrate our daughter's 21st. birthday as we thought it could be a rather fun, festive choice. Mistake! Other than carding her for her cocktail that was it. No dessert with a candle, no singing. The food was average. Salad or soup was extra. No veggies or sides included.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Good unique variety of Italian fare. Interesting and delicious vegetable and pasta selections. Not your typical spaghetti and meat ball place but the have that too. Affordable pricing.