“Magical” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WildSpring Guest Habitat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Orford
WildSpring Guest Habitat
92978 Cemetery Loop, Box R, PO Box R, Port Orford, OR 97465   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Port Orford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portland, Oregon
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I were the only guests staying here for one night recently, on a trip from Portland to San Francisco. We arrived after dark and followed the instructions in the lovely guest porch just inside the gate. The paths were lit with lights under the trees and everything was really quite magical.
Our cabin was delightful - super-clean and comfortable with lovely touches like candles and chocolates. Best of all was our short trek through the trees to the hot tub, overlooking the ocean and the stars - which we had all to ourselves that evening. Perfect!
In the morning we were treated to an extraordinary breakfast in the guest dining room, prepared by our host who quickly gave us space to enjoy it once he was done presenting it all. It was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a B&B, including a quiche, bacon, oatmeal and fruit and nuts, many baked treats and even a fruit cobbler, which I desperately wanted to try but simply didn't have any room for!
I cannot wait to revisit this gem. We felt fortunate to have found it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is the best-ever stay for my wife and I except for our honeymoon. We biked there, asked them to have the hot tub ready for us. We caught the end of the sunset over the Pacific and enjoyed the entire stay. Breakfast was incredible and we enjoyed it with another couple staying there - it was a joy to meet them. The innkeepers took care of us, but stayed out of our way so we could enjoy the solitude.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently made my third visit to Wild Spring and it never disappoints! I love the solitude, silence and the smell of the trees!! I really like the aspect of being "left alone" with self check-in (if you choose) and being on my own to wander the beautiful grounds. I like that the innkeeper's let you be on your own, but they are more than happy to accommodate your needs. It is perfect for a solitary person, like myself.
The cabins are exquisite with radiant heat floors and cozy beds. Plenty of inspiration to read, sleep, paint, journal...
Breakfast is always delicious with something homemade from the innkeeper's kitchen, and is enjoyed in the main guest house with an ocean view. You are free to go in there at any time for reading, games, hot chocolate or watching the sunset. I have only used the hot tub once, but it is sooo relaxing and inviting.
I LOVE Wild Spring.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am so disappointed that we only had one night here while driving the Oregon coast but boy did we ever pack a lot into the 16 hours we had there. We arrived at around 7 pm and the owner met us in the parking lot and wheeled our bags through the old growth forest to our cabin. We sprung for the most expensive cabin, which wasn't terribly expensive, but at $ 295 a night in off season it's getting up there. It was worth every penny! It is called "Annwyn" and is the biggest cabin with a separate bedroom and the only one with a wood stove. We built a great fire and I stayed up until almost 3 am enjoying it and cabin because I wanted to get my monies worth. There is a HUGE hot tub up by the owners home and the building that houses the guest area for breakfast. Breakfast was good but pretty simple. The owners really left us to ourselves but would be readily available if you needed something. We hit the hot tub around 8:30 and stayed in until 10:00 pm. Perfect heat and no other guests so we had it to ourselves. It was awesome listening to the ocean in the distance. During the day you can actually see the ocean from the tub. This place was unlike any place we have ever stayed in the past. Very zen like and super cool in this beautiful place. There are about 3 restaurants just about a mile drive away. Highly recommend this property. It's the type of place that you stay where years later you talk about how amazing it was. Spend the extra and stay here!

Room Tip: All the cabins are located in the same area with no view. Annwyn is the biggest with a separate bed...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

All reviews are in the eyes & experiences of the beholder. That being said, for us this place was over rated and over priced. At $300 a night, we like just a little more service, or a fabulous view that makes up for it. So, for us this place was lacking. I don't like to clean up after myself at breakfast, for instance, when I'm on break :)
Also, the cabins are small and crowded with stuff. You have to take a cart with your luggage, & then return the cart to the car park, & it was raining & chilly. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013
WildSpring, Owner at WildSpring Guest Habitat, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hi, we're sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would have been happy to come down and handle your luggage if you had called us on the intercom at the little checkin gazebo when you arrived (this is so guests don't have to come all the way up to the office just to check in). And while it was nice you felt the need to clean up after yourself at the breakfast buffet, that wasn't necessary. As far as the view, the rain probably obscured it.

As we explain in our website, we design our service to be behind the scenes. We try to ensure anything our guests need is right there when guests first realize they need something, and anything else, we are always there and answer the intercom 24/7 to offer any assistance needed....whether it's bringing a bottle of wine to your cabin or making dinner reservations, or coming down to help you and your luggage back to the car when you leave.

WildSpring is a different kind of place and we go to great lengths on our site to make sure people understand that before they choose to stay with us. Vacations are important and we hope you found the rest of your trip more to your taste.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The property is lush, green, and tranquil. The outdoor sculptures add interest and character. The cabins are exquisitely appointed, comfortable and relaxing. The main guest house is perfectly situated to allow one to enjoy a lovely ocean view while enjoying a delicious and bountiful breakfast. Looking forward to returning to this great spot with friends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Blaine, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a nice place to stay when you need to slow down and relax. We were impressed with the effort the owners have taken to make this a unique and special place. We were a little frustrated by the check-in process and were scolded by Michelle when we entered the office... we were told that we should have brought the email which she sent to us 3 months earlier, which would have explained the check-in process. I forgot to apologize for leaving it at home in Minnesota. DOH! I have read many reviews describing how warm and friendly Michelle & Dean are but we didn't feel that at all.

We were disappointed that they take such a 'hands-off' approach (self service check in and check out, notes left on your door). We only saw Dean for a few minutes at breakfast, and never saw Michelle after our scolding. I am discovering that B & B owners that claim to "leave you alone" are really saying we don't want to spend the time or energy to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying yourself. Lazy?

Anyways, we still enjoyed ourselves. WildSpring is a small, eco-friendly resort, 60 miles north of California and on the outskirts of Port Orford, OR. It is private and very secluded on five acres of towering old growth pine trees, which make a beautiful and mysterious canopy over the five cabins. It is an ideal location for exploring nearby beaches, towns and State Parks.. or like us, a perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day of driving. Very quiet and peaceful.

Our cabin was cozy but not elegant. Furnishings were a little dated and the cleaning staff missed a few things. I am being nit-picky here, but after all you are paying top dollar so the expectation is top quality accommodations & service.

Hot tub was a great experience with the view of the ocean and gentle breezes cooling us down. The breakfast was just OK. I would probably not stay here again. For my money, I would want to check out something else.

Room Tip: Each cabin is unique... yet similar.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WildSpring, Owner at WildSpring Guest Habitat, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hi, we're so sorry you found parts of your stay with us disappointing, especially our simple - but unusual - checkin process. We don't have a formal lobby, but we don't make guests come all the way up to the office just to check in. If you had used the intercom in our little checkin gazebo in the entrance, we would have been happy to come down, show you to your cabin and help with your luggage. When you knocked on our door after hours, I remember asking if you had the email we had sent a few weeks before so we'd know which cabin you were in... since I was away from the computer at that moment. I'm very sorry that sounded like I was scolding you. Certainly not my intent. Since we're so remote, we designed this system to allow guests to check in at any time without feeling they have a deadline.

And, our hands-off approach is to allow guests all the peace and privacy they desire, but I'm always in the office to help, and Dean is always walking around for the same reason. We explain this in great length in our website so guests come here understanding what it's going to feel like to stay here. No one has enough time and money for the vacations they need, so we want people to understand what they will - and won't - experience here.

Our furnishings are an eclectic mix of art and antiques, and the photos on our site try to capture each room from every angle. We understand antiques might seem a bit dated, frankly that's the point. You stayed in Barenton, which our guests tell us is the most romantic.

We are most sorry you found our housekeeping had missed a few things and really wished you had let us know while you were here so we could correct them immediately. We will discuss this with them and go over our quality-control procedures.

We hope your next vacation is more to your expectations.

Been to WildSpring Guest Habitat? Share your experiences!