“Great Pad Thai” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Asian
Philomath, Oregon
“Great Pad Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Don't let the look of the outside fool you. This is the place to be if you want Thai food. The inside is quirky -- logging memorabilia and a framed poster of Buddha. Oddly enough, it works. Eat here, you will love it. The portions are huge -- you will leave with leftovers.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Corvallis, Oregon
“This is a SURPRISE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is great Thai food in an American food, rustic restaurant. I don' t quite understand it. But, it is really good and the David Lynch atmosphere makes it even better.

Vancouver
“Phenomenal Thai Food in Philomath...who would have thought!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

An amazing menu, lots of great specials, good drinks and, best of all, great prices! My favorite (if there can be just one) are the salad rolls! If you're on your way to or from the coast, you really should check out this gem. I rate this right up there with the Thai restaurants in Portland!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oregon
“Best Asian Food in the Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This restaurant is a gift to the Willamette Valley. My friend who is a professional chef describes this restaurant as a place where one can step out of a nearby river with fishing boots on and step into this restaurant without feeling out of place. The restaurant is on the fringe of Philomath, which is a small logging town. So, don't make the trip here if you're looking for interior decoration or ambiance. The draw is the food, so get over the giant saw on the wooden-plank walls. The Tom Yun soup is amazing. The Pad Thai is very good. We've been here three times and each time the food was excellent. We've visited Pok-Pok is Portland several times and I prefer the food at the Woodsman over this Portland establishment. I'm guessing that those who won't like the Woodsman do not like spicy food. The food is not an American/Thai hybrid that has been stripped of its flavor and replaced with some form of ketchup sauce--this is the real deal and you won't find Asian food quite this good for a 100 radius.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philomath, Oregon
“Very mixed experiences, good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I live in Philomath, so we have eaten at this restaurant several times. However, we have not returned recently because our experiences have ranged from quite delicious to pretty awful. In fact, the last time we ate there, I asked how many chefs were employed, in case our bad experiences were just with a particular chef. However, the chef is the same, so I'm not sure why the quality varies so greatly. I feel the "American" items are safer and more consistent quality-wise. I love Thai food, but I am often disappointed in the quality of preparation of the Thai meals. The score differences of the other reviews on this site do not surprise me, as they reflect our experiences. We have had two terrific meals, two poor meals, and probably two that were OK. The broccoli in my last Thai order was so raw that it would barely cut with a sharp knife (and I like my vegetables al dente). The level of heat (spice) was over the top, and I enjoy spicy Thai foods, like chicken laab. The amount of spice made it inedible, and that's saying quite a bit for me. I believe the biggest issue with this restaurant is that it offers far, far too many items on the menu. The menu is several pages long, small font, at least a dozen or more choices on each page. If the owners pared down the menu to a few items and prepared them well, I feel they would have more success. I give this restaurant three stars, but actually it's either much better or much worse. I wish they would find success and consistency, however, as their hearts are in the right place and they work very hard. The service is quite good.

• Visited May 2011