“Great skiing” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas
Activities: Skiing, Snowboarding
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A popular ski resort area on Mount Hood with plenty of trails from beginner to expert.
Portland, Oregon
24 attraction reviews
“Great skiing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I go up to ski on Mount Hood every season when I can. This is the place I always go to. The skiing is phenomenal! Beginners have awesome slopes to try and even the hardiest skiiers have some bowls they can play in.

Mt Hood Parkdale
3 attraction reviews
“Meadows - excellent for new & old!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have skied @ Meadows since it opened in the 60's. They have excellent packages for beginners as well as double diamond terrain for the experts. Now, with their latest quad lift, the lines are short & you can get a lot of runs in for the buck!

PacNW
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent Expert Terrain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Some of the best expert terrain in Oregon can be found in Heather Canyon at Mt. Hood Meadows. Although parts are not always open due to weather or other factors, Heather never fails to challenge.

Visited February 2012
Seattle, Washington, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Great resort for families, beginners and good skier/riders alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I think Meadows is an excellent resort and could not disagree more with one of the negative reviews I saw.
I have skied and ridden most resorts in Oregon, Seattle adn BC and I find Mt Hood Meadows to be one of the best in the region and surely the best close to Portland.
The terrain is very large and diverese. The many chairlifts cover several ridges and different sides of the mountain, allowing for easy riding on the groomers on the main runs (mostly green/blue) but also for finding your own lines in the trees and in more difficult chutes. On good snow days there are several black diamonds open in the main area and then great expert terrain in the "Heather Canyon" and "Private Reserve" area. There is also often ungroomed terrain to the sides of the main runs that works well for a board or fat skis.
I love the resort for a comfortable family outing on the groomers when snow is hard and then put in a good "adult" day when the fresh snow is in and the Canyon is open. There is truly a bit for everybody.
Granted the snow is often wet (NorthWest is not Colorado...) and occasionally you get rained on, bu I actually have found that the conditions page on the resort site is extremely honest (sometimes I think too honest for their business) and I just check the conditions before heading up. I have surprisingly found that I have even enjoyed some rainy days: easy parking, no lines for chairs, friendly staff distributing free rain ponchos and freshly baked cookies...and my expensive GoreTex gets put to good use..
The mountain does get lots of snow though so general cover is nice.
Given the proximity of a major city like Portland, the parking gets admittedly a bit crowded but the staff does a great job making it as painless as possible. There are shuttle buses from every annex lot and even in the main parking lot so that you don't have to walk too far, which can be an issue with small kids like I have...
Lines are short or very reasonable either on a bad day when not too many people are on the mountain or on a very good day when all the chairlifts are open, distributing the people. They may get long on the tweener or storm recovery days, when the weather is promising enough to draw the crowds but chairs are not all open yet. Again, the conditions page does give information about the expected lift opening so I normally check it before heading up the mountain.
The staff is very friendly, even more so this year, I have noticed, maybe they have put a special effort on it. From the bus driver helping my son with his skis to the person cleaning our food trays, I have enjoyed the personal connection that they try to make. The food is pretty good with 4 different choices of restaurants. Crowds seem to stay at the main pizza/chili/amercan vendor. Try go upstairs for Mexican or to the newly opened sandwich soup place (fresh tracks, I believe) and you find shorter lines. This year they have also introduced a pager system which makes waiting for your food way more conveninent.
All in all, I really like this place for a well rounded resort within reach of major NorthWest areas. I'll head to the Rockies when I have the money and time, but for now Meadows is a very good local alternative...

Visited February 2012
Portland, Oregon
12 attraction reviews
“Best in The West!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is an amazing ski area, something for everyone!! Don't miss getting a smoothie at fresh tracks!!

Visited December 2011