“Go, but be prepared to take care of yourself.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Lake Hot Springs

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paisley
Summer Lake Hot Springs
You added Summer Lake Hot Springs to your Saves list
28513 Highway 31, Paisley, OR 97636   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Paisley
Portland, Oregon
“Go, but be prepared to take care of yourself.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stayed in the Manzanita cabin for three nights with wife and daughter, and can only speak for it. Sleepless because room was full of bugs--I'm an entomologist: mosquitoes, midges, mayflies, deer flies, house flies and no-see-ums; some biting, some not. All irritating when they buzz you or fly into your ear when you're trying to get to sleep.

Room was also nightmarishly hot, because there is no screen on the door, and you can't leave it open for cool night air. A few small windows are screened, but the big one is not, and the few that are have screens that don't fit, so bugs can waltz in at will. If management would screen the door and the big window, it would be possible to turn on the ceiling fan and exchange hot inside air for cool outside air.

The hot springs are clean and pleasant and when we were there, the right hot temperatures for soaking. The staff is friendly and pleasant, but you're going to encounter problems here, and they are not going to solve them for you. Following are ways you'd better be prepared to solve them yourselves. It took me about three hours of fixing up the Manzanita cabin after that first sleepless night, after which we were comfortable there.

1. Take a small bedside fan, to cool yourself down at night.
2. Take a fat roll of duct tape, or wide masking tape, to tape the gaps between the window screens and windows. I spent a couple of hours doing this, and it worked, but I suspect the duct tape I applied will have been removed before you arrive: it's an unsightly admission of failure to do their own repairs.
3. Take 2-3 rolls of paper towels. Wet them down, and use them as pads to capture all the ambient bugs that will be there to greet you when you arrive. You're going to have to make a clean sweep of the place before you go to bed, because keeping insects out is not sufficient when the place comes abundantly supplied with them in advance.
4. Take a minimum of two fly swatters, one to leave on front and back window sills. You'll apply them constantly. It can become an enjoyment.
5. Take all the toilet paper you think you will need for the length of your stay. There will likely be a part of a roll in the bathroom when you arrive, but it won't last long, and it won't be replaced. If you need tissue, take tissue. None is supplied.
6. Take a mouse trap. We heard one scratching every night at the kitchen, but when it finally manifested itself by crawling out from under the counters, it was the biggest beetle I've ever seen, and I've seen beetles from Patagonia to Vietnam. If it wasn't two inches long, the fingers with which I held it up to show my wife and daughter, to their horror, are stubs. But mice are reported in other reviews, so you should be prepared.
7. Take two oversized black garbage bags, or a 4'x6' sheet of 3-mil black plastic. The door is not screened, it has cottage windows, and it opens inward. Moths, midges, and many other insects are phototrophic: they're attracted to light. When you turn on the inside lights at night, they shine through the cottage windows, and that door gets pre-loaded with from 10 to 100 moths and midges and other pleasantries. Every time you open the door, you automatically sweep them inside the cabin. Use your duct tape to tape your garbage bags or plastic sheeting over the cottage door windows, to black them out. The bugs are then attracted to the light shining through the windows where you've already duct-taped the screens, rather than loading up on the door windows to get delivered into the cabin.
8. As soon as you arrive at this cabin, remove the curtain and rod from the long east window, and jam it into the door frame, on the outside. It fits, unless they somehow change it to defeat this defense--it wouldn't surprise me. Do what you need to do to rig an outside make-shift screen door. Then when you open the door, you sweep this aside, and it shifts the bugs into the outside air rather than delivering them into the cabin.
9. I was told the big window will be screened, making it possible to open it when the air outside cools down at the end of the day. This will permit exchange of air, rather than re-circulation of hot inside air. I doubt it will be screened when you get there. If I were ever to stay in this cabin again--you're beginning to assess the probability of that!--I would bring a 6'x10' roll of window screening. I'd use my duct tape to fix it over the outside of that big east window. It would diminish the view of the new cabin being constructed next door, but it would let me sleep cool at night, which wasn't a problem I was able to solve while we were there. If I did screen that window, I'd take the screening with me when I left, so it wouldn't be there for you...sorry; bring your own.
10. You're on your own here at Summer Lake Hot Springs. You'll love the managers, but only if you're prepared to do for yourself what they should do for you. For example, the shower curtains in the public showers--there was no shower or bath in the cabin--fell down each time my wife or daughter used them. It took me two pieces of tape, and about one minute each, to fix the curtain rods. I had to wonder: How long have those been falling down every time somebody takes a shower, and yet, nobody ever bothered to simply fix them?
11. If you have a portable tool kit, bring it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

stayed a night based on friend's love & recommendation of the place. the drive had some pretty parts (drove in from portland, or) but many parts left us scratching our heads at why the map dotted the route as scenic. the place was dirty, broken, & unkempt, e.g., trash over flowing bins, trash laying about the land, trash on tables, dirty toilet, dirty sink, broken toilet, & broken tables. i did not feel anything from 'the secret" sitting under the water except hot water however my companion liked it. the place grossed me out, but i did enjoy the birds at the pond. the hosts were way laid-back which was good & bad. got there on a mon at about 6 pm (long drive) & was told the springs would be closed from 8 PM to the next morning for cleaning - that is the main reason we went & we did not hear about that until we arrived - i think that was wrong! the plan was to use it at night time (usually it's open 24/7). it was of course busy between 6 PM & 8 PM, because everyone was trying to get in the soaking pool before it closed! took a hike - the fence gates were not gates... i was hoping to see bright stars as well, but for some reason it the stars did not shine very bright despite it being clear (no one's fault on that but a bummer). porta potties were ok when toilet paper was in them. i totally agree with previous reviewers comments about their website looking A LOT better than the actual place. the little outdoor soaking tubs looked great on the website but not so much in actuality - they were right next to the big soaking pool (which was tiny, eerie, & dirty) & it was not private. the area around the hot springs is somewhat scenic (depending on what you like). so, overall i just have to give it 2 stars - 1 for the small supposedly magical hot springs water that poors from a pipe & 1 for the somewhat scenic area around the area. i will not return - i just felt a little ill the entire time there from the dirtiness factor (i have been to MANY places including primitive camping sites that were much cleaner). if you want hot springs, you can give it a try, well assuming they are open when you arrive (call ahead to see what the cleaning schedule is). have no other standards & you will be good to go.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Paisley hotels

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Just the journey into Summer Lake alone is 5 stars. East, by Northeast, from the inland coast valleys of Oregon...leaving behind 5 different, diverse bio - regions. Do plan to drop in, and down, stay awhile. The setting is acient, and it takes a few days to come into the "place".. Timeless and more timeless. Very little effort is required on your part. Pack according to season, take lots of nibbles. Leave the car parked, and venture on foot. Be prepared to enjoy the simple pleasures of life... ( eat, drink, be very merry). The venue is rustic, and charming by default. Go with an open mind, and even more open heart. While this is not the "drop down and in" for many folks, those who partake have found the magic to be sufficient to restore and renew. Some what interesting to note is the abundance of simplicity... Drop what you expect, and allow what is..you will not be disappointed. Our host was most gracious in providing exactly what we needed...

Room Tip: Try online and then landline.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Obviously not everyone is going to like this place. And that's just fine. However if you like Hot natural mineral water that you can enjoy in a beautiful, quiet setting, this is the place. It is true that the place is a little run down, but the water is perfect. If you're not camping or RVing then the 2 cabins are nicest places to stay. If you prefere going to an overpriced, overcrowded, chlorinated hot springs resort, more power to you. As for me, I'll be going back here again soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

The occasion was a treasured family member's 60th birthday and her birthday wish was that our family travel to Summer Lake Hot Springs for the weekend. She hadn't stayed there before, but when exploring that part of Oregon years ago she'd stopped in to look around. She's talked about getting back ever since. We were in the Ranch House, and were very impressed with the amount of space, the kitchen facility, the pools out back, everything! We loved its rustic, funky-cool atmosphere, and found it perfect for our relaxing away-from-it-all family weekend! We were thrilled with the space in that we were able to create wonderful meals, play games for hours, soak ourselves limp like linguini, and enjoy the beauty displayed on this piece of the earth. Sitting outside in the hotspring during snow flurries was an especially nice moment. The Ranch House had such a homey, welcoming vibe that I remember remarking to a sister that I thought the house really liked us being there. Yes, a couple cobwebs, big deal. Something I've marveled at from our wonderful weekend is that -- although generally I return home exhausted after traveling, no matter how much I've enjoyed myself -- after this trip I wasn't tired at all! The accommodations were just so comfortable I returned as rested as if I'd been sleeping in my own bed at home. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Booked 3 nights online for a romantic weekend. It was a little slice of heaven for us with starry nights, long vistas, and a gorgeous outdoor rock pool. We spent our days exploring Winter Rim, Thompson Reservoir and the nearby wildlife refuge. Lots to do for us 'desert rats'. The owner was expecting us and had the cabin ready. No, it's not the Ritz, but we had all the basics: comfy bed, towels, and a kitchen. Bring your own food, beverages, and drinking water (the water on site is okay to drink, but not tasty). There is a good restaurant in nearby Paisley (make sure they're open!).

If you hate bugs, spiderwebs, and dust, must have air-conditioning or TV, this isn't the place for you. Summer Lake Hot Springs is wonderful for those with adventurous spirits and easy-going attitudes. Five stars, it's not, but the solitude and incredible quiet was perfect for us!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

This quiet place in the high desert is a compound of attractive and comfortable cabins next to a rennovated barn with a big indoor hot springs pool and a lovely one outdoors. The tranqility is somewhat marred by an overabundance of rules posted everywhere trying to ensure that all the guests "respect the sacred place." The hosts keep the place beautiful and clean but were a little less than helpful with the essentials like on Mondays there is no place in Paisley to find a meal. Also, their sleeping accomodation for that third person, our child, was a very thin and inadequate mat on a cement floor. With enough preparation this is a good place to rest after a long drive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Summer Lake Hot Springs? Share your experiences!