“Overpriced, average food, and the service is worse” 2 of 5 stars

503-965-9990
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Delicate Palate Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 13 restaurants in Pacific City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Ave
Portland, Oregon
“Overpriced, average food, and the service is worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Came in for dinner while attending the excellent Pacific City Birding and Blues Festival. First the only redeeming quality to this restaurant: ambiance. Nice tables, nice layout, couple of musicians playing. Not bad if you're only out for a nightcap. Unfortunately, if you want food and service you're in trouble.

Trouble started with water. Water? Yup. Was brought a full glass with lots of ice and a slice of lemon. Unfortunately I get sore throats from ice water so I asked, as I often need to in restaurants, for no ice. Server happily obliged, and brought back a nice glass of no-ice water. But she left out the lemon. My server then kind of disappeared so I asked another server if I could get a slice of lemon. Again, happily obliged. Two minutes later she walks in with the lemon --- in her hand --- and drops in into my water!!! I sat aghast. I don't think I've ever seen this before. Finally my server appeared and I told her about the other server and the "from her hand to my glass" action. My server apologized, said she thought I had asked for no ice and no lemon (which I had not) and then brought me a new glass: no ice, and a slice of lemon. Wow. What an effort just for water. But wait, there's more.

For dinner I ordered off of the bar menu: fish tacos (cod), a side order of vegetables (green beans), and a glass of house white. When I ordered the fish tacos I said I didn't want the sour cream or, as the menu puts it: cilantro-lime sour cream. The server specifically wrote that down.

The wine came first and was fine. The rest came quite a while later, perhaps 15 minutes, which seemed a lot for tacos and veggies. Anyway it wasn't a big deal. However, the tacos had the sour cream on them. I asked the server why and she said, a couple of times, that it was all mixed together. I said I did not want the sour cream stuff, as I had ordered. She seemed a bit uncertain as to what to do and finally said, do you want us to re-do them. I said yes; I wanted the tacos the way I had ordered them. She took them back and left me with the green beans and wine. Nice meal.

The server did come back promptly, within five minutes, and brought the new tacos without sour cream mixture. The tacos had a very small amount of rubbery cod inside, a little salsa, and a huge pile of shredded cabbage. Essentially they were cabbage tacos. I ate them, as well as the green beans, drank the glass of wine, and it cost about $21. And this was from the cheaper bar menu!

The owner or manager did come over and offered me a free dessert, acknowledging that there was a problem. I said I didn't want a dessert (I rarely order desserts) and she left. I thought afterward that if she really wanted to comp me something, she could then have offered to comp me the glass of wine. But no.

In conclusion, this place is absurdly overpriced (check out their website), the service is simply clueless and the food, from my limited experience, is not worth it. There are other places in small Pacific City which do a much better job. Save your money, save your palate, and save your time: don't go here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
“not. as good as before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

we went back with hopes of enjoying another great meal as our past two were. we were the only ones in the restaurant which was not heated very well. I ordered salmon which was over done and very fishy smell, but my husband's steak was fine. It seemed like they were out of a lot of wines. And the meal took a while which being the only ones there seemed off. Will I go back? Probably not sorry to say.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redwood City, California
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I'm always looking for little unknown restaurants with atmosphere and great food. This restaurant fits the bill. You can get just as good a meal here as in a fine restaurant in the City. The wine list is very good too. A nice romantic atmosphere.

Visited September 2012
Denver, CO
“Very slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I would try the bar menu next time. the service in the dining room not worth the wait for gourmet?? food.

Visited July 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have eaten here twice when I've visited friends in Pacific City. We eat on the bar side, rather than in the dining room bc there's a $20 per plate price difference. The bar is very tiny, the dining room huge (complete with table linens, etc). The last time I ate here (a week ago) there were ten people total ordering food all night & the service was SLOW. The other 4 members of our party were served before I got my crab cakes.... 10 mins after everyone else. The cakes were not seasoned well, nor were they hot. The dessert was good, however, and they make a good cocktail. Next time, we'll eat at home & go there for a nightcap.

• Visited August 2012