“Bad day or quality slipping?” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Corvallis, Oregon
“Bad day or quality slipping?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stopped by the Coffee House on Sunday around noon - right after their morning rush. One of the servers said they had been unusually busy that morning. The biscuit was tough and dry. The grilled red potatoes were somewhat greasy. My wife, who doesn't drink coffee, detected traces of coffee in her chai. I'm not sure if it was due to a hectic morning, the fact that we were there later than normal or what, I hope quality isn't slipping. It was still good, just not as good as it has been.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newport, Oregon, United States
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Coffee House has marvelous omelets, biscuits and pastries. If you love corn beef, try their homemade Cornbeef hash and eggs. For lunch, you can't miss with the halibut sandwich. Best around.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Worst espresso ever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We went there this morning for a coffee, and I unfortunately had an espresso. I've had pretty bad espressos in this country as opposed to what you typically get in Europe, but man, never had it been this bad! I only took a mini sip and put it down, it was that bad.
Neverthess, I looked at the plates of breakfast food, and they looked good, so we might go back to try that, without coffee!

“Best breakfast anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We happened upon this restaurant a couple of years ago. Now we never miss having breakfast here whenever we travel to Newport. Yummy omelets, awesome coffee, and the baked goods are excellent. We love the atmosphere. It's always packed with locals with is a good sign.

Hamburg, Germany
“Pizza sized pancakes in a nice location, though quantity seems to be the point here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Located at the marina, this little restaurant among other things offers coffee and breakfast. For this we had planned a visit. We arrived on a nice sunny morning, finding the venue not too crowded - we even scored a table on the veranda. It took a little wait to be able to order. We decided on pancakes and a coffee as well as some freshly squeezed orange juice.

The drinks arrived after a little wait and were good - the coffee was fine, while the oj was great!

The pancakes took a little while and when they arrived, well, boy was I glad I had specifically ordered the small one! They were really the size of a pizza. While my husband had the blueberry one, I had the banana version. While his came topped with a sort of blueberry compote, mine had the maple butter on top. The butter was somewhat solid, so it took a while before it came to a spreadable consistency. When it did, I did not find it very appealing, I have to say. The combination of the thickness of the pancake, the huge portion and the fact that to my taste the dough lacked sugar made me eat very little of it. I actually felt bad, because after the positive reviews I wanted to like the food, but it just did not meet my taste. As my husband put it: it's food to knock yourself out with after a long night of partying. For that it surely might be great! For a simple breakfast, it was too much and - except for the great oj - not of the quality I would have hoped for. I might give one of the other breakfasts another chance, but the pancakes are not for me.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere