“A real gem of a find near Newport” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moolack Shores Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
You added Moolack Shores Motel to your Saves list
8835 N. Coast Highway 101, Newport, OR 97365   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Newport
Seattle
“A real gem of a find near Newport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I found this motel as closest to the campground my friends were staying at and once I'd checked in I went to my room only to find it was a corner suite with a balcony overlooking the beach and views up the coast. The room itself was completely set up with fridge, stove, microwave and all the gear necessary for cooking. It was decorated in a Hawaiian theme and, while maybe a bit over the top, was even more charming for it.

I brought my friends back to the room for an eat-in dinner and an evening of really pleasant conversation in this most pleasant of rooms.

I would certainly go back here, next time with my wife.

Room Tip: I had the corner room 10A and would heartily recommend it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Snoqualmie, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Low key, on the beach, do-your-own thing spot - gorgeous beach to walk on or just stare at from your room. Clean, short driving times to Newport, Depoe Bay, Lincoln City. Mellow owner. Perfect for hubbie & I to come to to relax & do whatever....we stayed in the Western room...all sorts of quirky decor....definitely a gem and we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed in the Racer's Room for two nights. The room was adequately sized and well laid-out. I enjoyed having a kitchenette at my disposal, and the fireplace in the room was a nice touch. The real bonus was the deck off of the bedroom. It was nice to fall asleep every night to the sound of the ocean. The hotel itself is right off the highway, but I didn't hear the traffic in my room. The only problem we encountered was with the shower, which only worked about halfway and alternated between scalding hot and freezing cold for no discernible reason - hence the "average" rating on the room. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from wanting to visit again, although next time I hope to get into the Hawaii Room.

Room Tip: Book early to get the room that you want.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

In October 2012, I began looking for a destination in Newport for our 2 year anniversary.I read many reviews online, and called to book an ocean view room. We went on April 2, 2013 and stayed overnight in the Racer Room! It was cozy, clean, and best of all, the perfect getaway. It was quiet, and there were no slamming doors. The ocean view was spectacular, and having beach access was even more so. The room was a bit dated, but well kept and tidy, and the management was extremely helpful and had great suggestions for places to eat and things to see. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the future! This place is a diamond in the rough, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice, quiet getaway with beautiful scenery. And also, we ordered food to go from a place called Local Ocean, and it was excellent! I ordered the Crab Po-Boy sandwich, and my hubby ordered fish and chips...so good! :)

• Stayed April 2013
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The traveller sites list this motel a s the 4th romantic. I beg to differ. Granted, it's tacky and in no way elegant in decor and doesn't have any services such as a pool , gym and bar or restaurant. But if you love the water, want a moonlit walk (if the timings right naked) on the beach, privacy and quiet; this is where you need to be. The first time we stopped was in desperation, late in the day and tired of driving. After that, always by choice. You can fall asleep to the sound of the crashing waves with the wood stove crackling, cook in the fuly equipped kitchen (including corkscrew), bask in the sun on your private Oceanside deck, or sip wine with your heels in the sand and the waves lapping at your toes. That's where I am going after my wedding in August!

Room Tip: I liked the racing room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Powell Butte, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

As a rule I never give great reviews for treasures we find close to home, but in this case I must make an exception. My wife and I are native to the State of Oregon and have visited the Oregon Coast for over 50 years, driving by this motel countless times. As we were going to stay a couple nights in Newport we found this place on the internet, and oh what a find it was.
Like I said I hate doing this as we usually like to keep good secrets to our self, but in this case I must share. The incredible experience began with our call on a Tuesday evening hoping to find a room for Wed & Thur night. The office was busy with another customer and I got a message that my call would be returned, ya right, I have heard that before, so I called again, getting the same message. Soon I did get that call, with a very friendly voice on the other end calling me by name, obviously I was not talking to a machine while someone on the other end was ignoring me.
We were delighted to get a reservation, and even more excited when we arrived the next afternoon. This was perfect, an old school motel on the Oregon Coast with owners and managers that go the extra mile to make sure your time away from home is a perfect experienc. There is not a better view of the ocean on any coast anywhere, the bed was as comfortable as our bed at home, which best case scenario is never the case.
I want to thank the owners and managers, and we will be back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed at Moolack Shores Motel at least ten times in the past thirty-five plus years. It is a motel you could easily drive pass and not consider as a worthy destination motel. Most guests have stayed at this motel in the past, or were recommended to stay here by someone they know. Theme rooms are dated but clean and well maintained. Most rooms have balconies that overlook Moolack Beach...great ocean views, especially at sun set. Beach access down a flight of well maintained stairs...great beach for walking...secluded with few others on the beach. Owners do make your stay worthwhile. Room rates are reasonable, considering it is the Oregon coast and close to Newport. Not our usual accommodation when travelling, but should we return to the Newport area we shall once again bring back memories by staying at the Moolack Shores Motel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Moolack Shores Motel? Share your experiences!