“A Great Little Motel Overlooking Moolack Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moolack Shores Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
You added Moolack Shores Motel to your Saves list
8835 N. Coast Highway 101, Newport, OR 97365   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Newport
calgary
“A Great Little Motel Overlooking Moolack Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed at Moolack Shores Motel at least ten times in the past thirty-five plus years. It is a motel you could easily drive pass and not consider as a worthy destination motel. Most guests have stayed at this motel in the past, or were recommended to stay here by someone they know. Theme rooms are dated but clean and well maintained. Most rooms have balconies that overlook Moolack Beach...great ocean views, especially at sun set. Beach access down a flight of well maintained stairs...great beach for walking...secluded with few others on the beach. Owners do make your stay worthwhile. Room rates are reasonable, considering it is the Oregon coast and close to Newport. Not our usual accommodation when travelling, but should we return to the Newport area we shall once again bring back memories by staying at the Moolack Shores Motel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Pendleton, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked the room about a month in advance, which worked great for us; we got the room of our choice, which was the Hawaiian room. We (my boyfriend and I) stayed here in mid-March, around St. Patrick's Day, I believe.
We arrived there mid day and parked in the empty parking lot, which was loose gravel, so I had to give it a little gas when we backed out. We went inside the office area, a very small space on our side of the counter; the other people wanting to check in had to wait outside. Yvette was the name of the woman who greeted us. She was very friendly, as she checked us in and gave us a verbal tour of the place, explaining how to get down to the beach and where our room was, in addition to the guest wash room and what have ya.
We went to our room which was on the northern corner of the motel, and it was lovely. Everything was decorated wonderfully and had a very homey feeling. It wasn't matching and flawless like many hotels. Instead, it was much more like staying in someone's home. A clean home, mind you. As we went around the corner to where the bed was, I was blown away by the view. I had seen the pictures and done the little virtual tour on their website, but I didn't think we would be THAT close to the water. Simply amazing!
We stayed for two nights and both were very comfortable. The sink in the kitchen had a hard time draining, but we didn't use it much anyway. Rather than bothering them in the night, I just left a note for them to take care of it when they cleaned the room while we were out and about.
The room was quiet, we didn't hear any neighbors but that was probably because I had the door open 90% of the time. Hearing the ocean from my bed was wonderful!
The ONLY thing I didn't like about the place was that when cars went down the street at night, their lights shone through the window, and reflected off of the window facing the ocean, making it look as though there were lights coming from the water. It caught my eye several times, so finally I closed the curtain. The parking lot was very crowded towards the end of the evening, so watch your doors!
Overall, the staff was friendly, the room was homey and clean to my standards, and the view was phenomenal! I am going to be staying here again this October in the Nautical room. It doesn't face the ocean, which is a bummer, but the theme is awesome.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there is no breakfast served, but several of the rooms are suites or mini suites a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

You need to get a reservation well in advance---they have a lot of regulars that are return clients. You really have to stay in one of their rooms to appreciate the different themes and it is easy to use their stairs to get to the beach and the tide pools. Very clean and comfortable with owners that are great hosts.

Room Tip: Look at their theme rooms on their website to decide which room will give you the most pleasure.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Love the seclusion, yet close to Newport and Depot Bay. Cool rooms but thin walls and very dated bathrooms. Road noise is up from last stay, but mostly tolerable. Ocean front decks were pretty new, but privacy is minimal. The price is pretty well adjusted for all things considered. Cleaning staff was very friendly. Its a great hotel for the positives but marginal for the negatives so it gets an Average rating. Saw 2 Whales from our deck.

Room Tip: Both rooms Oceanfront, neither room gives option to secure door from staff. Camelot room: Cal King...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Themed rooms. Website has pics of them, but they're better than pictured. 3 miles north of Newport, this particular stretch of beach is only accessible from a few places, so you have the beach pretty much to yourself. The views from the rooms are awesome. Very relaxing place to stay, great owners, completely gracious and a great deal. Destination stay, cheaper places in town.

• Stayed May 2012
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just got back from a two night stay in the Antique Room and I liked this place very much. It does not allow pets and that is a big plus for me as we usually travel to the Coast with our dogs and on that rare occasion when we do not take them a place that clearly reflects a lack of pet habitation is much appreciated. The hotel is also not really appropriate for young children, more of a quiet adult couples atmosphere, another plus for an old curmudgeon like me!

As previous posters have noted, the enviornment is not sterile; but if you're looking for a reasonably priced and clean place in a great location with genuinely friendly onsite owner/managers, then this place is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Spring for an oceanfront room. It really is as close to the beach as you can get.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

If I were submitting this review based on location, I would give it an excellent; if based only on quality and cleanliness of the rooms, I would rate it poor. My husband and I enjoy staying in places which allow us to do our own cooking which our unit had and that is a plus. We also do not mind staying in places which don't have the latest and greatest in modern improvements and upgrades. The problem with our room at Moolack was it needed a really good cleaning and some fresh paint. The "stuff" hanging from the ceilings and walls had cobwebs and was covered in dust, the bathroom fixtures had seen better days and the furniture needed a good vacuuming at the very least. We stayed in the Oregon unit, I do not know what condition the other units may be in. The prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moolack Shores Motel? Share your experiences!