“Exactly what I had hoped for!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moolack Shores Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Moolack Shores Motel
You added Moolack Shores Motel to your Saves list
8835 N. Coast Highway 101, Newport, OR 97365   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Newport
Chichester, New Hampshire
“Exactly what I had hoped for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had researched this area and this motel before deciding to make a reservation. I liked that it was very small and right on the ocean, but was a bit uncomfortable with the theme rooms. I chose the Whaling Room which does not have a balcony, but makes up for that by having a fabulous view up the beach, instead of straight out to sea. The room was quaint, comfy, had some nice details like binoculars. The owner was more than pleasant and accommodating. I was only able to stay one night, but I could see cozying up next the fire for some weeks to come. I had a smile on my face the entire time! Now this place is certainly not new, nor fancy, but it's homey in a way not often found in older motels. Convenient to Newport. It's consistently booked, so I'm not the only one who thinks Moolack Shores is special - don't miss it unless you prefer big high-end chain hotels.

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband & I stayed for 2 very relaxing nights in September. Left 1 of the windows open at night-absolutely wonderful being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves!. We had an ocean view room with a balcony and King size bed that was clean & comfortable. Nice to have a kitchenette so we could eat some of our meals in; didn't want to miss a moment enjoying the ocean. Would go back there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony facing the ocean worth the price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great location, great themed rooms and great value. We stayed in the nostalgia room which was very unique! We had a fireplace and a view of the ocean. I'd definitely stay here again. The only downside I can think of is its close to the road.

• Stayed September 2012
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We visited in early September 2012. We stayed in room #5, Camelot. The room was decorated in a Camelot theme decor. We had a balcony overlooking the ocean. The bead was very good. The room was very clean. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go to their website. Each room has a different theme. They have a map of the rooms and pictures.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Molalla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Christy and I often go to the coast without reservations. That never worked as well as this time when the Moolack Shores had a late cancellation and we happened to stop. The place is charming, beautifully located, innovativly decorated and managed by Frank and Yvette who are just plain wonderful. We'll go there again and again!

Room Tip: The themed rooms vary somewhat in cost but all are reasonable, so pick a theme that resonates with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I hate to leave a great review because I don't want anyone else to know about this place! My boyfriend and I stayed two nights. Great views and quiet. Loved the fireplace, and slept with the door open to hear the crashing waves. We stayed in different rooms each night because the one we wanted wasn't available, but we weren't disappointed. In fact, it was cool to experience the different themes. We left our stuff by the door because we wanted to go into town, and they happily moved our stuff to the other room for us. Very nice. :) This isn't a fancy place, but so so charming. We traveled up the coast and stayed at several oceanfront places along the way, but this was by far our favorite. We didn't want to leave and kept talking about Moolack Shores!

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms are nice. We stayed in the Nostalgia and Camelot rooms. We wanted oceanfront...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
WHITEHORSE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent either 3 or 4 nights here in August as we drove up the coast from San Francisco to Seattle. This was a great choice for us as we wanted to stay in a place where we could relax as a family, fix our own meals and enjoy beach walks and the ocean crashing against the shore. The view of course was completely amazing! I loved watch the waves roll in and all the activity of people on the beach and fishermen in the surf at low tide. A couple of miles away you can go tide pooling at the conservation area and take a walk up the lighthouse.

The rooms have a charm about them that is reminiscent of a family cottage - rustic - slightly outdated but comfortable in a retro kind of way. We stayed in the Oregon room which was clean and spacious. I liked that we were provided with a log a day for the fire. We didn't require the housekeeping as they came by when we were still in the room but they always took away our rubbish and topped us up with anything we needed. There were some great movies/vhs and we enjoyed an evening of some oldies we hadn't seen in a while. The room also had some games in it which we didn't get around to playing with but it was nice to know they were there if we had a rainy day and were looking for other activities to keep us busy.

The only thing that was a slight nuisance was that this room was right in a dead zone for internet so we had to go sit down in a chair at the south end of the hotel when we wanted to do anything. It wasn't too bad as there was a chair to sit in and it was in a spot that wasn't affected by the wind - plus we rely on internet too much so it was nice to have a break from it.

The kitchen has the basics in it to help you get through a few days but don't expect to go there and have everything you need. We went to the local grocery store and bought things to make simple dinners including a hand made lasagna that we bought just to heat up and supplies for salads. We had some bad luck with food places in town but in hind sight we were not reading TA in between the lines. Just as an aside if you are going to eat in town take a look at some of the neat cafes and eateries in the Nye Beach area that offer much better food as similar prices to some other pretty standard options in town.

Also, having now been back from our trip for a couple of weeks I would like to offer some advise to people that having been along the coast. It's beautiful...ooouuus and aaaahhhhs around every corner. But the coast is much colder than in land. It was in the 60s along the coast and windy when the rest of the country was sweltering in 90 - 100F. So that has it's advantages and disadvantages. I wish we had taken some time on the coast and a little more time in land discovering rivers and lakes where the kids could have swam a little more. Don't get me wrong, I loved our time at the coast and really liked Moolack but we were often cold especially when walking along the beach.

Moolack is right off the 101 but you do not hear the traffic because of the sound of the ocean right outside the room. Given the size and location and the fact that there are only a few rooms - maybe 10 I think this is probably the best bet in Newport. It's not new and fancy but it does give you a proper break. I'm not a fan of being in a place with hundreds of people - this felt a bit more like a cabin get away.

The staff were fine - I think it was the owners who we dealt with - the guy was super friendly but not in your face at all. The woman has a bit of a process that she obviously repeated time after time when people checked in. At first I thought she didn't like us but I think she was probably just in her routine roll.

We would return.

Room Tip: Visit there web site to take a look at the rooms on offer. They all look pretty good, you just need...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Moolack Shores Motel? Share your experiences!